2015 Predictions

Well, their design changes may have fizzled out at the end last season, but the quality of playing/marching was beast at the end....no fizzle.

Fizzle was harsh but I think early peaking caused them to make changes that were not stellar. Yes they marched n played like beasts

I will take my first shot at this:

Blue Devils

Cadets

Crown

Bluecoats

SCV

Cavies

Phantom

BAC

Madison

BK

BS

Troopers.

The spaces represent the size of gap I believe will exist in scores.

I think 2-3 corps will be tight at the top. Not seeing a corps completely dominating like in 2014. Cadets seem like a monster corps, Crown should be stellar with an improved percussion, Coats are coming off a glorious 2014 season and then there's SCV with a top percussion line.

Same reason my wife says she married me.

Literally -- LOL!!!

I think it's certainly very possible if not likely that most dci marchers are going to be jamming to Miley Cyrus or at least party rocking to LMFAO.

Didn't DCI actually use a Miley Cyrus tune a few years ago during the Finals retreat, as the music played through the loudspeakers as the corps came out, to the umbrage of quite a few drum corps fans?

I think it was her "Party in the U.S.A."--and I want to say it was either the 2009 or 2010 Finals.

I thought it would be interesting to see how DCP members' predictions shifted over time. If a person made more than one prediction since this thread began, only the most recent as of the cut-off date was used. The number shown is the average placement predicted.

Aug. 9-Aug. 31:

1.6 Blue Devils

2.9 Cadets

3.2 Bluecoats

4.0 Santa Clara Vanguard

4.4 Carolina Crown

5.4 Cavaliers

7.5 Phantom Regiment

7.8 Blue Knights

9.1 Blue Stars

9.8 Boston Crusaders

10.6 Madison Scouts

12.4 Crossmen

After a flurry of August predictions, there were just a handful each month through December, so the next two sets are bi-monthly.

Aug. 9-Oct. 31:

1.6 Blue Devils

3.0 Cadets

3.2 Bluecoats

3.9 Santa Clara Vanguard

4.3 Carolina Crown

5.5 Cavaliers

7.9 Blue Knights

7.9 Phantom Regiment

9.3 Blue Stars

9.6 Boston Crusaders

10.5 Madison Scouts

12.4 Crossmen

Aug. 9-Dec. 31:

1.6 Blue Devils

3.2 Bluecoats

3.2 Cadets

3.9 Santa Clara Vanguard

4.2 Carolina Crown

5.6 Cavalier

7.8 Phantom Regiment

7.9 Blue Knights

9.3 Blue Stars

9.6 Boston Crusaders

10.4 Madison Scouts

12.3 Crossmen

There were no predictions in January.

Aug. 9-Feb. 28:

1.8 Blue Devils

3.0 Cadets

3.3 Bluecoats

4.1 Carolina Crown

4.1 Santa Clara Vanguard

5.4 Cavaliers

7.8 Blue Knights

7.8 Phantom Regiment

9.5 Blue Stars

9.5 Boston Crusaders

10.5 Madison Scouts

12.1 Crossmen

There were only two predictions made in March.

Aug. 9-Apr. 30:

1.8 Blue Devils

2.8 Cadets

3.8 Bluecoats

3.8 Carolina Crown

4.1 Santa Clara Vanguard

5.3 Cavaliers

7.8 Phantom Regiment

8.0 Blue Knights

9.4 Boston Crusaders

9.5 Blue Stars

10.3 Madison Scouts

12.2 Crossmen

Aug. 9-May 31:

1.8 Blue Devils

2.7 Cadets

3.7 Carolina Crown

3.8 Bluecoats

4.2 Santa Clara Vanguard

5.4 Cavaliers

7.7 Phantom Regiment

8.0 Blue Knights

9.4 Boston Crusaders

9.7 Blue Stars

10.4 Madison Scouts

12.1 Crossmen

That's right: so far, DCP members, on average, are predicting the same corps in the top twelve as last year.

I'll update this again just before the season starts.

Edited to correct tenths in each 11th and 12th position.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I am having a problem comprehending a lot of the design choices they've made so far. They may march and play the living crap out of the show, but the show itself can only take them so far. Just like last year's Crown.

Not sure what this show is trying to say.

Power of 10?

Power of Shostakovich's 10th?

Power of the number 10 in general?

Power of 10 as in orders of magnitude?

I think they have an idea of what they want to say, but they're investing too much into the Shostakovich 10th part of the deal.

10 being an extra-ordinary number, bridging the world together, being the base of the universal language we call mathematics.

One of those "The World is One Happy Collective" shows that Hopkins likes, but this time they just completely missed the mark when building their show around this idea.

Now it's just another Phantom 2002 show with better drill and arrangements.

"Whoops, we now have 7 minutes of Shostakovich and a ballad that uses only 20 yards of space on the field. Let's just make the corps play faster and hopefully the judges will just judge our show based on that."

The demand is there in this show to win, but I really think the design flaws will hold it back significantly. Unfortunate, because Sactig is an incredible drill designer and I don't think he had a whole lot of clarity on the idea to work with.

All of this is just speculation, of course.

That's what predictions are, speculation.

I'm still thinking about moving them to 4th.

You can just make a new prediction without making such a big deal about it :cool:

My thoughts on what you said -- I see what you mean. But I think you're looking for WAY too much meaning in this show. The title gives them some design points to work around, some inspiration for the visual design mostly (somewhat for the music design). Beyond that, it's all about stoking an audience response from the corps's attitude, intensity, performance level, and just really great music/marching/spinning. And if you can get people to sometimes notice some pretty cool/interesting stuff going on in relation to 10, then that's a big bonus and something they want to do.

Think:

Cavaliers 2001 Four Corners

Cavaliers 2002 Frameworks

Cavaliers 2003 Spin Cycle

BD 2003 Phenomenon of Cool

BD 2004 Summertrain Blues Mix

to name a few.

You can just make a new prediction without making such a big deal about it :cool:

My thoughts on what you said -- I see what you mean. But I think you're looking for WAY too much meaning in this show. The title gives them some design points to work around, some inspiration for the visual design mostly (somewhat for the music design). Beyond that, it's all about stoking an audience response from the corps's attitude, intensity, performance level, and just really great music/marching/spinning. And if you can get people to sometimes notice some pretty cool/interesting stuff going on in relation to 10, then that's a big bonus and something they want to do.

Think:

Cavaliers 2001 Four Corners

Cavaliers 2002 Frameworks

Cavaliers 2003 Spin Cycle

BD 2003 Phenomenon of Cool

BD 2004 Summertrain Blues Mix

to name a few.

Yes, you really need a show with emotion to win. Dada just gave me goosebumps and made me cry.