Staff merrigoround

Yes... Jeff is of late. He appears an angry dude, multiple profanities of his axed out above too on this very thread. People need to chill out. Nobody has a lock on" the truth "for heavens sake.

... Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... " Staff Merrigoround " :.... Whats new ? Who is new ?

I'm absolutely thrilled Aungst is with Crown and my friend Jude is with Phantom. I think both will be positive additions

Mike:

Often some left behind do harbor a resentment to those who have been able to stay current, active,and relevant in the activity, BUT it happens in many walks of life. NOT ALL but many of the staff today who were those from BITD also have longevity for a reason , a very good reason. Can anyone really think George Z. wouldn't be as relevant today as he was bitd if HE CHOSE. Silly, I personally think he would be even better today.

No one really addresses that although there are some really new talent coming through the activity , today's instructor is a very different person from the staff member of BITD. Staff learn very different and the activity has become very much a specialized unit of people. BITD you were lucky you had an assistant to help so you had to learn all aspects. Very different.

OMG, I wish I knew you in person. I really enjoy your posts and I've got a good feeling about you. Now, I don't always agree with you, but I KNOW you're a wonderful soul. I so respect your ideas.

I agree, George Z (and forgive me this Steve B) would have been GREAT in this day and age. Oh how I would have loved to see what they could do today.

We do need some more people to step up, but I'm afraid that the market can not bear the full devotion of the proper talent. Ugh, sorry. Just lamenting all the potential not being realized in the marching arts activity.

We really need to give people the chance to design new shows. Now, IF it doesn't work, then we need to be critical of that too, so it's not all clouds and lollipops, but we've gotta try and move forward while being critical of the results...

You need a bile check.

I think you need to look up the definition of troll and see how you project that image to a T.

You complain that you take nothing I say as relevant but have the time and effort to always make snide comments while never adding anything of substance. It's probably because you can't. I've actually been behind the scenes and seen the crap that goes on and have heard it directly from those it happened to. Refuting my claims with "no, that's not it" or some non sequitur is all you can come up with? Take a seat.

If you think all is hunky dory in Regiment land, then fine.

But if you know things aren't (which the massive rolling staff roster, lack of vet retention, lower quality product and placement indicate) and you have the history you have with the corps and you're the one not doing anything about it...then that's pretty pathetic.

Take a whole row of ####### seats.

I think you need to look up the definition of troll and see how you project that image to a T.

You complain that you take nothing I say as relevant but have the time and effort to always make snide comments while never adding anything of substance. It's probably because you can't. I've actually been behind the scenes and seen the crap that goes on and have heard it directly from those it happened to. Refuting my claims with "no, that's not it" or some non sequitur is all you can come up with? Take a seat.

But if you know things aren't (which the massive rolling staff roster, lack of vet retention, lower quality product and placement indicate) and you have the history you have with the corps and you're the one not doing anything about it...then that's pretty pathetic.

Wow. Calm down. You don't need to launch a personal attack.

You still have yet to answer my requests, both public and private over the years, to actually state who you are. With the way you post, and the knowledge you claim to have (which has been refuted on multiple occasions), you come off as a troll so long as you stay anonymous. Please look at it from the position of those reading your posts. All we see is "Everything is awful. I know. Trust me." Without any way to verify who you are, you're as much a troll as you accuse Sutasaurus of being, if not more.

OMG, I wish I knew you in person. I really enjoy your posts and I've got a good feeling about you. Now, I don't always agree with you, but I KNOW you're a wonderful soul. I so respect your ideas.

I agree, George Z (and forgive me this Steve B) would have been GREAT in this day and age. Oh how I would have loved to see what they could do today.

We do need some more people to step up, but I'm afraid that the market can not bear the full devotion of the proper talent. Ugh, sorry. Just lamenting all the potential not being realized in the marching arts activity.

We really need to give people the chance to design new shows. Now, IF it doesn't work, then we need to be critical of that too, so it's not all clouds and lollipops, but we've gotta try and move forward while being critical of the results...

haha..thanks..I think...lol

As far as new coming up. For the reasons I stated , except for a few it can be very hard. Alot does have to do with specialized staff people compared to BITD. You can bet , if they had to, the caption heads who were forced to do it all bitd are the ones to pull a staff together with a big picture vision.

Another reason is dedication can be very different today. This is not to say that there hasn't been or could be some great new talents coming up and need to find a way to shine. It is possible, they just need to want it , be patient, dont think at 22 you know it all and because you may have marched in a big finalists that this should allow you to teach one or that you even could. This is something we did BITD, we used to call it paying our dues, which can take quite a while. We also live in a quick, i want it now society,which IMO has added to this all. People also assume that there are thousands , like in judging also, banging the doors down to get in. SO not true.

I know many staff that have mentored some very good potential talent. Many have done well, many have faded away or thought they deserved more. I do think this is very common to alot of fields but we also have to realize , what is there out there in opportunities as far as drum corps. It's not like there are thousands of corps out there for thousands of jobs, another reason why over the years the Band programs and influx of drum corps people exploded onto the scene.

ALL just my opinion based on either my own experience or observance .

PS: agree about Steve B. , greats just dont fade away, most know how to continually stay relevant, current and many leave when they chose to go. These people really teach and have produced others who can and for me growing up in the activity I feel very lucky to have had such mentors no matter how long they might have been around. I was lucky, and imo young students today are still very lucky to learn from such staff. I have seen 1st hand a student gravitate to the most unlikely of staff person which one would think they would have nothing in common with merely because of what that staff person offered. Amazing to watch.

Staff moving around alot is one thing also as the thread shows , sometimes it does benefit a corps but a corps with a staff of successful longevity is a whole different thing

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1