The Cadets 2023

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

No question this is a positive sign.

But (you knew that was coming)

At the same time, The Cadets are ignoring their original north Jersey roots.

When they first moved to Allentown, they said that they still considered themselves a 

New Jersey corps.

That's faded over the years, to the point where the only time

you hear from them is when they want a donation.

As I've posted, given their schedule, they could have done a show in North Jersey, (Clifton) where

there is a large group of Garfield Cadets Alumni.

For people like me, who grew up watching The Cadets, their abandoning New Jersey, hurts.

Maybe shift support to Jersey Surf and Raiders, both of which are based in New Jersey?   Cadets seem to be doing ok, but I am not so sure about Surf, which (to their credit) is limiting tour to stay within budget; and Open Class Corps (Raiders) always need more support than they have.  There is no reason why both of these Corps couldn’t be grown into future World Class finalists. 

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

When they first moved to Allentown, they said that they still considered themselves a 

New Jersey corps.

As I've posted, given their schedule, they could have done a show in North Jersey, (Clifton) where

For people like me, who grew up watching The Cadets, their abandoning New Jersey, hurts.

As someone who still wants to call Cadets Garfield, I agree the significance of roots is important. I also think a New Jersey show sponsored by the corps is a reasonable request but getting a date for a show is not that easy. There are fewer dates available from DCI due to new policies regarding rest for marching members. I believe there were problems with Clifton itself. I seem to recall hearing of safety issues and car break ins, and most likely heard of them on this site, maybe Facebook. I can’t vouch for the accuracy. One car could have been broken into and it could be reported “every car.” I’ve lived and worked in depressed urban areas so I know things get exaggerated. Sometimes too people decide they are unsafe but the real reason is unfamiliarity (I’m being charitable). Attendance is key too. The Northeast and some Midwest shows are not well attended by DCI standards which views shows in the South as the standard bearers. We’re lucky in Boston to have back to back shows in July sponsored by Boston Crusaders, but one of the shows was going to be hosted by Cardinals Alumni. I wonder if that will be the case next year.

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

As someone who still wants to call Cadets Garfield, I agree the significance of roots is important. I also think a New Jersey show sponsored by the corps is a reasonable request but getting a date for a show is not that easy. There are fewer dates available from DCI due to new policies regarding rest for marching members. I believe there were problems with Clifton itself. I seem to recall hearing of safety issues and car break ins, and most likely heard of them on this site, maybe Facebook. I can’t vouch for the accuracy. One car could have been broken into and it could be reported “every car.” I’ve lived and worked in depressed urban areas so I know things get exaggerated. Sometimes too people decide they are unsafe but the real reason is unfamiliarity (I’m being charitable). Attendance is key too. The Northeast and some Midwest shows are not well attended by DCI standards which views shows in the South as the standard bearers. We’re lucky in Boston to have back to back shows in July sponsored by Boston Crusaders, but one of the shows was going to be hosted by Cardinals Alumni. I wonder if that will be the case next year.

One has to believe that there aren't that many actual Cardinals Alumni still around....I think they left the field in the mid 70s.  There may well not be many of those folks still in a position to take on hosting a show.

Edited by craiga

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

New Jersey corps.

....New Jersey also needs to claim them via support, which hasn't happened enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

New Jersey corps.

FWIW, the Hawthorne Caballeros will be hosting their Grand Prix 2023 show in Clifton on July 8th.

DCA hasn't "forgotten" North Jersey, and this show has always been well attended.

https://www.hawthornecaballeros.org/2023/04/15/grand-prix-2023-tickets-on-sale-now/

---

As mentioned elsewhere, hosting a DCI show in Clifton is certainly challenging for both a financial and logistical perspective. 

Clifton doesn't have much parking, let alone places to park buses and semis.  This would require having the city of Clifton reserve street parking in advance.

You can't get to Clifton in a semi or box truck the way you can with a car -- these vehicles aren't allowed on the Garden State Parkway.

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I seem to recall hearing of safety issues and car break ins, and most likely heard of them on this site, maybe Facebook. I can’t vouch for the accuracy. One car could have been broken into and it could be reported “every car.” I’ve lived and worked in depressed urban areas so I know things get exaggerated. Sometimes too people decide they are unsafe but the real reason is unfamiliarity (I’m being charitable). 

I went to every Cadets Show going back to the 80's.

Actually took my brand new Probe there in 1990.

Never had a problem.

Don't know anyone who did.

56 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

....New Jersey also needs to claim them via support, which hasn't happened enough.

The Cadets decided to abandon New Jersey.

Not the other way around.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ykw said:

As mentioned elsewhere, hosting a DCI show in Clifton is certainly challenging for both a financial and logistical perspective. 

Clifton doesn't have much parking, let alone places to park buses and semis.  This would require having the city of Clifton reserve street parking in advance.

You can't get to Clifton in a semi or box truck the way you can with a car -- these vehicles aren't allowed on the Garden State Parkway.

The Cadets had at least one show a year in Clifton, pretty much every year since the 1980's.

I know, because my wife and I were there.

Never seemed to be a problem for corps or fans getting there.

In fact I know on some occasions The Cadets hosted clinics there.

Clifton always handled to the shows quite well.

Edited by rpbobcat

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The Cadets had at least one show a year in Clifton, pretty much every year since the 1980's.

I know, because my wife and I were there.

Never seemed to a problem for corps or fans getting there.

Clifton always handled to the shows quite well.

Yes.  I attended the last DCI show in Clifton in 2017 -- I think it was the weekend before July 4th.

That's also when the DCI tour started earlier, and Carolina Crown would still tour in the Northeast.

I think it's safe to say the Cadets haven't had the financial means to underwrite a show since the "Hop-ocalypse".    

Edited by ykw

4 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

You aren't wrong in any sense here. And I know that my enthusiasm over having the corps here in Erie is also matched with sadness from those that still miss them being in NJ. I'm sure they had every intention of trying to keep those NJ roots, but I think as many have expressed throughout this move, that so many corps get members from all over it isn't the same as it used to be where you did get a large amount of local members. Corps are really from the country now and not so much their respective state/city. 

I think Cadets are changing that a little bit with their partnerships they are making here in Erie. But it is still a larger trend that it isn't so much about where the corps is from. 

They couldn’t get in NJ what they got in Erie, and too many old wounds remain regardless of who’s in charge. A lot of burned bridges. 

growing up the corps I used to see in the region are gone. Cadets moved. Crossmen moved. So few local show options I could cry. But it is what it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1