What does DCI mean to you?

2 hours ago, fighterkit said:

Drum corps for me was always an escape and way to push myself as far as I could.

The competition was a big part of it, but frankly it was a competition with myself. How good could I be, how much better could I get. 
It was something that I met a lot of great friends and a way to find another family with so many people. As well as something to give back to a lot of people. 

Drum Corps means the world to me, and seeing people fall in love with it and decide to march makes it worth it for me no matter what. 

The banner they had up in the tunnel is something that stuck with me a lot and something I tried to live my life to everyday. "Soar, Inspire, Excel"

I was very bummed when I got to my age out and they replaced it. 

But its a way to inspire others to be the best they can be

This is beautiful. 

• Like 1

First time I was exposed to DCI was as a freshman in high school.  Got me into music more than band classes ever did.  Started going to the library and checking out cassette tapes (yes I'm old) of anything and everything that I loved on the field, and that just kept opening me up to more and more new stuff across the music spectrum.  I didn't pursue music professionally, but it's a constant source of joy in my life and I owe it all to DCI in many ways.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lance said:

First time I was exposed to DCI was as a freshman in high school.  Got me into music more than band classes ever did.  Started going to the library and checking out cassette tapes (yes I'm old) of anything and everything that I loved on the field, and that just kept opening me up to more and more new stuff across the music spectrum.  I didn't pursue music professionally, but it's a constant source of joy in my life and I owe it all to DCI in many ways.  

This.

My older brother marched in the high school band when I was just learning to play in 6th grade.  My first shows were from a tv taping of the 1980 PBS broadcast.  I was hooked.  Later on I picked up on the original music the DCI shows were arranging from... jazz, swing, classical, all of it.  I have an enormously varied music library and I owe it all to DCI.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This.

My older brother marched in the high school band when I was just learning to play in 6th grade.  My first shows were from a tv taping of the 1980 PBS broadcast.  I was hooked.  Later on I picked up on the original music the DCI shows were arranging from... jazz, swing, classical, all of it.  I have an enormously varied music library and I owe it all to DCI.

Same here, and it also got me into Music Education for 3 years, then I discovered how little teaches make and decided computer science was the way to go....

• Like 2

I was (literally) born into drum corps.  My father marched with St. Vincent's in the 50s and I went to my first show as a toddler.  As my mother tells it, I was fascinated.  Shortly after we moved to the house I grew up in, my father found out about a local corps and I started my journey with their cadet corps and going to local (West Penn / O-Penn circuit) shows. We went to several US Open shows (including the deluge of '73) and our first Finals in '74 where I first saw SCV, Muchachos, Kingsmen, and a host of other "big corps".  '74 Finals still is one of my all-time favorite shows I've been to.

Started marching with our main corps in '75 until our last year in '80, then marched with 2-7 in '82.

What still draws me in and makes me a fan to this day is the sound, precision, and visuals - especially when it's drill-based or unison movement.

DCI (and drum corps) has exposed me to a vast amount of music I probably never would've ever heard of, instilled in me a solid work ethic and gave me the ability to sleep anywhere at any time when given the opportunity 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Dewd, if your reference involves cassette tapes, you’re still fairly young. Some of us go back to vinyl and….gasp!!!!!! 8 track tapes!

All is good because it documented our hard work and it gave you a source of joy and wonder. If it weren’t for Dr. Dan and Jim Wren I would have never developed the love I have for classical music. I remember a bunch of us rookies went to the movies to see the annual rerun of Fantasia at the behest of Jim many, many, many, many years ago. It. Was. Life. Changing.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

If it weren’t for Dr. Dan and Jim Wren I would have never developed the love I have for classical music.

Jim Wren & Marty Hurley both wrote a piece for one of my small corps in ummm...lemme think..'78.

Both of them paid us a visit at a rehearsal in Denver at DCI before prelims. This while PR was competing for a World Championship. Two of the finest and classiest drum corps people to ever walk the earth. We sucked, but we always had these two on our staff resume'. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gak27 said:

I was (literally) born into drum corps.  My father marched with St. Vincent's in the 50s and I went to my first show as a toddler.  As my mother tells it, I was fascinated.  Shortly after we moved to the house I grew up in, my father found out about a local corps and I started my journey with their cadet corps and going to local (West Penn / O-Penn circuit) shows. We went to several US Open shows (including the deluge of '73) and our first Finals in '74 where I first saw SCV, Muchachos, Kingsmen, and a host of other "big corps".  '74 Finals still is one of my all-time favorite shows I've been to.

Started marching with our main corps in '75 until our last year in '80, then marched with 2-7 in '82.

What still draws me in and makes me a fan to this day is the sound, precision, and visuals - especially when it's drill-based or unison movement.

DCI (and drum corps) has exposed me to a vast amount of music I probably never would've ever heard of, instilled in me a solid work ethic and gave me the ability to sleep anywhere at any time when given the opportunity 🙂

My husband was born into drum corps, too.  His Dad was drum major in senior corps in Ohio. His first drum corps experience was marching with his Dad.  

• Like 5