Who makes top 12?

I could probably write a book about my feelings on this topic, but I’ll keep it short. The bottom line, IMO is this, the member experience is everything. Winning in a competitive sense is incredibly difficult, and takes years for an organization to get to that point. And there are only a handful of groups that have the resources necessary to do it. However, every organization has the ability to give an amazing member experience, and to me that transcends anything competition can offer. Yes it’s great to “win”, but you can do that without having the highest score. I would much rather be part of an organization that teaches life skills, allows for personal growth, teaches the benefits of hard work and perseverance, and goes above and beyond in the field of health and safety for its members. If you focus on these things and give the performer a creative vehicle that connects with the audience, the numbers don’t matter. 

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Oh? Bwahahahaahah. I’ve been on the staff side of the activity for too many years. I have had many a long talk and consult with caption managers, designers, boards, and the exec dirs for both DCI and DCA groups. if you think this is an educational activity at the top 12 level I have a bridge to sell you. 

At this point I’m happy to design someone’s set, the rest i'm retired.  Mostly because of what the activity has become and how it mimics my daily career (live entertainment) and that it literally resembles life on broadway now, and partially because I’d just like to see my fam that I’ve neglected for it for so many years.  This activity isn’t what you think it is anymore. Hasn’t been for many years. 

you can believe whatever you want.  but as long as corps still put up "we need YOU to be this star role.."  its still about the design first, and the student second.  Otherwise they'd move up someone from the existing group and teach them. 

Enter…cough, ring chasers…cough.

6 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I could probably write a book about my feelings on this topic, but I’ll keep it short. The bottom line, IMO is this, the member experience is everything. Winning in a competitive sense is incredibly difficult, and takes years for an organization to get to that point. And there are only a handful of groups that have the resources necessary to do it. However, every organization has the ability to give an amazing member experience, and to me that transcends anything competition can offer. Yes it’s great to “win”, but you can do that without having the highest score. I would much rather be part of an organization that teaches life skills, allows for personal growth, teaches the benefits of hard work and perseverance, and goes above and beyond in the field of health and safety for its members. If you focus on these things and give the performer a creative vehicle that connects with the audience, the numbers don’t matter. 

Just my two cents.

Yes but…. Many times competition drives attendance. Seriously. Several times tension at the top draws bodies that normally stay home and watch on Flo. Look at how Colts and Troop fighting for finals drew more eyes to everything.

competition has its place. Too often it is too much of an over riding focus 

15 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Enter…cough, ring chasers…cough.

It’s not even ring chasers at this point. It’s driven by design staff saying “we need a performer who can do (skill set)”.    If you don’t get that skill set at auditions, you go find it. You move part of your show budget into your “prorated tuition” budget to make it happen. 

and it doesn’t matter if it’s a corps expected in the top 3, or the top 16.  It’s because the sheets are design driven, the activity is design driven, and it’s all about the product and the sold experience to potential members.   

you want the current seasons field performance to bring 200 more auditionees next season by having those “tiktok moments” that potential members gravitate to.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, craiga said:

I strenuously disagree with the notion of toxic competition, Scheherazadesghost. I absolutely have no reason to doubt you, but if half of what you have posted about SCV is true, they should have been shut down years ago.

My experience is limited to BAC admittedly, but I have never witnessed anything on the order of what you describe. I am around them alot....sometimes during spring training as the only non-staff person in the stadium. I can honestly attest that I have never heard screaming, swearing, belittling, lack of food or medical help, etc. And as most folks here know, I'm not some jonny-come-lately. I have been around them more than 40 years. Your reports about SCV are most likely accurate, but as Shakespeare once wrote, when it comes to other corps, "don't dress us in borrowed robes " .

I can attest to what Craig is saying, especially as someone who spent four years at the org and had many private conversations with staff my last year because of being DM. Even in these private conversations there was never any belittling, swearing or talking down on members. As well as in all my four years of marching the only time I can ever recall Gino talking about scores was a private conversation with me before San Antonio where he was worried about not knowing where we would place. 

At the end of the day I have felt nothing but respect from every single staff member at Boston, even in times where I screwed up royally and deserved the stick. 

Now the same cannot be said for my time in 18. There are stories from that staff that I have that make me glad that they aren't teaching anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, C.Holland said:

Oh? Bwahahahaahah. I’ve been on the staff side of the activity for too many years. I have had many a long talk and consult with caption managers, designers, boards, and the exec dirs for both DCI and DCA groups. if you think this is an educational activity at the top 12 level I have a bridge to sell you. 

At this point I’m happy to design someone’s set, the rest i'm retired.  Mostly because of what the activity has become and how it mimics my daily career (live entertainment) and that it literally resembles life on broadway now, and partially because I’d just like to see my fam that I’ve neglected for it for so many years.  This activity isn’t what you think it is anymore. Hasn’t been for many years. 

you can believe whatever you want.  but as long as corps still put up "we need YOU to be this star role.."  its still about the design first, and the student second.  Otherwise they'd move up someone from the existing group and teach them. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies