Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then that could not have been just DCI championship week.  DCI has never had 100 competing corps at a DCI championship.  Biggest years were 1981 and 1982, both 98.

There were corps that didn't go to DCI too. Garden State corps, and other corps that didn't do DCI. I'm not sure who or what they were, but wanted to acknowledge them too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

She was the architect behind the Argonne Rebels’ powerhouse hornline of the early 70’s, including the legendary line of 1972. A lot of us “marched elsewhere prior to SCV” vets knew who she was and getting to meet and be cliniced by her was a highlight of my DC career. She basically brought the concept of “full symphonic sound” and TQ&I to DC; indeed, if you listen to Argonne’s ‘72 Finals recording the hornline easily sounds ten years ahead of its time. Tim S. was a disciple of her teachings.  

In 71 they already had a coed horn line, when most corps in the east were only males playing instruments (outside of all-girl corps, of course). I hung with a couple of horn gals when we were at shows with them. Their hornline was amazing. SO far ahead of its time. 

16 minutes ago, MikeD said:

In 71 they already had a coed horn line, when most corps in the east were only males playing instruments (outside of all-girl corps, of course). I hung with a couple of horn gals when we were at shows with them. Their hornline was amazing. SO far ahead of its time. 

People who say G bugles can’t play in tune never heard Argonne. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any updates on how SCV is planning to make up the short fall and future financing? Wondering if adding second bingo game is still being considered. And if SCV is planning to move away from bingo to other areas.

BINGO

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent Drum Corps Coffee Shop interview with Paul Rennick that details some of the happenings in his own words.  It also addresses how the Rennicks have worked with Troopers and how that could or could not change this year (hint, don't expect a huge change).

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Great timing to release a little more info. Thanks for sharing @mingusmonk.

I'm glad he addressed the loss of institutional knowledge due to high leadership turnover. It's been a problem since before he and the current leadership got there. Nice to hear someone else, still close to the org, say it out loud.

AB5 passed in 2019. Why was the expense of paying tour staff such a surprise in 2022? And how did other Cali corps manage to stay within budgetary restrictions better despite AB5? Probably refers back to loss of institutional knowledge...?

That surprise furlough situation sucks all around. But it's nice to hear Rennick's personal response to alum looking for a place to march. I'm in solidarity with those alum who are choosing not to march elsewhere; I couldn't bring myself to either when I left. (And still, kudos to those who found another home, too, though.)

And lol, he's not steeped in Texas long enough if he still chooses In-N-Out over Whataburger. 😁 Cowboy fandom gets you closer though. JK I have no horses in either of those races, just like teasing those who do.

Just a couple cents...

East coast guy googled:

AB5 is CA law spelling out difference between an independent contractor and an employee. Didn’t dig further as probably over my head (hey I studied IT and not legal 🥵).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

East coast guy googled:

AB5 is CA law spelling out difference between an independent contractor and an employee. Didn’t dig further as probably over my head (hey I studied IT and not legal 🥵).

Known on the east coast as "The Uber Bill."

All kidding aside, staff being considered employees instead of contractors is what killed VK.  They got in deep with the IRS and were gone in a heartbeat.