Allentown uh-oh

Might be slightly off topic, but its definitely in line with where the discussion is headed.  Let me preface it with I get that it has been in Allentown for a long time and that it was also the home of the Cadets for a time (who have since moved to Erie, PA).    With that said, a couple thoughts?

1.  Why not Philly?  Not that much farther than Allentown so it wouldn't affect travel very much.  More high schools should help with housing as well.  

2.  With DCA and DCI partnering for events (ie DCA finals in Indy next year before DCI Finals), what about Rochester, NY?  Yes, I know it is farther and would affect travel plans more than a smaller move would.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Couple of things:

1. I presume the U o P reference is Franklin Field.

DCI has the Easts there when they were renovating Birney Crum.

Not a great place for a number of reasons including parking.

2.Lafayette seems like a viable alternative.

Again same general area.

3.William and Mary would be a much longer trip for people

who go to Allentown from North Jersey  and Eastern/North Eastern 

Pa.

They hosted competitions a couple years back in Chester, PA outside of Philly at the MLS stadium. The stadium is super nice, though Chester is not. But would be a decent option. They could also consider University of Delaware.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok here is an outside-the-box idea.  
Cary Field/Zable Stadium at College of William & Mary in Williamsburg VA.  Easy access to interstate (I-64).  Plenty of parking in the area.  All kinds of cool stuff to see Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA.   Many walkable food places (college town - cheap). Plenty of hotel rooms. 

And, as a bonus, I will host a DCP cookout in my backyard.  

Oooh! And add to that the rich history of fife & drum corps in that area. I could see some cool performance opportunities for those groups. 

• Like 2

Folks, this is my kind of discussion. Please indulge me for adding again. Philadelphia, right now, is loaded with drug infested areas, homelessness, and great amounts of trash, carjackings, muggings and shootings are frequent even in daylight hours.  This blight now surrounds the University Of Penn area. I no longer will go there.  Parking is very tight and expensive, mostly in decks. The entire city is overly unionized, generally corrupt. Expect to pay expensive hourly wages for required, often unneeded event services. Philadelphia now has difficulty attracting all kinds of conventions.

The stadium in Rochester only seats 5000 on the Concert Side. DCA crowds have gotten smaller there every year since the DCA Championship went there the first year it opened (2006). 

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Funny thing is that most southerners think Virginia is the northeast 

For most of Virginia, anything north of Richmond is DC...for DC, "I don't date over the river" is still a thing.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

They never have and never will, but they get over it and Boston, Newton, and Brookline ignore the neighbors’ cries. DCI would be in the summer and they’re in Osterville, Nantucket, Newport, or at their hideaway homes in Midcoast Maine so they’ll never know.

Didn’t work line that for band camps.  BC had to apply for permits for each and every game.  Each game, new permit.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Folks, this is my kind of discussion. Please indulge me for adding again. Philadelphia, right now, is loaded with drug infested areas, homelessness, and great amounts of trash, carjackings, muggings and shootings are frequent even in daylight hours.  This blight now surrounds the University Of Penn area. I no longer will go there.  Parking is very tight and expensive, mostly in decks. The entire city is overly unionized, generally corrupt. Expect to pay expensive hourly wages for required, often unneeded event services. Philadelphia now has difficulty attracting all kinds of conventions.

The stadium in Rochester only seats 5000 on the Concert Side. DCA crowds have gotten smaller there every year since the DCA Championship went there the first year it opened (2006). 

So, other than that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?

• Haha 4

On 7/29/2023 at 11:27 PM, wolfgang said:

I saw a Reddit thread that a number of seats at the stadium are damaged and will not be fixed by next weekend. Some people will be moved.

Is it time to find another venue for a big eastern show?

I don’t get it it was mentioned in this original post that Allentown  has some issues with some seats, and now everyone  is relocating Allentown everywhere   in the world, maybe someone will suggest the moon.  The stadium was refurbished and from my eyes it’s mostly in good shape.   so let’s just fix things that we need to  and continuing having a great show at the most historic stop on the tour 😊
individual corps  do fund drives all the time why can’t we have one for the Allentown stadium? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

To me, anything south of Fredericksburg, Virginia is the south. Coming from someone who has been in the DMV his entire life but went to school at a couple Virginia state schools 

I grew up in Virginia & went to college in Lexington. Thirty or forty years ago, every part of the Commonwealth was considered the South. (Unless you were born or lived inside the Beltway, like me.) The Fred was your typical sleepy Southern town. Now it's considered a suburb of either Richmond or NoVa, depending upon who you ask. Same situation with Winchester, too.

As for relocating DCI-Allentown, has anyone considered Gettysburg College? Or perhaps one of the larger D-3 or D-2 schools?