The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Keep in mind the Indy Star has picked up the story.  DCI is in Indy (isn't that convenient).  & Indy Star broke the Larry Nasser story.  Their reporters understand the issues involved.

it went over the AP wire. Papers from the New York Times to the Harrisburg Patriot News had access to it. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it went over the AP wire. Papers from the New York Times to the Harrisburg Patriot News had access to it. 

Indystar Public Safety Reporter (aka, the crime beat), Ryan Martin, is now covering it from Indy. He used some of the AP content for source material. But he has talked directly with Dan and the DCI offices and is authoring from the local perspective.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/06/indy-based-drum-corps-international-investigating-sexual-misconduct-allegations/492909002/

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Indystar Public Safety Reporter (aka, the crime beat), Ryan Martin, is now covering it from Indy. He used some of the AP content for source material. But he has talked directly with Dan and the DCI offices and is authoring from the local perspective.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/06/indy-based-drum-corps-international-investigating-sexual-misconduct-allegations/492909002/

the rumor was there. the question is if they knew specifics. In fact the rumor started spreading from the meetings IN indy

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok how about making this solely or mainly a PR problem bugs me. Yes YEAs ability to communicate sucks but there is more to the problem than that. See rmm155s post above for explanation. 

To me PR is dealing with the world outside of your group. YEA also needs to do a lot of work internally

I agree that they need a lot of internal work. But...they need professionals who are experienced in dealing with the public to be the "public face" for communication. The first  YEA/BOD statement made that obvious. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To me PR is dealing with the world outside of your group. YEA also needs to do a lot of work internally

The optimist in me wants to believe they are already planning to leave, in which case good PR helps the future YEA and the mms.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

The optimist in me wants to believe they are already planning to leave, in which case good PR helps the future YEA and the mms.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well and the reporter is going to have to do some vetting and verified. Sara Ganim did the Penn State story, and I know the Joe faithful bashed her, but she did some pretty good investigative work on fleshing things out that opened doors for the AG's office to dig deeper.

Scarey part is how far things would NOT have gone if she hadn’t kept digging. Would have continued to be the “someone told me that someone told them” type stories and that’s all. Was actually told one of these by a Lancer bari who was an ex cop.

• Like 1

So the Indy report says DCI has reporting procedures and will make sure corps will have them too. Good as that piece has not been discussed in the statements some corps have made. Can’t fight this if people don’t know how to report it. Especially if they don’t trust who they would report it to

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Today I learned that in certain special legal circumstances, there's actually something called a "taint team", and I so want that to become relevant to this story.

I read that too!  Despite the severity of the situation, it made me giggle...

Mike