Staff merri-go-round

How can any board of any organization that states it's reason for being is to lead and educate kids, allow this? Year after year? If true, it would make anyone wonder where the DCI leadership is on this. What a mess.

Possibly relevant: the discussion under "Executive Director" in Bill Cook's "How to Start a Drum Corps," here.

• Like 1

If all this is true, I am freaking p#ssed.

If it's all true, and the BOD doesn't do anything, I see the alumni pockets drying up pretty quickly.

• Like 2

If it's all true, and the BOD doesn't do anything, I see the alumni pockets drying up pretty quickly.

I just heard a rumor that this is going to be addressed, but I don't want to come out and say the rumor because it hasn't been proven.

We'll just have to find out.

Correct. The board should have addressed it

I've been involved with a fair number of non-profits, not in drum corps. For an org the size of YEA with an ED in the role for 35 years, I'd be surprised if the YEA BoD has a lot of independence. This often leads to poor governance and a lack of oversight/accountability. It doesn't make it right, just depressingly common.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the specifics of the YEA BoD.

• Like 4

Possibly relevant: the discussion under "Executive Director" in Bill Cook's "How to Start a Drum Corps," here.

I always enjoy reading Bill Cook's stuff. What he does not say, but hints at is that he was also a delegator. He didn't run the bus company, or the travel agency, (or many of the divisions of Cook Enterprises). He found great leaders/managers and let them do their job.

• Like 2

I always enjoy reading Bill Cook's stuff. What he does not say, but hints at is that he was also a delegator. He didn't run the bus company, or the travel agency, (or many of the divisions of Cook Enterprises). He found great leaders/managers and let them do their job.

That's exactly how the most successful leaders operate, including in drum corps.

• Like 1