Madison Scouts 2018

34 minutes ago, Volt said:

*respectfully snipped*

Without REAL people, this is nothing but an exercise in being an armchair quarterback.

Welcome to DCP.

You do realize it's kinda what we do here, right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, geluf said:

Having a single female member is not going "co-ed" in the way MikeRapp is describing it.

Is there a legally defined number that would say "ok, now you're coed"? 

5 women? 10? 50? 1?

There's a woman in the corps this year. They're coed. Again, it hasn't fixed or changed anything significantly.

Edited by Slingerland

12 hours ago, brianella said:

The fundamental problem is financial, clearly. If the Scouts cannot be sustained by Madison, move!  Go somewhere where bingo is viable or Corp sponsors willing. I also marched in Madison Jr Scouts too bring it back. Bring in women, seriously bring in an invigorated board and change executive director. Sorry but my insiders say the executive director has a rubber stamp board. The shows have been abysmal since Jim Mason departed. The financial strategy seems heavy on alumni donations, is that how top Corp fund their operations? No not at all. The shows recently have neither been crowd pleasers nor judge pleasers. If the financial situation isn’t improved how many years will they endure? My insiders say the financials haven’t improved markedly since Komnick took over. I’m  seriously thinking of donating my money and changing my allegiance to Crown or SCV or Cavies or Phantom or.... there is a lot of exciting programs out there

Honestly there was nothing wrong with the show in 2015. It  sounded like the Scouts and they looked like the Scouts. It was a crowd pleaser and guess what..it placed real well. They've been going away fast and furious from that approach and dropping ever since.  

Be who you are and you will always be happy. Soon as you start pandering....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Is there a legally defined number that would say "ok, now you're coed"? 

5 women? 10? 50? 1?

There's a woman in the corps this year. They're coed. Again, it hasn't fixed or changed anything significantly.

No, I think being coed, would entail just opening up tryouts to anyone who met the age requirements.  And the best (in each section) would get into the corps.  Kinda like what Crown, Cadets or Blue Devils do.  Maybe not a single women would "make the team", but I would think that a rare occurrence.  I don't think "setting a specific number" is a viable alternative.  The question is not that there is 1 woman in this years corps, but will next year's corps be open to all women who want to participate (and who are better than others trying out who happen to be male).  It's kinda like being colorblind about the racial makeup of the corps.  No one cares!  And those who support Scouts going coed are wanting it to be the same relative to the sex of the members.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but don't like to see arguments (discussions) that mistake the alternative position. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

Honestly, the fact that there are about a dozen better options.

Maybe, but from what I’ve seen and heard...for a number of years...the Scouts are a class act, regardless of placement.  They are just as worthy an option as all the others...maybe more so.  

On 7/2/2018 at 12:45 PM, Tupac said:

Do the Scouts get any support from any local businesses in the Madison area or the local government? Are they getting any money from businesses in Indiana?

I think I read somewhere that they formed a new group like "forward progress" or something like that  located in Madison, so maybe that is helping them to get local support.

But, I would think not having a home base would affect donations to the Scouts organization.

saying you're from madison but doing everything in Indiana probably doesn't help. I know people would say that about Boston, but they do a lot up there after winter camps

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Going co-ed could also reduce the corps talent level.

Did you put any thought into this statement prior to posting it?  You have to be shiteing  us!  One would imagine that every coed corps that has won the Ott award for decades has had females in their brass line.  The BD won top brass for many years since 76 with females as soloists.  Is it CC who show cases eight females as soloists this year?  Un frigging believable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

First off,the Cavies seem fine with this "dated tradition".

I disagree that, by being all male, the Scouts are "turning away half of the population".

You really need to look into the numbers,as they pertain to participation in this activity. 

If the Scouts were having trouble filling all their slots,opening up the corps to females could be an option.

But I haven't read anywhere that this is an issue.

If not,  then,to me, the 2 reasons   to go co-ed are  economic or societal .

If the organization believes going co-ed would help economically,look into it.

But get an objective study,not just an on line poll,before you pull the trigger.

Any study would have to access the impact of losing a big chunk of  what alumni support you have.

As far as societal,why is wrong to want to maintain the all male tradition in the corps ?

Going co-ed could also reduce the corps talent level.

Are you now going to be required to "slot" a specified number of females,even in they are "out auditioned" by males ?

Well I wouldn't exactly compare Cavies with Madison. They are two different organizations and the Cavaliers are a much bigger draw for talent than Madison is. Since Madison's last win in '88 the Cavaliers have been exponentially more successful from a competitive standpoint than Madison. So saying "the Cavaliers are fine" doesn't mean Madison should to continue to be all male. Honestly, I would never want to march Madison today. No way. I'm obviously not the only one that feels that way.

I think people, at least I do, refer to "turning away half the population" because it is an easy way to phrase it. That's all. Rather than saying "38.2% of the population" - whatever it is. I would also argue the Scouts have having a huge problem filling their spots - with top talent. So why limit yourself? You're already losing with the male population to Cavies, Regiment and Blue Stars, why exclude the female population? 

I get tradition. I get brotherhood. But I also see an organization that is failing. I don't know what the answers are, and of course going co-ed wouldn't be the end all of solving their problems, but it would hopefully help from a talent persepctive, which can help you move up the ranks.

How did Madison fans go from hoping they make top 3 or 5 to hoping they make finals? That tells you right there were the organization is headed, at least competitively.

24 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Did you put any thought into this statement prior to posting it?  You have to be shiteing  us!  One would imagine that every coed corps that has won the Ott award for decades has had females in their brass line.  The BD won top brass for many years since 76 with females as soloists.  Is it CC who show cases eight females as soloists this year?  Un frigging believable.

I wish  you would have read my post a bit more carefully,before you start slinging insults.

You quoted one sentence,taken out of context.

My next sentence ,which refers back to the sentence you quoted ,said "Are you going to be required to slot a specified number of females,even if they are "out auditioned" by males".

If a co-ed Scouts corps is going to rely on a male/female "quota"  system, to "slot" members,it is possible that you will be accepting less talented members,male and female, to meet those quotas.

My solution,as one person also posted,would be for the best performers make the corps,regardless of "numbers".

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1