Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

I remember hearing something about an SCV member getting struck and killed by lightning back in the 80's, and that they always march a hole in remembrance.

If you want this story told right, you need Jim Fox to tell it. Since he's not a DCPer...

From what I understand, this was during the mid/late 80s when Glassmen was a small corps just hoping to make/stay in the Top 25. At the Port Clinton, Ohio show, which was essentially a home show for the Glassmen, the corps was set up in retreat next to the Troopers. Now, we all know how seriously Troopers take retreat. At the time, however, Glassmen DIDN'T take retreat seriously. I don't know if it was the hornline or the drumline, but one of the sections really did order pizza and have it delivered onto the retreat field. Bass drums, from what I understand, make great tables for serving pizza.

Now, the fun didn't really begin until somebody offered pizza to the Troopers... ^0^

I actually had a pizza delivered to the drumline at halftime for a band I taught in Ohio in 1981. I wonder.......

Edited by DAvery

This has been a fun read. I'll throw in a few memories.

'95 Southwind had a run-in with some gangsters. One of our contra players was wearing a red do-rag and apparently that was the rival color of the local gang in that territory. They made it clear he better not be seen wearing those colors again.

A certain northeast Corps ( way before the 90's) was in a parade in their City and the parade stopped, their Corps stopped, and some young neighborhood toughs started tossing eggs, one hit a marcher, the Corps immediately broke ranks went up the hill incline threw some punches, the bag of eggs was retrieved from one of the young toughs, the young toughs ran off, and the eggs hit a few of them in retreat.. the Corps quickly got back in ranks as the parade commenced.. marched up the street and the next song played was... yup.... " Conquest ". Is this story an " urban myth " ? Perhaps, but more than a handful of people tell me its true, so who knows.

• Like 1

I heard that the guy who stepped off early in BD's 2008 show got a tattoo that read "0.025"

(insert corps name here) - (corps) is so broke, they have stopped feeding their kids regular meals...

Capital Regiment 2006. I know because we ended up having to feed them a couple of times.

Also:

Cavies - drumline traditions include hoisting drums off the equipment truck after finals, and rookie drumline initiation includes making rookies ride the guard bus....

Not true, either of them.

I've heard rumors of corps either being shot at or robbed when down in Jackson for Finals in '93. Apparently some of the housing sites were in pretty tough areas.

A certain northeast Corps ( way before the 90's) was in a parade in their City and the parade stopped, their Corps stopped, and some young neighborhood toughs started tossing eggs, one hit a marcher, the Corps immediately broke ranks went up the hill incline threw some punches, the bag of eggs was retrieved from one of the young toughs, the young toughs ran off, and the eggs hit a few of them in retreat.. the Corps quickly got back in ranks as the parade commenced.. marched up the street and the next song played was... yup.... " Conquest ". Is this story an " urban myth " ? Perhaps, but more than a handful of people tell me its true, so who knows.

That had to take place at the Southie St. Patty's Parade. At last years Spring Fling, 7/8 mm came to me to get some stories about the rough stuff from decades back. I took them to a BOD member who I marched with, and asked him to tell the story of the 67 Am. Legion parade when he, while marching, stepped out of line, and floored a Cavie with one punch who was trashing the Saders. I originally heard, while in Germany with the USAF, he had used his horn.

I remember hearing something about an SCV member getting struck and killed by lightning back in the 80's, and that they always march a hole in remembrance.

I have not heard that one. IIRC there was an individual in the late 70's or early 80s that tripped and fell through a plate-glass window while on tour and almost bled out. Returned to the corps some weeks later I believe.

Rumors I've heard:

The Blue Devils have a height requirement for their hornline.

What? 3 Foot 6 inches? :silly: