The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Keep in mind that the jurisdiction of the State where the abuse occurs is the one where any prosecution will occur.  Or for that matter, different countries as well if it happened in Canada or on one of the various European tours in the past

That’s why Texas was getting ready to go after Jerry Sandusky if PA dropped the ball. JS had kid in his rom at an Alamo Bowl

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Honestly, I think this reporter did say more than once how the victims were reluctant to say anything because of how much the Cadets meant to them and their love of the organization. That is positive press amongst the bad ... but it was reported ... word for word with video to support it. I don’t think she is trying to trash the activity but to shine a light on the abuses we all know have existed. I hope all the cockroaches run for cover. 

I would rather all the cockroaches be forced into the open and squished.  Every last one of them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

How do you suggest they pound the beat & do the legwork?  Go to a corps camp & ask members if any of them have been assaulted by staff?  Or do similar at shows? 

I think the request seems reasonable, as there are only so many former members; and some number less than all of these have been assaulted (I know I wasn't.  So, that means at most there are no more than 'all former members -1' potential victims).  Get a list of self-reported victims, and start the investigating from there.

Of course, this could backfire on the reporter.  She may have to deal with "she who must never be mentioned from RAMD..."

It started snowing just as I began reading this...

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

The gold standard in crisis communications is the Johnson & Johnson response to the Tylenol poisoning situation in the 1980s.

I was at the press conference when they laid out their response (J&J's corporate HQ in NJ was in our listening area) ... and it was 100 percent  spot on. They took full responsibility, and took swift action to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

If only the YEA board had followed the J&J playbook. 

Agree w J&J example.  Back in previous career, I was trained (by the group from Columbia Univ.) in the closely-related subject of 'risk communication'.  J&J tylenol was an example of doing it right.  Two other well-executed examples are Rudi Guilianni on Sep 11, & Tony Blair after the London bombings.

Public relations is part of the solution.  But a bigger part, IMHO, is to root out all the sexual predators in Drum Corps & ensure they are no longer welcome in the activity.  Let the legal system do what it can.  Drum Corps has ONE chance to get this right - fool them once, shame on you; fool them twice, shame on me.

Today I learned that in certain special legal circumstances, there's actually something called a "taint team", and I so want that to become relevant to this story.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Been working for 35+ years and thinking of the changes in sexual harassment and other areas. Back then it was make excuses, talk around it or tell the victim not to make waves so everything seems ok on the surface (worry about image). Now it’s deal with the real problem and either counsel or remove the offender (hades with image correct/remove the problem). That’s why making this a PR problem bugs me.

PR can get a bad rap, sometimes deservedly so, but lots of people are bad at communication and need the help.

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well, lets not FURTHER" blur the lines " though too.  There is a HUGE difference between " rape" and " unwanted advances". One is clear and unambiguous as an act of sexual abuse. In essence, its a heinous act of physical violence. A  crime of supreme magnitude. The other.. " unwanted advances ".. can be bit more in the grey area. Flirtations can even be deemed " unwanted advances " by the recipient of the flirtations. I suppose if the attempt at flirtation by the recipient is deemed " unwanted ", it clearly needs to stop and immediately on the part of the flirter. But in any event, lets not blur the lines between " rape " and " unwanted advances " as that does not advance anything.  " Rape " has been " rape " since the dawn of times. There has never been a " bluring of the lines " when it comes to " rape ", no matter the timeline in history. I don't think this is what you meant to say, but your words utilized here perhaps let you down a little bit... thats possible

I believe in other posts I said Rape OR unwanted advances as in including in unwanted advances as not acceptable also. So what was meant was OR not and

If you read back in many posts I have made I did said many times " at no time was rape ever acceptable bitd or now

There have never been blurred lines concerning rape.  The blurred lines statement was the bitd and what was acceptable as far as personal relationships or not.( not rape of course ) In today's world the lines are pretty clear.

Although you are right there is a clear difference between rape and unwanted advances. " Unwanted advances by people of power can be very damaging to a person and many have suffered personally and professionally. So if there ever is a question of unwanted anything today we are much more aware than ever and if one is not sure what that is then just don't do it. This I'm sure most if not all might agree.

Edited by GUARDLING

26 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would rather all the cockroaches be forced into the open and squished.  Every last one of them.

well and the reporter is going to have to do some vetting and verified. Sara Ganim did the Penn State story, and I know the Joe faithful bashed her, but she did some pretty good investigative work on fleshing things out that opened doors for the AG's office to dig deeper.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

well and the reporter is going to have to do some vetting and verified. Sara Ganim did the Penn State story, and I know the Joe faithful bashed her, but she did some pretty good investigative work on fleshing things out that opened doors for the AG's office to dig deeper.

Keep in mind the Indy Star has picked up the story.  DCI is in Indy (isn't that convenient).  & Indy Star broke the Larry Nasser story.  Their reporters understand the issues involved.

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Today I learned that in certain special legal circumstances, there's actually something called a "taint team", and I so want that to become relevant to this story.

boy did Colbert have fun with that!

• Haha 3