OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Well what do ya know! Both of my predictions came true.

Congrats to everyone this season! Enjoyed it more than any in recent memory!!!

Over the past decade, 2006-2015, the Reading Buccaneers have won even more DCA championships (8) than the Blue Devils have won DCI championships (6), with the 2015 championships yet to come in DCA.

And last year's finish for the Bucs felt rather like this year's finish for BD: they were third in Prelims but picked up 1.5 pts. overnight to finish first in Finals. To the dismay of many in the audience! And there was a penalty involved (but it wasn't the deciding factor).

But in the longer term, you are of course correct about BD's incomparable dominance. Bucs have only 13 championships to BD's 17 wins, and Bucs finished out of the top five many times from the late 1980s to the late 1990s.

BD has a young Corps this season too. It ws amazing to see all their brass soloists that looked so young. And in the biggest show of the season, they boldly and confidently played their solos. There was nothing timid in BD's performance tonite, imy my assessment. And how old now is Brandon, BD's snare drummer ? Is he even out of High School yet ? I don't think he is. And I believe he won I & E competition too. BD will be loaded for years to come it looks to me.

• Like 1

Okay people, here's how I see it. DCI is art! An art form. So first, people are entitled to their own opinions. People didn't like Rite of Spring. People didn't understand Picasso. Plenty of people think Pollack is a hack. Famous art? Oh yeah. Criticized? Definitely. That's the great thing about art. You appeal to different people. It's ok if you don't like every show, and it's ok if you talk to someone that doesn't agree with you.

Second, stop caring about the scoring and the placement. The system of judging art is terrible and will always be terrible. Can you imagine having a contest across time and handing out medals to the best symphony composers in a one time performance? Mahler #2, Symphonie Fantastique, Shostakovich 5, New World, and Tchaik 6? Let's see if ranking those brings out the best in us.

So BD (Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, Patriots, Cardinals, etc...) won again. Forget the scores because they shouldn't matter. Enjoy the art. Relish your favorite shows, and put the youtube on repeat. I'm a crown fan all the way, and I'm going to bed very happy!

• Like 3

There are countless former members who have marched snare in top 12 corps that would beg to differ, including current crown center (and former cadets center when he was 17), and current BD snare (and former Crown center when he was also 17).

Point aside, again, I can't understand why people are calling for his head after one season. One season where he had quite literally only 4 members with world class corps experience.

While Mapes and Co. have done great work over the years, they still only finished 7th in drums (in large part due to their buddy Rothe tossing them a huge bone in finals). What am I missing here? How much more will they benefit Crown?

I hear you, but my main point is to have consistency in approach from bottom to the top. The Blue Devils besides attracting performers from other corps per your example, They have the C corps, the B Corps and RCC. I grew up and marched in SoCal, I know first hand seeing RCC peeps going to BD. The philosophy approach and culture is the same throughout. SCV with Rennick has the North Texas talent pool, hence their success because the approach and culture is the same. Blue Stars in my opinion may not achieve that success because in a weird way, Blue Stars serves as feeder to Pulse Percussion. A lot of POW guys march with the Blue Stars then move up to Pulse, From there to other corps.

Anyways, I feel like I'm gas bagging, sorry. Either way, we all want the best for Crown and we all know the weakness that needs to be addressed. So I guess we can agree there. :-)

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

I noticed 3 of the judges scores for the Crown were not in sync with their other scores for the finals. Their scores for the Crown were noticeably lower then the mean or avg scores they were giving for the night. Standard deviation would conclude their scores should have been thrown out. Ergo: the two top corps should have a "Showout". I would pay to see that happen.

SCV's percussion definitely suffered tonight....dropping .15 from semi's when most went up.

BD has a young Corps this season too. It ws amazing to see all their brass soloists that looked so young. And in the biggest show of the season, they boldly and confidently played their solos. There was nothing timid in BD's performance tonite, imy my assessment. And how old now is Brandon, BD's snare drummer ? Is he even out of High School yet ? I don't think he is. And I believe he won I & E competition too. BD will be loaded for years to come it looks to me.

He's 17. Speaking of soloists, the young lady that played the mello solos right before the last part of the closer was incredible. Solid all year. Don't think I ever heard her crack a note.

• Like 3