Roughin' It at Rutgers

Boy you can sure tell a lot of the folks posting in this thread weren't at the show. Crazy comments.

For those of you who are doubting George... Watch for yourself...People are losing their s*h*it... Coats GE score should NOT have been 5th...

Edited by superOOk

well, that is exactly what they did last night. I was a little dubious of the Devil's opener from just what I have seen on-line, but sitting there in person last night, they killed it. It's been quite a few years not since I fell out of being a fan of what BD have been putting on the field, and though I still am just not into their style of drumcorps that they seem to have niched into over the past 5 or so seasons, they really are great this year. They just play the hell out of that show. The show as a whole is bit too distracting for me, but at the end of the day, regardless which panel of judges is marking the sheets, whether it adds to an eye-opening 2 point spread over the rest of the field, there is GE intangibility all over the show. Not saying there is a formula that equates to guaranteed success at the top level of the activity but the BD design staff have certainly dialed into what rubs the judges the right way. Certainly doesn't hurt to have the shows performed with such high degrees of execution.

And for those who were fortunate enough to figure out the traffic tragedy, I don't care, that should not have been anywhere near that bad. If you know there are two major events taking place simultaneously, plan accordingly. Or at least alert DCI to that fact so that they can alert their patrons to give adequate extra time to get in their seats before step-off.

It was awful. I live twenty minutes from the stadium and should not have missed Crown and nearly half of SCV because there was a mismanagement in scheduling and parking. It's kind of inexcusable, really. None of the parking attendants had a clue as to what was really going on, other than taking your money for inconvenient parking circumstances. Good luck with that scenario when Michigan and Penn State come to town...

I was in Quincy last night and saw a great show, but this how sounds like it must have been great as well. I find some of the Blue Devils comments interesting, because I have to admit, I am one who is not usually a Blue evils fan, but I love this year's show. It's not my favorite, but I think it has been worthy of winning. It's not their most innovative and some of what they are doing they have done before, and I wouldn't say it's their most challenging musical book, but it is well done and connects with the audience. The last time I remember enjoying a Blue Devils show so much is 1994's "My Spanish Heart."

Cadets is probably this year's "steady eddy" show. This is a clean and well constructed show, and I think it's the one of the finest arrangements of Copland that has been done by drum corps, ever. The problem Cadets face is what may be one of Blue Devils best shows ever ahead of it and close behind, three shows that may at the end of the season be the most memorable shows of all time. Bluecoats and "Tilt" will not soon be forgotten by those who have seen it live, Crown's show is just a joy to watch and it may not be as powerful as 2012 or imaginative as 2013, it's still a phenomenal show, and the beauty and luxury of SCV will not soon be forgotten. These are challenges for Cadets. I do not think they have peaked as some have suggested, and they have pulled surprises at finals, both positively and negatively, but I think this year is different and I expect to see BD at first, Cadets in second, with the battle being for third between Bluecoats, Crown, and SCV. Cavies also edged closer than I expected they would so it could even be a battle for third through sixth.

One thing is for certain: beginning the Sunday after finals, maybe even late finals night, we'll begin analyzing this season that has been like no other and we'll never run out of material or opinions and will only be scratching the surface.

Interesting scores, I actually prefer the variance, seems more honest, more like the old days. Didn’t see the show so can’t say if they are accurate. Think I need to break my rule and download Bluecoats during the season – I want to get their show and what I read about it, should right up my alley but when I saw it live, didn’t stick. Perhaps knowing their music better will help when I see them next week

By that same logic, I think The Cadets would score 95.65, still 2nd :silly: Your math includes the WV show where Coats had no competition.

In any case, this is clearly BD's year, undefeated and could win all captions if the performance and judges are just right. Everyone else is just looking on.

I my eyes and ears....that's been the case in every show since Akron....just need to get a few more judges to see it my way :tounge2:

This. I have found that this year, unlike any I can remember (and I have been around the activity for 3 decades), is one where even the most ardent BD "haters" are at worst grudgingly admitting that BD is off the hook good and at best are going as gaga as the loudest BD honk out there. Too bad Plan9 seems to have left, his head would probably explode if he saw some of the folks gushing about Devils this year.

The over-use of the word "haters" to describe those that don't care for a particular Blue Devils show is troubling. I loved BD 2012, didn't care for them in 2013, and I am entertained by this years program. I have no idea where there their high visual scores are coming from but the concept and execution is flawless. Does that quality me as a "hater"?

Edited by bluesman

The over-use of the word "haters" to describe those that don't care for a particular Blue Devils show is troubling. I loved BD 2012, hated 2013 and am entertained by this years program. I have no idea where there their high visual scores are coming from but the concept and execution is flawless. Does that quality me as a "hater"?

I dislike the word as well, which is why I put it in quotes. Just wanted to pick a word that conveyed "someone who generally does not like the product that the Blue Devils have been putting on the field lately", but that's a lot to type. And now you went and made me do it. Grrrrr

• Like 1

For those of you who are doubting George... Watch for yourself...People are losing their s*h*it... Coats GE score should NOT have been 5th...

GE may take into account fan response, but it isn't supposed to be primarily about that. I like coats a lot this year, but honestly, the visual program, like Crown's, has a lot of cool things in it, but also a fair amount of running to sets (in Hymn...) or just perching on platforms, neither of which may have struck the visual GE judge as all that interesting.

At a certain point, perhaps corps whose design is more rigorous regarding transitions should be rewarded more than others who choose to drop form and run to the next dot.

Edited by Slingerland