Shuffle Off To Buffalo (TOC 8/2)

Were you at the show? Because if not I am very willing to dismiss your opinion on the night as well.

I was at the show, and was not surprised to see BD win, even by 0.55. They were more refined and well-rested than the next three corps below them. Edited by Cadevilina Crown

It's a little sad that when the spreads were tight across all 4 top corps, no one complained when corps flipped around in captions. But once one corps starts pulling away at ONE show, all hell breaks loose and people resort to accusing the judges of bias.

These performances vary from night to night, there won't be steady rises. This whole season, the GE caption has been traded around EVERYWHERE (seriously, check it out. Some nights Bloo wins, others Cadets win, others, Crown wins, others BD wins). GE is highly subjective and so of course it's going to vary.

Performances will also vary. Cadets won drums last night (despite performing on a separate night as BD) and now they trade positions where BD moves up by .2. That's a pretty goddam minuscule spread to be complaining about. I think worst of all, no one in here even SAW the performances tonight (apart from a select few). Everyone sees a couple names on the judges lists, sees the scores, and yells and hollers when things don't look exactly the same as before. Sorry that DCI killed your suspenseful season for one night.

This judging bias bullsht is ridiculous. Atleast watch the goddam shows live before you throw accusations at REAL PEOPLE like that.

Honestly I don't know why anyone is surprised. The corps that cleans the most or looks and sounds better almost always pulls away from the rest of the pack by this point of the season. I don't believe tonight was a fluke. I believe that BD most likely cleaned their behinds off. And I am basing that on absolutely nothing but past experiences.

• Like 6

The Cadets guard score seems crazy, that's for sure.

From what I've seen, they are just not up to par with the other guards.

They aren't -- but not because of the members, who are clearly extremely talented: they'd have to be, to be doing this well with what I think (after watching close-ups of guards all afternoon) is probably the toughest book out there. Their Content score tonight is a crime for a program with that much attitude, so much meat on its bones, and such diversity of difficult responsibilities. But the Achievement score...Ya I can see that. And the former suffers because of the latter, inevitably.

It just seems like the staff beefed up the guard book with lots of meaty technique but overlooked beefing up the training, too. Technique really isn't what you want to be teaching a week before finals, especially when you're up against technique powerhouses like BD Crown SCV (sometimes) &, more and more these days, Bloo.

Sounds like Bloo was missing all 4 speakers in backfield tonight, for entire show. Scores look great now... :)

Edited by superOOk

They aren't -- but not because of the members, who are clearly extremely talented: they'd have to be, to be doing this well with what I think (after watching close-ups of guards all afternoon) is probably the toughest book out there. Their Content score tonight is a crime for a program with that much attitude, so much meat on its bones, and such diversity of difficult responsibilities. But the Achievement score...Ya I can see that. And the former suffers because of the latter, inevitably.

It just seems like the staff beefed up the guard book with lots of meaty technique but overlooked beefing up the training, too. Technique really isn't what you want to be teaching a week before finals, especially when you're up against technique powerhouses like BD Crown SCV (sometimes) &, more and more these days, Bloo.

I probably missed something but what happened to their guard from last year to this year? Didn't they come in second last year?

Sounds like Bloo was missing all 4 speakers in backfield tonight, for entire show. Scores look great now... :)

With the spread that small, and given the electronics issues tonight, Cadets have to be really looking in the mirror....I wonder if maybe Bluecoats might have passed Cadets without the issues....it's interesting to think about at least.

• Like 1

<snip>>>

I would love having the feeling that any of the top 4 could have that "one moment in time" when things sync together and the performance rises above the others, to win.

What I see in that last sentence is that it will take a "perfect" performance by Crown, Cadets, OR Bloo to beat the Blue Devils. (A great performance by all three still would favor the Blue Devils, as the three will fight to beat the other two in every caption and the Blue Devils in at least 2.)

I think the only corps that can pull that off might be Crown, if their percussion doesn't hold them back...... and tonight they did not help and slightly hurt.

Sure, but Bluecoats must make this element as consistent as the rest of their program. It won't do them any good at Finals to say, "Well, some of our speakers weren't working, so our (decreased) score tonight looks pretty good!"

No one is saying BD didn't deserve the win tonight. People are saying some of these numbers are spreads written down for top corps are absolute horse ####. These corps are having amazing performances and to have some numbers this low is crying foul play.

I can understand why BD won. I can't understand how they won by that much.

I can. BD has no weaknesses, just excellence everywhere you look and in everything you hear. The other 3 behind them have glaring weaknesses.

• Cadets - Guard
  • Crown - Percussion
  • Bluecoats - Good but not great in any category
Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I probably missed something but what happened to their guard from last year to this year? Didn't they come in second last year?

I remember reading a PR that the caption head left (or was given a nudge) as he was going back to school and couldn't tour the whole summer. Also, longtime designer Greg Lagola is spending his time with Bluecoats now, partially explaining the jump in the quality of that guard.

Not sure who is doing the writing, but I think a lot of their issues stem from it. Really hard to clean equipment work and awkward movement book. As the other guards approach a super clean stage, the contrast may be becoming more apparent.

• Like 1