A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

When I was a field conductor, that was general sentiment. ☺️

Field Conductor's Job... follow the timing of the battery.  Oh, and make sure your back-side movements are visually appealing to those in the first few rows of the audience who enjoy watching the field conductors! :cool:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, and I'm pleased, and quite enthused!, by what I'm hearing from Hop.  But the irony keeps hitting me...hating him for his influence then and now coveting it, if his words are true and honest.

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Loved hearing Hopkins take.  Exactly how I feel on electronics.  

GH is smart and very good at what he does, but he is also perplexing to me.  He has said many things that contradict each other over the past decades; from altruistic statements to the G7 proposal; and has also produced some of the most traditional designs to some of the most esoteric within that time frame.  So, here is a question for anyone willing to tackle it: Is GH a creature of true change like a Caterpillar into a Butterfly actually changing deep belief structures; or does he more resemble a Chameleon that adjusts its color in accordance with a specific current predator in which he thinks is threatening his influence and corps?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

The shroud of the dark side conceals many things 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

So, here is a question for anyone willing to tackle it: Is GH a creature of true change like a Caterpillar into a Butterfly actually changing deep belief structures; or does he more resemble a Chameleon that adjusts its color in accordance with a specific current predator in which he thinks is threatening his influence and corps?

I think he is probably the later -- a Chameleon more than a Caterpillar. Despite his ramblings about just do your best, winning isn't important, scores are not important -- things that he has been known to say over the last 3+ decades -- I believe he is very competitive and wants to lead in score, in performance, and innovation.  Like any competitor, when you are unable to keep up with the Jones' you look for help. In DCI competition that help will come from a combination of things: affecting the judging sheets (in this case how electronics/amps are dealt with), getting better talent, getting better designers, and getting better teachers. 

Like any corps director he needs a support staff, volunteers, a place to call home, and lots of cash.  If any of those things break down he is in deep doo doo. He has already lost some excellent design staff and teachers over the years.  He must tread carefully at this point so that quality, hard-working kids still want to come and be Cadets.

The current crop of members have done a really good job. I like the show. It is not perfect and the Cadets staff mucked around with it for too long and failed to really clean. This show is a much better product than last year by a long shot. But the damage was done last year and the 2 or 3 previous seasons before 2016.  

I believe GH is smart enough to know that once you get knocked out of the box (perennial top 3 contender) it is hard to recover. The Cavaliers were knocked out and have not fully recovered yet. They are incredibly good this year, but I think there is a difference between the Cavies and the top 4 (Bloo, BD, Crown, SCV). The top 4 corps from the last two years have momentum. They have staff, great recruits, resources, money, big volunteer support, facilities, and popularity. Who knows when the Cavaliers will return to top 3. Same for Phantom Regiment. And when will Madison Scouts find their old selves? With the very excellent Boston Crusaders already pushing up the ladder in year one of their renaissance it is obvious they will be a force for years to come if they keep that staff and design team together.  The Cavaliers and Cadets will have to deal with Boston, let alone Bluecoats, Crown, BD, SCV. 

So yes, GH is looking for a way to change the game that would put him back in the lead again. Changing the sheets, complaining about electronics and amplification, and looking for other shortcuts will not get it done. Props and tarps and costumes and gimmicks will not get it done.  What gets it done is money, great design, great teaching, and great performance. They need to concentrate on becoming great performers once again. Brass, percussion, guard, and marching need to be the main focus. Everything else is just icing on the cake...but only after the cake is fully baked. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Ok then. That means while you want to have the rules package of the 'anniversary tribute shows' to go back just a very few short years, you have no desire to accommodate those who would want the 'anniversary tribute shows' to go back to the rules packages of the '90s, '80s, or '70s. Thanks for your honesty. :cool:

thats the beauty of complaints about the on field product.....everyone has their personal preferences and no one can fully agree to disagree

5 hours ago, Sideways said:

The shroud of the dark side conceals many things 

always in motion the future is

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I think he is probably the later -- a Chameleon more than a Caterpillar. Despite his ramblings about just do your best, winning isn't important, scores are not important -- things that he has been known to say over the last 3+ decades -- I believe he is very competitive and wants to lead in score, in performance, and innovation.  Like any competitor, when you are unable to keep up with the Jones' you look for help. In DCI competition that help will come from a combination of things: affecting the judging sheets (in this case how electronics/amps are dealt with), getting better talent, getting better designers, and getting better teachers. 

Like any corps director he needs a support staff, volunteers, a place to call home, and lots of cash.  If any of those things break down he is in deep doo doo. He has already lost some excellent design staff and teachers over the years.  He must tread carefully at this point so that quality, hard-working kids still want to come and be Cadets.

The current crop of members have done a really good job. I like the show. It is not perfect and the Cadets staff mucked around with it for too long and failed to really clean. This show is a much better product than last year by a long shot. But the damage was done last year and the 2 or 3 previous seasons before 2016.  

I believe GH is smart enough to know that once you get knocked out of the box (perennial top 3 contender) it is hard to recover. The Cavaliers were knocked out and have not fully recovered yet. They are incredibly good this year, but I think there is a difference between the Cavies and the top 4 (Bloo, BD, Crown, SCV). The top 4 corps from the last two years have momentum. They have staff, great recruits, resources, money, big volunteer support, facilities, and popularity. Who knows when the Cavaliers will return to top 3. Same for Phantom Regiment. And when will Madison Scouts find their old selves? With the very excellent Boston Crusaders already pushing up the ladder in year one of their renaissance it is obvious they will be a force for years to come if they keep that staff and design team together.  The Cavaliers and Cadets will have to deal with Boston, let alone Bluecoats, Crown, BD, SCV. 

So yes, GH is looking for a way to change the game that would put him back in the lead again. Changing the sheets, complaining about electronics and amplification, and looking for other shortcuts will not get it done. Props and tarps and costumes and gimmicks will not get it done.  What gets it done is money, great design, great teaching, and great performance. They need to concentrate on becoming great performers once again. Brass, percussion, guard, and marching need to be the main focus. Everything else is just icing on the cake...but only after the cake is fully baked. 

"When confounded by actions that don't seem to make sense, consider the nature of the beast."  - Unknown

"When we zig, everyone zigs.  Zag." - GH

I think the most encouraging statement in the interview is that "everybody" - i.e. not just Hop - is talking about whether amplified brass & giant props have gone too far. I don't think too many in the activity are taking their cues from GH at this point. If the activity is going to pull back, others are going to have to champion it both at the rules congress and in other discussions.

Because so many of DCI's design trends are basically "follow the leader", the window to act here is short. Bloo ditched the traditional uniform in 16 and won, this year 75% of the top 12 skipped a traditional uniform. SCV is going to do very well with an amplified small brass ensemble this year, how many will do similar next year? 

• Like 2