Glassmen go inactive for 2013

I think DCI needs to look at lots of different options and brainstorm different ideas. I'm not saying reinvent the wheel here, but for the success of the activity itself and corps no matter what their budget is, to succeed, educate, and entertain.

What are some of your ideas?

I really like your phrase "succeed, educate, entertain". DCI could do do well to adapt it as an overarching vision statement to sell the activity to the public. From a management standpoint - maybe start by looking at various pro sports leagues - MLB, NFL have some sort of revenue sharing. I know drum corps isn't the NFL (flame away), but the current model isn't working. There is some minimum number of corps - I don't know what number, but some number that have to exist/tour for the math to work. And at this rate we will find out (too late I fear) what that is.

I hope that the following line in the " Madison Scouts " reply to the "Glassmen" problem is included. What a GREAT thing to do!!!!!

" If you are a member of the Glassmen or were in their audition process, we will waive any audition fees in trying out for the Scouts. "

(For sure ALL DCI Corps should have this included.)

Also. I do hope that many DCA Corps send out a notice to get some of these kids back on the field. Heck maybe a lot of them may be in YOUR area too. They did come from All Over the USA. If they stay even just only 1 year. Look at the Talent you would have.

My heart aches for the Glassmen today! I'll take consolation in remembering the Glassmen as small hometown corps that grew into one of the model corps of the activity. I know there's people within the organization and an alumni group that will work very hard to ensure long-term sustainability as they promise.

• Like 1

.........I do hope that many DCA Corps send out a notice to get some of these kids back on the field. Heck maybe a lot of them may be in YOUR area too. They did come from All Over the USA. If they stay even just only 1 year. Look at the Talent you would have.

A post was placed (by myself, along with an additional post by another member of our organization) with directions to information on the corps' website on behalf of The Kilties.

As President of The Kilties (even though I used my personal account to post the initial reply to this thread), I can assure any prospective member(s) they will be warmly welcomed, as any other prospective member(s).

Although, our two January camps will be the determining camps to set the sections for the 2013 season.

I hope that the following line in the " Madison Scouts " reply to the "Glassmen" problem is included. What a GREAT thing to do!!!!!

" If you are a member of the Glassmen or were in their audition process, we will waive any audition fees in trying out for the Scouts. "

(For sure ALL DCI Corps should have this included.)

Also. I do hope that many DCA Corps send out a notice to get some of these kids back on the field. Heck maybe a lot of them may be in YOUR area too. They did come from All Over the USA. If they stay even just only 1 year. Look at the Talent you would have.

is it nice for the Glassmen kids? yes.

Should corps feel obligated? no.

Is it right that you let kids audition for free that didn't want to march your corps, when you charged the kids that did want to march your corps hundreds of dollars? maybe.

• Like 1

Terrible news, saw it on Facebook as well. Think positive though, they could be completely folding.

is it nice for the Glassmen kids? yes.

Should corps feel obligated? no.

Is it right that you let kids audition for free that didn't want to march your corps, when you charged the kids that did want to march your corps hundreds of dollars? maybe.

Sorry if I was not clear. I was (and I think the Scout's) were refering to the : "Audition FEE"("audition process") fee.

After that the same fee as anyone else would be ok.

AND !!

No one is "obligated". DCI or DCA. BUT !!!

NICE thing to do. A real Win - Win for ALL.

Lets face it. If /when, they go back to DCI. They will have YOUR memories and a possible RETURN to YOU. When they age out of DCI.

That alone should make MORE DCA Corps be jumping on this.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

When the Troopers announced that they would be inactive for 2006, I felt gut-punched. I was not alone. And when the Troopers emerged in 2007 fielding a large corps, it was the most wonderful feeling - and I was, again, not alone.

Glassmen, you are not alone. There were many Troopers who were welcomed into the ranks of other WC corps. Many of those Troopers returned in 2007 to be there for the revival of their "home" corps. I am certain that age-eligible Glassmen would be welcomed all over DCI, even knowing that they might go "home" in 2014. I encourage all to march. Be hopeful for the future of the Glassmen, and give back when you are able!

• Like 4

Wow. While this isn't shocking, it is really unfortunate. Being an OH native, I've known so many people who've marched Glassmen over the years and while they have never been a consistent favorite of mine, I've always rooted for the pseudo-hometown corps. I know I'm saying the same thing most others have/will, here's hoping Glassmen leadership can right the ship and get the corps back on the field sooner rather than later!!

I agree with you. I always root for the Ohio corps and I'm bummed. Hopefully they can right the ship for the future.