AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

This article clarifies how survivors feel when offenders are allowed back into the activity.  https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2018/12/accusations-of-sexual-misconduct-cast-shadow-over-former-oregon-crusaders-teacher.html

“Everything I went through was for nothing,” she said. “What did I accomplish?”

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

Because those he abused deserve better from DCI.

I agree, but that doesn’t really answer my question because this topic does nothing to actually help his victims.

Take it up with DCI or start a petition. Having a tea party on DCP discussing how awful of a man he is isn’t accomplishing anything 

Edit: sorry to sound harsh about it but honestly this type of stuff regarding abuse infuriates me and just talking about it won’t do anything for anyone. And his innocent daughter has already been roped in

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Cadet Guardy said:

Ouch, really? Bringing his daughter into this? Not cool, nor necessary - why would it matter to anyone? Her participation in the activity has nothing to do with this. She has nothing to do with this.

I don’t think he was saying anything bad about her.

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This article clarifies how survivors feel when offenders are allowed back into the activity.  https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2018/12/accusations-of-sexual-misconduct-cast-shadow-over-former-oregon-crusaders-teacher.html

“Everything I went through was for nothing,” she said. “What did I accomplish?”

And people with zero empathy will still wonder why she's exerting any mental energy over it.  Time and education will eliminate most of them soon, but not soon enough.  

I know nothing about the legality of trying to ban anybody from an event who isn't a registered offender.  Seems like this particular individual would probably welcome it in order to initiate litigation.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree, but that doesn’t really answer my question because this topic does nothing to actually help his victims.

Take it up with DCI or start a petition. Having a tea party on DCP discussing how awful of a man he is isn’t accomplishing anything 

Edit: sorry to sound harsh about it but honestly this type of stuff infuriates and me just talking about it won’t do anything for anyone. And his innocent daughter has already been roped in

it actually did do something: raise awareness to people like myself who were unaware of this mess. it also brings to light a big problem in DCI that people can now fight against and make a change.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My bad; I thought this was a forum for everything related to drum corps.  Specifically, I thought this was the "DCI World Class Corps Discussions" category.  The topic seems to fit this category.  (But, I could be wrong.)  

If deemed inappropriate, then I'm sure the moderators can & will remove the topic.  But there isn't anyone requiring anyone to read the topic & replies.  I just thought it was an important discussion.    

(My reply is written with a smile.) 😁 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

My bad; I thought this was a forum for everything related to drum corps.  Specifically, I thought this is the  "DCI World Class Corps Discussions" category.  The topic seems to fit this category.  (But, I could be wrong.)  

If deemed inappropriate, then I'm sure the moderators can & will remove the topic.  But there isn't anyone requiring anyone to read the topic.  I just thought it was an important discussion.     

it is an important discussion, do not apologize for bringing this back to light, it cannot be ignored or forgotten, and we gotta try to find a way to take some action because this guy being allowed back is deplorable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ashontheinternet said:

it is an important discussion, do not apologize for bringing this back to light, it cannot be ignored or forgotten, and we gotta try to find a way to take some action because this guy being allowed back is deplorable.

There is one individual in the article who was convicted, went to prison, and is a lifetime registered sex offender who was still allowed to participate in the activity.  He performed with the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble at the DCI Hall of Fame ceremony in 2015. I was there and saw it with my own eyes.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t think he was saying anything bad about her.

The subject of this topic posted on his social media that he was visiting his daughter.  I think family is important & personally, I think the subject should visit his daughter.  

But I also think there are consequences to ones actions which leads me to the questions, should he be allowed to attend DCI events & should he be allowed to have an active role in DCI in some form?    

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

More troublesome is that he has direct connection to SCV and if (as somewhat implied) his contributions to his connection to SCV are being implemented, it seems SUPER shady.  That arrangement makes me super uncomfortable.  Ugh.  

Back the truck up, excuse me what? 😠 Willing to inbox this if it's better. I thought I was up on all of this but clearly I'm not.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1