Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

1 hour ago, MikeZ said:

My thoughts on BD vs BAC after seeing both in person last night.

Boston may be the best drumcorps on planet Earth from minutes 8-10 of their show. They are firing on all cylinders at that point. Everything around that chunk of time ( minutes 0-8, and the ending) never reaches the heights of the "closer" for lack of a better term. Although they are spectacular at all times, the pacing feels a little strange for lots of the show. The brass (which are mind glowingly good) go large chunks without playing. Transitions from section to section are good, but not as smooth/seamless as BD.

These are all nitpicks, but when you are talking about the top 1-2 percent the little things absolutely matter. I thought BAC was clearly closer to Bluecoats than BD last night. Could that change in a week? Possibly. It would be awesome to see a new champion in year 50. Unfortunately, the kids in BAC are performing the snot out of what they have, but I do not think their show will allow them to catch Devils.

Ultimately, I was the big winner last night, as I got to see both shows up close an personal. Can't wait to do it again tonight.

Z

I think having 7 songs/movements in a 12 minute show is too much. I think it makes movements feel rushed and incomplete, and parts of the show feel disjointed and confusing. They are clean and perform the he77 out of the show. Their percussion and guard are top notch and brass is clean. But the program as a whole is just so-so to me. I know people are losing their minds cuz this year is historic for them, but as a whole, I prefer BD, Bloo and Crown shows over theirs.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sideways said:

The fact that dci has no judges on standby at the last regional is a knock on their credibility 

Sure thing 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BWise said:

I think the shirtless bit is completely unnecessary and vulgar  …  but I think it’s sweat  

Vulgar? Good lord it’s abs and nipples it’s not going to hurt you or anyone else in the audience regardless of age. Why are people so repulsed by the human body? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Vulgar? Good lord it’s abs and nipples it’s not going to hurt you or anyone else in the audience regardless of age. Why are people so repulsed by the human body? 

Back to the point .. is it necessary .. no .. so what is the point?  And it is hurting their execution with apparatus slipping off them. I’m not repulsed .. it’s just trying to sensationalize things .. that is what I think is vulgar. The action not the body. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

So thinking about PR, do you think they're planning to wear their traditional helmet @finals? I think that would give them a little emotional 'extra sauce' for championship week. (I know they would have to practice with them.). What if they even 'threw on a black cape'?  🤔  

That would go against the entire point of their show concept. The drum major has done a couple interviews about this topic 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Well its what I got since I am 800 miles away from the nearest live show. Just because I am not seeing live, does not invalidate the opinions I have. 

Hey, don't get your chonies in a bunch. Not "invalidating" your opinion. Opine away! Sorry to point out that Flo is a very limiting and poor perspective most of the time. The convenience is great, but the quality and professionalism of the production swings wildly from show to show and group to group. It can really slant, misrepresent and/or shortchange what the viewer sees vs. the "raw" product that a viewer in the stands has available to them. It's better than not seeing at all, but I'll just trust the judges, who are there and located at vantage points far superior to an internet stream. Your opinion is noted.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

2007? Wow. Did you attend at Pasadena? I know it was close that year, but I think the right group won that night. Loved Crown’s show that year, a real crowd favorite. 

yup and shows out on the west coast the week before - and rehearsals. Crowns show was very fun.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I think having 7 songs/movements in a 12 minute show is too much. I think it makes movements feel rushed and incomplete, and parts of the show feel disjointed and confusing. They are clean and perform the he77 out of the show. Their percussion and guard are top notch and brass is clean. But the program as a whole is just so-so to me. I know people are losing their minds cuz this year is historic for them, but as a whole, I prefer BD, Bloo and Crown shows over theirs.

Yup, biggest weakness (for me) is the music arrangement - and too many songs. The last few seasons it's like they refuse to play a song straight or not do a mash up. Glee! was canceled for a reason. But the corps itself is a caption monster and I do really enjoy it just due to the high performance levels = especially in the guard, snares, pit and segments of brass.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That would go against the entire point of their show concept. The drum major has done a couple interviews about this topic 

Probably my least favorite moment is when the DM takes the helmet off and shakes out her hair - she's lovely and a solid DM, but a corps is a unit and not really about individuals. I'm just old.

• Thanks 1