Roughin' It at Rutgers

Kinda like BD right? Oh wait...

Absolutely. But the difference is that when they are marching (as they do much more this year than years past), BD is moving better than Bluecoats, and the visual contributions of the guards in the two corps are not really in the same boxes. Both of those factors seem to be at play.

Edited by Slingerland

Because that's how the Blue Devils are.

Must win at all costs. It seems to go above everything else the activity has to offer.

Win win win win win.

This post shows how ignorant (and I don't mean that as an insult, look up the word) many people are about the Blue Devils philosophy of excellence through competition. It's not "win at all costs". What it is, however, is a philosophy that the organization, from administrators, to staff, to members, will do everything they can to put the corps in the best competitive position. They win some, they lose some. At no point is losing a "failure". Ask any kid who marched in years where the corps didn't win (I'm one of them) if they consider their final placement to be a failure.

The administration puts the corps in the best possible fiscal and organizational situation, the design team creates the best possible product, the teaching staff puts the best possible educational and pedagogical effort in, and the members do whatever they have to do to learn, understand, perform, and sell the show. Any one of those things not being at 100%? Then you can argue failure. I've never seen it.

The corps is also taught to be gracious losers....look no further than the aftermath of last year's award ceremony. The first folks rushing to congratulate Crown were wearing blue.

• Like 4

Because that's how the Blue Devils are.

Must win at all costs. It seems to go above everything else the activity has to offer.

Win win win win win.

C'mon, it's easy to think that when you're disappointed that they win all the time, but that's not true.

• Like 1

Boy you can sure tell a lot of the folks posting in this thread weren't at the show. Crazy comments.

George you'be been quiet since the show. What were your overall impressions, trends, etc...

George you'be been quiet since the show. What were your overall impressions, trends, etc...

Careful, or you'll be on his ignore list, too.

• Like 1

C'mon, it's easy to think that when you're disappointed that they win all the time, but that's not true.

BD staff designs a show they think will do the best competitively, as do all the other corps. What an immature comment from that dude.

Coats can still pass The Cadets (we keep waiting on that, right? all season, right?), but right now...show me this "The Cadets peaked already" thing...

Sure thing...

Score increase from San Antonio to Atlanta

3.950 Carolina Crown

3.450 Blue Devils

3.100 Blucoats

2.900 Phantom Regiment

2.825 Santa Clara Vanguard

2.725 Cavaliers

2.725 THE CADETS

Score increase from Atlanta to Piscataway

2.375 Phantom Regiment

2.350 Cavaliers

1.800 Blue Devils

1.275 Santa Clara Vanguard

0.900 Bluecoats

0.900 THE CADETS

-0.050 Carolina Crown

Cumulative score increase from San Antonio to Piscataway

5.275 Phantom Regiment

5.250 Blue Devils

5.075 Cavaliers

4.100 Santa Clara Vanguard

4.000 Bluecoats

3.900 Carolina Crown

3.625 THE CADETS

Of course you're free to reach your own conclusions. But that looks like peaking early to me.

• Like 1

This post shows how ignorant (and I don't mean that as an insult, look up the word) many people are about the Blue Devils philosophy of excellence through competition. It's not "win at all costs". What it is, however, is a philosophy that the organization, from administrators, to staff, to members, will do everything they can to put the corps in the best competitive position. They win some, they lose some. At no point is losing a "failure". Ask any kid who marched in years where the corps didn't win (I'm one of them) if they consider their final placement to be a failure.

The administration puts the corps in the best possible fiscal and organizational situation, the design team creates the best possible product, the teaching staff puts the best possible educational and pedagogical effort in, and the members do whatever they have to do to learn, understand, perform, and sell the show. Any one of those things not being at 100%? Then you can argue failure. I've never seen it.

The corps is also taught to be gracious losers....look no further than the aftermath of last year's award ceremony. The first folks rushing to congratulate Crown were wearing blue.

I am glad to see the turn around with BD philosophy. I remember not too long ago that it was not what it is now. It always seemed to be all about winning. I was a very big fan of BD since the early 90"s but their behavior during retreat in 2008 left a large segment of the drum corps community and myself with a very negative response to them. Seeing how much the philosophy has changed leaves me with the impression that they finally are on the same page with the rest of drum corps.

I am glad to see the turn around with BD philosophy. I remember not too long ago that it was not what it is now. It always seemed to be all about winning. I was a very big fan of BD since the early 90"s but their behavior during retreat in 2008 left a large segment of the drum corps community and myself with a very negative response to them. Seeing how much the philosophy has changed leaves me with the impression that they finally are on the same page with the rest of drum corps.

Well, it's always been that way. Occasionally someone will refer to something that someone's brother's girlfriend's uncle told them took place at some retreat, but no one is ever really able to produce evidence (I was there in 2008 too, close to the corps). Kinda like the "BD always screws up the mass-brass" thing (even when direct evidence pointed to other corps).

Oh, it's ok to be emotional when you don't win, just like it is when you do.

"In the best competitive position" - isn't that pretty much admitting that the goal is to win? After all, the "best competitive position" is 1st place, is it not?

Yes, I remember the BD marchers coming over to congratulate Crown. That was very classy, and I do believe the BD are a classy organization, for the most part. It was Crown's first title, and they deserved it with an absolutely incredibly show, and they had been competitive with BD all season. Just about everyone congratulated Crown on their win.

But I don't remember seeing that happen at 2008.

"The corps is also taught to be gracious loses" - because you expect to win, and in order to soften the sting of (potentially) losing, you have to have that "gracious loser" mindset.

Just about every other single corps out there does NOT have a chance to win, so being a "gracious loser" is not something in the back of their minds. But for the BD, yes, it's there, because they expect to win.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1