The Staff Merry-go-round

At least the Cadets pulled the plug in mid October, two months prior to the first auditions for anyone.  Didn't SCV wait until early December...after corps had started their auditions?

Sounds like the Cadets board and Executive Director didn't let the Cadets actual Corps Director in on it until the last possible moment...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

It’s quite possible with the options they were faced with, someone may have thought, “nah, we’ll be ok, let’s keep going”.  Then sensibility prevailed and another thought was presented “ahh, remember SCV last year? How did that delay go”?   Ripping the band aid off now is the better choice in the long run.  The blowback now is nothing like it could have been had they waited longer.  

Whether there's a story behind the story, after the GH saga, one would think every decision going forward would be tripled checked. Back under the microscope is not what they need. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Yeah it's way too easy to sit in our armchairs and nuke the Cadet's admin into the stone age because of an automated social media post. For all the grief they're taking, you'd think that CEA had deliberately fired a torpedo into its own hull and given potential members two middle fingers.

For goodness' sake, people, a little grace, please. All this red-faced foaming at the mouth about a recruitment post is all a bit high-and-mighty.

well.....no.

if they knew the night before, the social media team should have been notified it to cancel it. i'll tell you why.....if it caught kids eyes and then "oh oops, we aren't havong a season...." how's that make the organizaton look?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well.....no.

if they knew the night before, the social media team should have been notified it to cancel it. i'll tell you why.....if it caught kids eyes and then "oh oops, we aren't havong a season...." how's that make the organizaton look?

Social media (Facebook posts) are "in the cloud". Perhaps they use college-age volunteers who are busy with life. If they use "paid" "social media" people, I could make a guess that they are not being paid right now due to financial reasons. People at the top have resigned. Assuming that there is a team huddling together monitoring on a daily basis would be a presumptuous assumption. Things don't work in emergency situations. I cut them some slack for being a day or two behind of website announcements, additions, and deletions.

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well.....no.

When I saw the FB post about auditions and a few hours later the post about going inactive, I found it odd and chalked it up to a lack of communication. Then I wondered if the announcement about 2024 was made earlier than intended. I’m thinking they planned on holding off until after the reunion weekend rather than put a pall on the events, but announced it prior to the event to avoid the disaster that would have occurred if news leaked out at the reunion. There’s no way that news could have been contained. 

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well.....no.

How does it look? It looks bad. The question is: How bad? And so what?

I think most people who are generous in spirit would say: Eh, no big deal. You had a lot on your mind.

"Should have been notified." Sure. Yeah, of course. Conceded. Lots of things "should" happen when a monumental decision is made.

But look, regardless of how much foreknowledge everyone had, there comes the decision crunch time, and in the middle that hurricane of deliberation among leadership, some stuff is going to get set aside until Topic A is decided. In the scheme of things, pulling the plug on recruitment programming relatively quickly in the hours after making that agonizing decision does not strike me as a public-relations catastrophe. It seems natural to me that not only recruitment but a number of ordinary business operations would continue to grind on in the hours after making such a decision, and they will be wound down in due course. And the sun rises tomorrow.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

When I saw the FB post about auditions and a few hours later the post about going inactive, I found it odd and chalked it up to a lack of communication. Then I wondered if the announcement about 2024 was made earlier than intended. I’m thinking they planned on holding off until after the reunion weekend rather than put a pall on the events, but announced it prior to the event to avoid the disaster that would have occurred if news leaked out at the reunion. There’s no way that news could have been contained. 

Not for you specifically - just for casual readers, here's the link to the Cadets Board statement:

"The drum corps season is quite challenging with respect to the timing of member fees and the ability to anticipate actual expenses. The next season—2024, in this case—begins the minute DCI Finals scores are announced. Immediately, prospective members for the following year start purchasing audition packets under the assumption that the drum corps will be competing the following summer. Meanwhile, the reconciliation of last season’s expenses is not realized until the final bills arrive in September and October. It was only within the past week that the CAE Board reviewed the final results for the year and reached the painful conclusion that our income was insufficient to cover our expenses and that we had less cash on hand than our current debts and obligations. The moment that conclusion was reached, the board had an ethical responsibility to stop accepting money for the next season. The CAE Board made that decision Friday night, and we will now need to refund already collected fees for next year, in addition to addressing existing obligations."

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

There are moments when I wonder why I still log on to this website. Especially when I see people arguing over the timing of a social media post that was most likely automated, which is what 99% of social media managers do these days. 

For the love of God, y'all. Focus. 

Bet you could use a cool one... :spitting:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1