MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Well I had Madison in finals over Boston. Better show and of course any narration like Boston has just drives me up the wall but they were cleaner than the Scouts last night. Got to be a lot of relieved Boston homers this morning. Hopefully the Scouts will bring a stronger product next year, although I'm not sure I'll be following this much anymore. DCI has just lost me pretty much the last few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just "Crazy Pit Girl's" expressions on the jumbo that gave BAC the 1/4 lead over scouts.

She was great.

• Like 1

Interesting conversation going on in the alumni thread for sure this morning. And I must say that I find it encouraging and interesting to hear from a lot of the alums that were in that 75 corps that had stepped away from the activity, to finally speak their their minds today. Yeah I would venture to say Scouts are at a crossroads in their history. This could be a good thing though. I think it will be. In my humble opinion a wake up call that was needed.

Edited by Madcityscout

Interesting conversation going on in the alumni thread for sure this morning. And I must say that I find it encouraging and interesting to hear from a lot of the alums that were in that 75 corps that had stepped away from the activity, to finally speak their their minds today. Yeah I would venture to say Scouts are at a crossroads in their history. This could be a good thing though. I think it will be. In my humble opinion a wake up call that was needed.

Curious on if they are talking about retaining the same image, staff changes, or new and improved image? Edited by BlueStainGlass

That said, congrats to Boston. I helped those guys out a couple of years ago and I have nothing but good to say about their organization and their Alumni. Good group of people.

Classy, BigBadMadMan. Classy. And I'm not even a Boston "homer."

I have just resigned myself to the fact that the Scouts are a "has been". It sucks, but it is what it is. Maybe they can turn things around, but I'm not expecting it. I love Scott Stewart as a person, but I think he hung on too long and did irrevocable damage to the future of the corps at a critical turning point in the direction of the activity. There's not a single other year-in-year-out Top 6 corps from the last couple of decades that is in the position the Scouts continually find themselves in. Last season was the first time they've really sniffed the Top 6 since 2005 and one year later they're out of Finals altogether.

I doubt there is any other corps that has had the same wild swings in placement that the Scouts have had over the past decade either, save maybe Blue Stars.

Keep your chin up, and head held high for your group, MadMan. It'll happen. Just don't let "has been" ever enter your mind. There's something about self-fulfilling prophecies that sometimes come back and....

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just "Crazy Pit Girl's" expressions on the jumbo that gave BAC the 1/4 lead over scouts.

She was great.

Call me crazy but her viral popularity seemed to help the corps immediately. Even in the judging.

Yet when they try to keep the past alive and don't score well, that same crowd is the first to lead the charge demanding change.... That they'll later ##### about.

Spot on. The Scouts Admin needs to tell that group of alums to sit down and shut up and let them run things

the way they need to for the future good of the organization. People on their staff like KC are super creative and inventive, and are

among the best at what they do....they need the freedom to unleash their ideas and be leaders of innovation again.

That's really difficult to do when they are hamstrung by the feelings of the alumni base.

And it might be good to ditch the "this is who we are" crap. I guarantee that in the 70s, there was no preaching about "staying true to our identity".

The preaching was "We're here to win". The identity, the swagger, the mystique, came from always shooting to be the best.

Being the crowd favorite was a byproduct, not the main goal.

Edited by Nine White Russians
  • Like 1

Call me crazy but her viral popularity seemed to help the corps immediately. Even in the judging.

By immediately, you mean 3 weeks, right? You realize that's almost half the season, right?

Ridiculous..

• Like 8

MS is a great drum corp. I think this the second time they have miss finals in 40+ years. I would say a pretty good record.

MS is a great drum corp. I think this the second time they have miss finals in 40+ years. I would say a pretty good record.

It's 5 times now since 1972...but who's counting...