Staff Merry-go-round

While I'm interested in what almuni or other staff members and self-appointed important stakeholders have to say about the more contentious staff changes, I don't take much of it seriously.  It's the offseason and I enjoy gossip as much as the next person.

When it comes to member treatment or issues of abuse, the only voices I'm interested in hearing are the voices of marching members.  Something I've noticed is that when corps aren't paying attention to the needs of their members, THAT is when members start taking to social media, anonymously or otherwise, to voice their complaints.  Just something I think is important when attaching value to the polemics of the people I mentioned in my first paragraph.   

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

If you're saying he was fired for complaints that means the process was followed and the complainers have filed a report to home organization and DCI that would blacklist them from teaching. Or the rest would be rumors which a private independent investigation would determine if it's a lie or not. 

they're multiple mm stating such on social media, plus parents - so I'm not saying it, they are

and frankly there's others rushing to his defense - so who knows, which was my point

Anyone know why Ron resigned after DB was "retired"?

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Typically the case, money talks - I do find it interesting that Tom was fired (apparently) with cause (multiple member complaints) and then another drum corps is comfortable hiring him immediately & I certainly wonder if a thorough vetting process was done. I think the competitive pressures in the activity is part of what leads to the revolving door of (alleged) abusers - Joe and he are friends so the "I know he's a good guy" mentality also kicks in. Joe & Hopkins where also close BITD

Is anyone wondering why Ron left after DB was forcibly retired? That honestly worries me a ton - clearly someone with a first hand view of what actually happened is no ok with it. Please enlighten me if you know more.

It's also yet another example of a white male hiring another white male. Did any POC get an interview?

Something is starting to really reek in this activity, I find myself falling out of love with it - and I know I'm not the only one.

well we don't know what we don't know about Tom and Cadets ( except what everyone is talking about, which doesn't support "with cause"). it looks like Shane G had something to do with Tom getting brought into Music City as well. Maybe vetting was done. since transparency and drum corps very rarely go hand in hand who knows.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lance said:

While I'm interested in what almuni or other staff members and self-appointed important stakeholders have to say about the more contentious staff changes, I don't take much of it seriously.  It's the offseason and I enjoy gossip as much as the next person.

When it comes to member treatment or issues of abuse, the only voices I'm interested in hearing are the voices of marching members.  Something I've noticed is that when corps aren't paying attention to the needs of their members, THAT is when members start taking to social media, anonymously or otherwise, to voice their complaints.  Just something I think is important when attaching value to the polemics of the people I mentioned in my first paragraph.   

All else aside, I believe this is the first use of the word "polemics" on DCP. That, in itself, elevates the conversation.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well we don't know what we don't know about Tom and Cadets ( except what everyone is talking about, which doesn't support "with cause". it looks like Shane G had something to do with Tom getting brought into Music City as well. Maybe vetting was done. since transparency and drum corps very rarely go hand in hand who knows.

You are exactly correct. We will not know why TA was let go. That is a HR personal matter that usually is private. If he did in fact do something against DCI protocols, the Cadets would have to report that. I don't see that one bit. Just cause that some on here just loosely say might mean he violated a policy put in place by the Cadets. Maybe they have a dress code he didn't conform to. Maybe he didn't show up at staff meetings. Nobody knows. The current corp director for the Mandarins used to be SCV corp directors in the late 90's and early 2000,s and was fired. Nothing he did was illegal... just didn't work out. It's that simple people. Being fired does not make you a criminal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

What's come out has to do with TA stepping out of his lane into management territory with regards to rehearsal schedules, etc. No indication of personally abusive behavior or misconduct. Obviously it was enough of a conflict that they felt better moving in a different direction, but it makes one think that DB was in a jam either way. Keep a name staffer who doesn't respect the system, or terminate him and accept the blowback. No win.

I don't know how every drum corps does it but, I remember when I wrote and taught Drill. There were always brass, percussion and guard staff jockeying for field time. Sometimes those discussions were heated.  

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Even being closely tied to Cadets (which I am not), there are still many people who don't know exactly what happened. But I think you're right that he would be on the "Do Not Hire" list if what he did was egregious. Personally, I'm sad about it, but it's not the end of the world. 

How often is said list updated? Given DCI’s track record a month isn’t a lot

2 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

Well that’s 2022 staff. Site may not have been updated 

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

You are exactly correct. We will not know why TA was let go. That is a HR personal matter that usually is private. If he did in fact do something against DCI protocols, the Cadets would have to report that. I don't see that one bit. Just cause that some on here just loosely say might mean he violated a policy put in place by the Cadets. Maybe they have a dress code he didn't conform to. Maybe he didn't show up at staff meetings. Nobody knows. The current corp director for the Mandarins used to be SCV corp directors in the late 90's and early 2000,s and was fired. Nothing he did was illegal... just didn't work out. It's that simple people. Being fired does not make you a criminal. 

Honestly from all I’ve seen it was a power struggle. Looking at how things have developed and who is and isn’t there we know who did or didn’t win.

• Like 1