Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

13 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, but I am glad that disparity exists. Fan reaction should not influence scoring. If it did, there would be little variety in the activity.

It should influence the “communication” sub cap and the corps design choices ….IMO 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly. And, they are trained on what to listen to. They have the knowledge, experience, and expertise that we just don't have to assign their numbers.

I used to think it was more about politics than performance, but I've wised up. I really don't think judges are going to deny 150 kids the placement they should get due to politics or some other malicious reason.

Just as another POV, I used to go to critiques to learn how a judge assessed us and found out many times a judge had no clue how we had done certain moves.  But they evaluated the move. And I’d leave critique scratching my head.

There is also an instance I know of, where a visual designer,  a primary visual designer with one group and consulting designer with another, put in a drill move in both programs that was exactly the same.  Exactly! In the primary group with a long standing history of success, the drill move was praised for its content, execution, innovation, blah, blah blah. The consulted group received nothing more than a meh.  Fair at best.  For the very same move.

So judges don’t always have the knowledge or experience you may believe they do. Many do but not all.  And conversely, many people in the stands have been, or are,  instructors and judges,  and are quite qualified to assess what they see and hear performed and know if the adjudicators got it all right. 

• Thanks 5

Just now, Triple Forte said:

It should influence the “communication” sub cap and the corps design choices ….IMO 

I think the only affect fan reaction should have is an indirect one. Great fan reaction generally improves the MMs emotional connection to the performance, which in turn,  should improve the overall GE and ability to sell the show. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, brassboy said:

2007 Division I shows (and Denver/Boise/Ogden were shortly before the august shows):

6/16 Pleasant Hill, CA

6/17 Stockton, CA

6/20 Bakersfield, CA

6/22 Riverside, CA

6/23 Walnut, CA

6/24 Glendale, AZ

8/2 Albuquerque, NM

8/2 Hillsboro, OR

8/4 Tempe, AZ

8/4 Stanford, CA

8/5 San Diego, CA

8/5 Clovis, CA

8/7 - 8/12 DCI Championships 

thanks for the list - this is where I got to attend, I did tons of whining about the Rose Bowl crowd at the time, I'm not nearly frustrated now lol. The drinking, smoking, catcalls, booing, it was a lot to stomach. I felt the opposite in 2011 at Indy when I felt BD should have one. In both cases I felt GE bled over into performance captions. 

5 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Yes, but absolutely not become a popularity contest. JMO

• Like 1

Heinze, only for me. Period. No store brands, no Hunt's, no DelMonte if that's even still around. I'll pay the extra 40 cents a bottle. And on a hot dog? Blasphemous and if it already outlawed, should be. My Katz Deli Mustard imported all the way from NYC (take that, Pace!) and jalepenos only. No weird stuff like sauerkraut or relish. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I don't think so and that is because "communication" is subjective and personal. Example - I think 1993 Star of Indiana is the greatest show in the history of the activity on all levels. It also communicates very well to me. I have a good friend who hates it, thinks it is the most boring show in history, and doesn't understand why it scored and placed so well. It's "communication" was effective to me and it was ineffective to him. 

On the flip side, Blue Devils shows communicate really well to him, and they do not to me. I want the best corps to win whether they communicate to me or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDCorno said:

Hey, don't get your chonies in a bunch. Not "invalidating" your opinion. Opine away! Sorry to point out that Flo is a very limiting and poor perspective most of the time. The convenience is great, but the quality and professionalism of the production swings wildly from show to show and group to group. It can really slant, misrepresent and/or shortchange what the viewer sees vs. the "raw" product that a viewer in the stands has available to them. It's better than not seeing at all, but I'll just trust the judges, who are there and located at vantage points far superior to an internet stream. Your opinion is noted.  

Again I am smart enough to know the limitations of Flo. Its not like I have not seen a live show, or been around the activity for the past 30 years. 

11 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Heinze, only for me. Period. No store brands, no Hunt's, no DelMonte if that's even still around. I'll pay the extra 40 cents a bottle. And on a hot dog? Blasphemous and if it already outlawed, should be. My Katz Deli Mustard imported all the way from NYC (take that, Pace!) and jalepenos only. No weird stuff like sauerkraut or relish. 

Heinz only.  And I’ve discovered Duke’s mayo down here.  I was definitely nothing but Hellman’s but now…nothing but Duke’s.  

• Like 2