Glassmen go inactive for 2013

This is sad news to me as Glassmen is one of my favorite drum corps. I like how they're run and I've always enjoyed their shows since 1993.

Dear Glassmen Members, Alumni, Volunteers, and Staff:

This is a very difficult message to deliver, but necessary nonetheless. The Glassmen Board of Directors has made the decision to go inactive for the 2013 season. The reason is not interest, dedication, or talent of our members, potential members, volunteers or staff. If a drum corps could run on dedication and talent we would be in a very strong position. Our problem is financial, and for financial reasons alone we are compelled to make this decision.

For many years Glassmen’s self-operated bingo was our major source of revenue. The sharp decline and ultimate discontinuation of the bingo operation combined with difficult economic conditions have made fielding a corps difficult for the past several years. You have all been aware of the extraordinary efforts of our staff and volunteers to cut costs and preserve a great experience for our members and fans. Our sponsors have also been unbelievably supportive. Yet despite these efforts, our reduced revenue and continued operating expenses have created a very large debt. Our creditors have been very generous and we will be counting on their continued support as we go forward. Were there no debt, we would be able to operate the corps this season. But the combination of retiring our debt and paying operating expenses is impossible.

As you likely know, our financial difficulties intensified during tour last summer and continued into the fall. The board and various volunteers have worked diligently to restructure, negotiate, establish relationships, and connect more strongly with current revenue sources. It was only after absolutely every possibility was pursued and exhausted that our way forward and the subsequent decision to go inactive became both evident and inevitable.

A large part of the Glassmen experience is the development of responsibility and character. It would be irresponsible and therefore contrary to our philosophy to continue to amass debt. Taking a year off will allow us to get our finances in order, create new relationships with sponsors while strengthening current ones, and create a viable and sustainable plan that will carry us into the future. We are not finished, we are just pausing to catch our breath. We are all---board of directors, volunteers, alumni, and various other parts of the Glassmen family---absolutely committed to do whatever it takes to come out of this stronger than ever.

Even with the uncertainty of our financial situation, veteran members, staff, volunteers, alumni, and prospective members came together for very productive audition camps in November and December. The energy and enthusiasm at these camps was evidence of the Glassmen fire that continues to burn, and will not be extinguished. As the business leaders of the organization, we are extremely grateful for your dedication to the corps and the legacy we have all inherited. This legacy of dedication, hard work, and family that has been created by 51 years of excellence demands we do all that is possible to continue it. We owe you---our alumni, volunteers, staff, and devoted veteran members---no less than to protect the integrity of the Glassmen name. You are the ones who built it.

Sincerely,

The Glassmen Board of Directors

Tom Sink, President

Brad Bell, Vice-president

Sandra Clark

Bill Verhelst

Larry Westphal

Maureen Moomey

Michael McGreevy

I seem to remember Boston Crusaders had severe problems as well and look at them now- they are totally on the rise and I see a medal, and soon, in their future.

While this news makes me sad, I think they did the right thing. The timing might not be perfect but it is not too late for most members to find a spot, who want one. It might not be the exact spot they want but this happens.

I hope to see them again in 2014!

I'm not involved with the activity that much anymore so I have a few questions.

Does anybody know what the annual cost is to run a corps these days?

What would the initial cost be to start a new corps?

Has there been any new corps in the last 10 years that are in the top 15?

Does the horn line use their own trumpets these days or does the corps still provide them?

Sorry for all of the questions but things have changed so much since I marched and I have no clue on what happens behind the scenes these days.

I hate to see any corps go inactive, it's a long road back and another set back for the activity.

When the Save the Glassmen drive started back in September, the corps reported that they needed $850,000 to get the corps in the field in 2013. They could account for $550,000, hence the $300,000 difference they hoped to make up through the support of corps family, friends, and fans.

First of all, thank you to those who have posted information about their corps' audition and rehearsal camps, contact information, and just the general welcoming opportunity for those who auditioned for the 2013 Glassmen to find a place to march this summer.

The Glassmen Alumni Association has put together a comprehensive list of the corps who have contacted us. I've added to that list from the information posted in this thread. We want to make sure that EVERY 2013 G-kid is on the field this summer, regardless of where they are. Age-outs are a priority as this is their last chance in DCI, but no kid is getting left behind when the buses pull out of their respective lots in June.

You can find the list on the GAA website (http://www.glassmenalumni.org/2013/01/january-audition-opportunities/). If you are a staff member or administrator of a corps, regardless of whether you're DCI, DCA, DCE, DCUK, BYBA, or whatever other drum corps organization that out there, and you want to be added to that list, email us at communications@glassmenalumni.org.

The G-Family is going to take care of its own.

• Like 2

I seem to remember Boston Crusaders had severe problems as well and look at them now- they are totally on the rise and I see a medal, and soon, in their future.

While this news makes me sad, I think they did the right thing. The timing might not be perfect but it is not too late for most members to find a spot, who want one. It might not be the exact spot they want but this happens.

I hope to see them again in 2014!

It is true that BAC had several financial disaster years (73&83 being foremost)but the corps always took the field and competed. I think Boston's history might have been different (and shorter) if they had taken a year off. Having said that, I have no info at all on the Glassmen situation, so I trust they are doing what is prudent for them. Hopefully, they can return in 2014.

Best wishes to the Glassmen for a successful return in 2014!

(I hope there are regular updates about how the reorganzation is going.)

So, are they going to have to return as a Division II corps? huh.gif

Troopers didn't. I'm sure the DCI BOD will review everything when the time comes