What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

You will still like marching band and DCI corps; ok. But here is the million $ question: Will you like marching corps and DCI band? :w00t:

Depends on the level of synth and cowbell.

As long as they know what to call themselves... :tounge2:

• Like 1

Depends on the level of synth and cowbell.

As long as they know what to call themselves... :tounge2:

Synth and Cowbell; is that sort of like Laurel and Hardy or more like Abbot and Costello? And I suppose that they can call themselves anything they want as long as they have stayed at a Holliday Inn Express.

• Like 1

For me it was first and foremost only about the joy of playing in the line striving to be better. One of the best if not THE best drum corps memories I have was an awesome run through after a grueling 3 day mid summer death camp and watching the staff freak the #### out. The reaction we got from a mere 15-20 people was more gratifying than any reaction from any crowd I ever performed for. I think what defines the activity is different for everyone to a degree.

I definitely agree with you on this point. I tend to find myself looking more at the staff's reaction to a lot of the performances than anyone else. In 2000, I think our hornline was more focused on making Gino Cipriani happy than anything else. Someone posted a video a few weeks ago on this site of the Cadets finals run thru from field level and the reaction from the staff shown on camera at the end of the show further illustrates my point. I wish I could find it.

The question is very simple. Which of the options primarily distinguishes our activity as unique?

No, the question is not simple. Your poll says "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.". The question you ask in this post is not the same at all.

"Drum and bugle corps" (or "drum corps") is, as the name suggests, defined by its instrumentation. However, at this point in time, "our activity" has been changed to the point where the uniqueness of the instrumentation has been so diluted that we have debates over whether what remains really is "drum corps"; therefore, what defines DCI is not necessarily what contributes most to its current uniqueness.

Edit: How you interpret "drum and bugle corps" is completely left up to you; please let us know how you determined which metric to interpret the question with!

I contend that drum and bugle corps is the moniker applied to a summer music experience wherein participants work in close, sustained proximity on a product designed to be executed with a high degree of excellence (by virtue of the time spent preparing and the talent of the performers) while gaining experiences, lessons, and relationships that transcend the bounds of the physical activity itself.

I guess you realize that a proper poll does not start with the pollster giving his desired answer to the question.

No, the question is not simple. Your poll says "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.". The question you ask in this post is not the same at all.

"Drum and bugle corps" (or "drum corps") is, as the name suggests, defined by its instrumentation. However, at this point in time, "our activity" has been changed to the point where the uniqueness of the instrumentation has been so diluted that we have debates over whether what remains really is "drum corps"; therefore, what defines DCI is not necessarily what contributes most to its current uniqueness.

I guess you realize that a proper poll does not start with the pollster giving his desired answer to the question.

Maybe " Drum and Bugle Corps is primarily defined by :....its unique inabilty to have a consensus agreement as to what it is ".

Maybe its just as simple as that.

Maybe one defining aspect of drum corps is its mutability, that is, its ability to change over time. Drums corps are independent units, not supported by schools or other such institutions. As a results, drum corps has to constantly change, adapt, evolve in order to survive.

So, maybe all the changes that you guys (well, and me too) are always fussing about are actually part of what makes drum corps drum corps.

The question is very simple. Which of the options primarily distinguishes our activity as unique?

You're right, it's a simple question, but a kind of complex answer. I think all three answers above are what defines drum corps, though instrumentation is the lease of the three (Ohio State Marching Band has very similar instrumentation but is obviously not a drum corps).

Yes it is. DCI doesn't sell tickets to the end zone seats or seats in the back stands (and not many people I can think of would pay for them if they did), so who the heck cares if those seats are empty? The concert side of the stadium is what was clearly implied, but I guess we now need to go through eleven or twelve pages of people arguing what the true meaning of "packed" is. Ridiculous.

Not ridiculous when you consider that drum corps has, at times, sold tickets to end zone and/or backside stands. If you really have "seen it all", you would know this.

• Like 2

That depends on what the meaning of "is" is. What we have come to as a society...sigh.

Edited by Mello Dude