Loudest chord of 2015?

How can a single vocalist sing a chord?

Throat singing?

Yes!

Thanks for that clip; I never knew Letterman once had a throat singer as a guest. Is that four simultaneous notes at the end?

"Back Tuva Future" indeed!

I had an app measuring SPL for the entire duration of finals from my seat in section 541. The loudest moment of the night was at the end of Bluecoats show where my phone read 108 dB. This is insane considering I was sitting above the judges.

All hail the power of the pit! :silly: :silly: :silly:

• Like 1

Either Crown, Madison, or the Cadets. Crown in the section leading to the ballad, Madison's opening statement, and Cadets in their TEN set in the closer.

Bluecoats were surprisingly QUIET compared to the rest of the top five, and that's after hearing them up in the 400s and 7 rows back in the 100s during finals week. Their hornline have an amazingly rich sound, but it was noticeably softer than the others, which I was really surprised by.

• Like 1

Exceeding loud? Surely not louder than a line of G bugles?

I know it sounded like an odd comment...I am from the G-Bugle era...and don't get me wrong...those G bugles could peel paint and I absolutely LOVED it...It was a different kind of sound though...It is hard to describe unless you have actually experienced it live...that's all I can say...similar to watching videos now versus in person...but not quite the same...exceeding loud fits when things seem to be more symphonic in nature these days...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Instead of taking risks with stupid trampolines or mufflers try some refreshing new music that isn't insipid and safe. Minor keys are real nice that time of year. I want to hear a real horn book not a safe whole note fest up until the closer. DO IT!

Wow....I think you are pretty insane. if you don't mind my saying... :smile:

Do you realize how exposed a lot of Crown's horn book is? Just their opening alone from 2015. So many times we have heard their 80+ horn players play insane parts spread out, in time and most of the time in near perfect synconicity.

Go check out Crown 2012....safe?

probably the closest in terms of demand to Star 91

And you want to add another corps to the dark/dissonant list? So whats that, 17 out of 22 corps? :dry:

On topic

Loudest....SCV was a real loud hornline. Crown BD and Cadet up there as well...

• Like 1

I never had the pleasure of seeing any competitive corps on G bugles live (I saw my first show in 2005) but from the recordings of pretty much any corps before 2000 this doesn't really seem possible.

In 1987 I saw the show in Sevierville where the Blue Devils won. I sat in the 10th row right around the 50 for their encore (horn arc only, no marching). Those were G bugles and it was so loud it literally hurt my ears. Loved every second of it!!!

IF we're talking about loudest moment of a show, including drums, brass, synth, pit, etc., then I think it was Blooo at the end of their show where the synth is revving up big time with brass and percussion.

If we're talking about a specific chord, I think it was Carolina Crown at the beginning of the Beethoven 9 intro to the show (those first big hits and the chord that follows), or possibly the Blue Devils brass line at the close of the ballad.

Overall, I'd say Carolina Crown brings the most power for the entire show. That is kind of their calling card -- a big powerful and controlled sound. They were really letting them blow this year, too. When I saw them in Akron I thought that might be the loudest brass line I'd ever heard. I'm sure it got refined some before finals.

And that brings me to this point...a lot of corps don't "bring home the bacon" come late in the season, and especially at Finals, like they do early. Early shows are often the best times to get that BIG sound from the corps. Come finals it all depends on where their scores are, what judges are saying, who feels the need to reel it in, or perhaps let loose. Phantom Regiment should have won brass in 2003, but they let loose on Finals night and killed a magnificent show and brass line. They won high brass most of that season over everyone. I thought Carolina came out at Finals this year and pulled back. They played it safe for a while. I thought it hurt. The Cadets overall musicality this year paid dividends with their expressive and dynamically-controlled performance.

• Like 3

I'd have to go with the first hit by BD in both semis and Finals. They came to play.