Controversial shows

2007 Cadets. Surprised there is  no mention of it yet in this thread.

In my 30 years or so since being introduced to DCI, this one stands out as the most controversial to me.

While the Cadets show that year was mentioned as somewhat of the focus of narration/ amplification, it wasn’t just this show that had us debating. I remember at the time the Old School vs. New School debate was reaching a heated peak over amplification.  And even if you were accepting of where amplification was at the time and where it was going, you could probably find yourself arguing over 05 BD and this shows narration being horrific, while at the same time praising 07 Bluecoats and Crowns’ use of it. Narration, amplification-  where we thought it might head, even where we thought it wasn’t/ shouldn’t be- it was the controversy of the time. 

I was in the crowd during the Cadets Finals performance. I was near Side 1, 35 yard line, roughly middle of the stadium from field to press box. You could hear fans screaming obscenely in their discontent from all sections of the stadium during the voice/ narration parts of the show. (It’s definitely heard in the Finals recording). But you also notice the increase in crowd response and cheering when the corps is playing. The polarization reached its apex at Finals. So much so, The Cadets included a joke in the show to note that they knew the fans were thinking. 

This year also included “ Hashgate”. I remember that specifically as it delayed our KAC performance time a bit at Semifinals. But the term lives on today. 

There is a recording of the show that I believe is labeled by fans as “ sans voice”. I listened to “Sans” the other day for the first time as I found it on YouTube. It confirmed what I thought of at the time as an incredible hornline with a great book. Hearing that corps in the “ sans” recording, perfectly brought to light Saktig’s demand in the drill of that show as well. A drill I consider as Saktig at the top of his game, especially the last 30 seconds.

This noted, there is a bit of a masterpiece in the way the The Cadets marched and played this show. Even if the voice and the story were terrible in hindsight, we can now say corps like the Mandarins, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Crown, and yes, The Cadets, have improved on dramatically from our “ humble beginnings”. I just wish more of the fans at the time could have had the foresight to see that eventually this would change the game, instead of simply giving up on the activity. 

• Thanks 3

On 3/4/2023 at 1:57 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I would go with 1984 Suncoast Sound’s Vietnam show. Many people were upset with that. Personally, I loved it. 

Ah yes, my rookie year at Suncoast. Reactions at each show were quite mixed, and seemed to progress  throughout each individual performance. People generally liked the drum solo (a mash up of parts of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd, and "YYZ" by Rush), most everyone loved "Aquarius", up until the jarring ending of it, then usually shocked silence as the fabric wall rose slowly from the ground. Reaction to "Requiem" varied, but no matter what was felt, it was felt strongly. Depending upon how an individual reacted to "Requiem", "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" was either that it was cool, or confusing, or induced differing degrees of irritation or anger. "America the Beautiful" was almost universally well-received. How did I know all this when I was on the field? You guys all know that you can read the crowd as the show progresses. In addition, many people would come up and make comments if they saw us walking around between our show and retreat.

I will mention that the show was emotionally draining for those of us performing it. In fact, towards the end of the season, we would never do a full run-through at the end of rehearsal on a show day. The staff learned that we could only perform the entire thing once per day, mentally speaking. So, end of rehearsal run-throughs would always leave something out, sometimes we would just skip a movement, or do a movement visual only, or "bop" one movement, or even just arc up and play part of the show, anything the staff could think of that would keep us from mentally "completing" a show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Indeed, the change was seen by many on here as being "too woke." I'd be shocked if the Crown staff was trying to make commentary on gun violence but more likely trying to tell a more interesting story with a different emotion.

Didn't Crown staff change the Relentless ending in response to the aftermath from the Pulse shooting?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Indeed, the change was seen by many on here as being "too woke." I'd be shocked if the Crown staff was trying to make commentary on gun violence but more likely trying to tell a more interesting story with a different emotion.

I would likely be considered very “woke” and i LOVED the original ending. Good triumphs over evil.  My guess is that their concern was violence/death more than guns. 

someone else mentioned they thought the Pulse nightclub massacre may have had something to do with the rewrite?

5 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

2007 Cadets. Surprised there is  no mention of it yet in this thread.

In my 30 years or so since being introduced to DCI, this one stands out as the most controversial to me.

While the Cadets show that year was mentioned as somewhat of the focus of narration/ amplification, it wasn’t just this show that had us debating. I remember at the time the Old School vs. New School debate was reaching a heated peak over amplification.  And even if you were accepting of where amplification was at the time and where it was going, you could probably find yourself arguing over 05 BD and this shows narration being horrific, while at the same time praising 07 Bluecoats and Crowns’ use of it. Narration, amplification-  where we thought it might head, even where we thought it wasn’t/ shouldn’t be- it was the controversy of the time. 

I was in the crowd during the Cadets Finals performance. I was near Side 1, 35 yard line, roughly middle of the stadium from field to press box. You could hear fans screaming obscenely in their discontent from all sections of the stadium during the voice/ narration parts of the show. (It’s definitely heard in the Finals recording). But you also notice the increase in crowd response and cheering when the corps is playing. The polarization reached its apex at Finals. So much so, The Cadets included a joke in the show to note that they knew the fans were thinking. 

This year also included “ Hashgate”. I remember that specifically as it delayed our KAC performance time a bit at Semifinals. But the term lives on today. 

There is a recording of the show that I believe is labeled by fans as “ sans voice”. I listened to “Sans” the other day for the first time as I found it on YouTube. It confirmed what I thought of at the time as an incredible hornline with a great book. Hearing that corps in the “ sans” recording, perfectly brought to light Saktig’s demand in the drill of that show as well. A drill I consider as Saktig at the top of his game, especially the last 30 seconds.

This noted, there is a bit of a masterpiece in the way the The Cadets marched and played this show. Even if the voice and the story were terrible in hindsight, we can now say corps like the Mandarins, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Crown, and yes, The Cadets, have improved on dramatically from our “ humble beginnings”. I just wish more of the fans at the time could have had the foresight to see that eventually this would change the game, instead of simply giving up on the activity. 

Just rewatched Cadets 2007. I saw this show live three times that year. I was a fan. A little too much talking but I liked the concept and the voices were "live" not recorded which I don't like. And parts of the show are just "Wow....wow"

18 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

One of my favorite BD shows❤️ Probably cause it's one of the few DCI shows on Spotify. House Is Not A Home has become so iconic for me lol

That completely sold me on that show. 

When the trumpets come in... you just know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

Hashmark?  We don't need no stink'in hashmarks.  

I was there but don't remember this.  Can you or someone refresh my memory?  

What I remember about Garfield is seeing their corps flip out and applaud when we played Firebird.  I didn't realize at the time it was because they played it too that year.  Thought it was for us 😬

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Hashmark?  We don't need no stink'in hashmarks.  

I was there but don't remember this.  Can you or someone refresh my memory?  

What I remember about Garfield is seeing their corps flip out and applaud when we played Firebird.  I didn't realize at the time it was because they played it too that year.  Thought it was for us 😬

GH pitched a temper tantrum because hash marks were somewhat degraded.  So there was a delay while they were touched up. 

I know up until mid-70s 50 yard line was sometimes the only yard line marked.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

GH pitched a temper tantrum because hash marks were somewhat degraded.  So there was a delay while they were touched up. 

I know up until mid-70s 50 yard line was sometimes the only yard line marked.  

Him?  Figures 🙄

And a big "YES" to only having a 50-yard line marked.  Harder than it might sound even with a symmetrical drill. 

• Like 1