2017 Uniform Thread

10 minutes ago, SeanMcSean said:

That's really my issue.  An earlier post said "you can tell Crown, from, Boston, from Devs, etc.

And sure, you can. But to me, I feel like a uniform should identify the organization on sight.  Modifications for the show are ok, as is a major overhaul on occasion.  My worry is when we get to the point that I won't recognize a corps on sight, because of how frequently the uniform changes

So why do corps and bands carry banners in parades?....just sayin'...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Those look a lot better "live" than in the promo photo.

and they look so good on the field you have no idea

16 minutes ago, Liahona said:

How many parades, on average, vs. contests (28-31) do Corps do these days?

24 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Not sure that's the correct analogy. Some lay people may not know who a given group is. It would be odd if BLUE DEVILS marched  onto the field wearing yellow onesies. I get the variation on one's unis for a particular show but still think guard, flags, props should be the ones conveying visually what's going on, not necessarily the corps proper but that's my 40 something wishes talking I guess. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanMcSean said:

That's really my issue.  An earlier post said "you can tell Crown, from, Boston, from Devs, etc.

And sure, you can. But to me, I feel like a uniform should identify the organization on sight.  Modifications for the show are ok, as is a major overhaul on occasion.  My worry is when we get to the point that I won't recognize a corps on sight, because of how frequently the uniform changes

Be prepared to worry my friend.  I think we are seeing the beginning of corps making significant uni/costume changes each year or more frequently. IMO it's the final frontier so to speak for corps visually.  As corps explore more cohesive musical themes and are successful with them, the complete program package will be to have the costuming tie the program together.  It began a few years ago and hit the accelerator with Bluecoats last year (Academy too).  The visual designers are unleashing their creativity as they become more collaborative with the music designers.  And, the way new costumes are made (printing on fabric) brings costs to a manageable point where more frequent costume changes can be made.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SeanMcSean said:

I can understand your concern but honestly, how long did it take you to identify Bluecoats last year on sight? One show? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tobias said:

Not sure that's the correct analogy. Some lay people may not know who a given group is. It would be odd if BLUE DEVILS marched  onto the field wearing yellow onesies. I get the variation on one's unis for a particular show but still think guard, flags, props should be the ones conveying visually what's going on, not necessarily the corps proper but that's my 40 something wishes talking I guess. 

If the Blue Devils did take the field in yellow onesies, i bet it'd be well received in the end if only because, "Well the Blue Devils are back to being super weird again...." :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Is crossmen due for a full uniform change contractually?

"Full" uniform?  No.  There are parts of the uniform that stay the same.  Other parts don't.