PREDICTIONS FOR BROKEN ARROW

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Since Cavies went unbeaten in 2002, this must be 2003. 

And I am afraid your friend was a little late to the party regarding BD "Finally" passing Cavies. BD went past them July 26th in Indy at Midwestern Finals and never looked back. Cavies never came close to beating BD the rest of the season. I believe BD beat them by more than a point all three nights finals week, so that was pretty much a forgone conclusion for that particular year. 

I think it was 2003. Sounds right. Maybe we were talking about captions or something. I honestly can’t remember the full context it’s been so long. But he was talking about in the judging booth how they talk out the scores between themselves and what not. Not that it’s a bad thing…end of the day, it’s an art and subjective scoring. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that the scores just gradually go up each night with rare corrections or fluctuations.  

4 hours ago, henry7184 said:

That’s why I didn’t list a “the show” for 2019. There wasn’t a show that just ran away with it. There wasn’t a show that you just knew was going to win after one viewing. At least for me, in 2016 and 2018 I knew the first time I saw Bluecoats and Vanguard they were going to win because those shows were just so spectacular. 

I could argue, by seasons end, in 2015 Crown had “the show” and BD still won. 2015 Crown was such a thrill to watch. From 2008 to 2016 I was the biggest Crown homer, and in early 2015 that show was such a dud - they sure did turn it around to be not only the most spectacular show of 2015 but Crown’s best show ever - both statements are IMO, of course.

The overall point here is from 2007 on only one corps stood in the way of anyone else winning DCI - the Blue Devils. And, you had to have “the show” to do it. I do think Bluecoats had “the show” in 2016. I don’t recall this season very well from a score perspective, but did Crown even beat them in 2016? I know BD did, but I don’t think it was many times. That 2016 Bluecoats show was so innovative - it changed the way corps uniformed and did props, and it changed it instantly. The next season everyone was follow Bluecoats lead in those regards.

This year there’s only one corps, IMO, that has the potential to have “the show” and that’s the Bluecoats. Their use of props is simply ahead of everyone else once again and I felt that was missing for them from 2017-2019. IMO, if Bluecoats don’t beat BD this year than no one is. I could be proven wrong in a few hours, haha.

I wrote that long winded post at 5AM.

My main points were

1. By the score sheets- Bluecoats 2019 was far better than 2016. The difference was BDs score- which is surprising because 2019 wasn't special. The scores were super tight in 2016 for 1-3...and where would DCI today be if say Crown won instead and downside up was just another 3rd place show? 

2. If any show had "that show" feeling since 2008 it was Inferno. Yes BD won anyway. Your point was proven. No show was "the show" so BD won by default. I guess I felt that way from 09-18. But 2019 was an anomaly both statistically and by "feel"

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

What exactly is innovative/different about the way Bloo uses their props compared to BD, SCV, etc? 

I think Bloo does cool things with their wheel. I haven’t seen BD or SCV in a couple weeks. My mom was visiting then we’ve been in Europe (so big time difference). BD uses their props really well and they are effective (their usage of props in 2019 was outstanding, IMO). Their props year are used as stages, basically. SCV just has members climb up them and do things. Again, they use their props well they just aren’t very innovative IMO - we’ve seen props used this way before. SCV 2018 was great use of props, very compelling, but their 2022 usage is the same as their 2019 usage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Crown did end up beating Bloo a few times in the Texas tour in 2016 iirc

Thanks. They had a great show in 2016. I was rooting for them to win it all, but just saw Bluecoats as unbeatable at the end, even though they really weren’t. 

3 hours ago, NewArpege said:

Right now BD and Crown are consistently the top scoring corps:  https://dci.org/scores/rankings

I’ve watched these scores every night for years and we rarely see much of a swing, unless a corp makes significant changes to their show and then they may jump a spot in the rankings.  We will see what happens!  

The judges absolutely check the DCI scores and they use them each night as a foundation for their scores. So in a way, yes, there’s coordination. I had a friend who was a judge on finals night (I think it was 02), and he told me the night before Finals that BD would finally pass the Cavies the following night, and they did.  He was very candid that the judges openly discuss rankings when scoring and even make decisions in advance. 

This exactly. But no one wants to listen. 

37 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Not a good night for the triple decker bacon cheeseburger 

Take that back - that's an awful thing to say 😂

• Haha 1