A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

Those of you scurrying about like Chicken Little and proclaiming that the sky is falling... take a calm breath, and ask yourselves the following:

- Why did that smoking-gun story promised in August not materialize?

- Why is it not materializing today (or judging from reporter tweets, not anytime soon either)?

This feels like reporters shaking the trees.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Wow. The plot thickens, so to speak.

I worked in the news business...a  different era than today's 24/7 "gotta get the story out now" news cycle,  but a lot of the same principles apply... or should apply.  A reporter is really under no obligation to let someone know, in advance, that a story is about to break.

As you know, it's customary for reporters to ask the subject of a story for comment, though they often don't give them much time to respond, because they don't want to be scooped. (In political news lately, I've seen a couple reporters reach out to someone for comment only to see the respondent quickly do an interview with a friendlier media outlet in order to push out their version of events before the original reporter's story is released.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Those of you scurrying about like Chicken Little and proclaiming that the sky is falling... take a calm breath, and ask yourselves the following:

- Why is it not materializing today (or judging from reporter tweets, not anytime soon either)?

More like the reporter continued to put her ducks in order, then got detoured by the disgusting Rome-based criminal enterprise story that broke in PA, and is now back on this.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Very possible. Though I think it unlikely the reporters expected Acheson to make a public statement now, and that's what got us all talking.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

It's customary for reporters to ask the subject of a story for comment, though they often don't give them much time to respond, because they don't want to be scooped. (In political news lately, I've seen a couple reporters reach out to someone for comment only to see the respondent quickly do an interview with a friendlier media outlet in order to push out their version of events before the original reporter's story is released.)

Oh, absolutely reach out for a comment. Did that myself, on a number of occasions, when I was in radio news. But no reporter has to telegraph a story, either.  You get the comment or comments... thank the person for their cooperation... but under no circumstances are you obligated to say, "hey... the story's gonna be in the paper, or on our noon news, tomorrow" or whenever.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MikeD said:

My guess is "none". The structure of MFA is nothing like DCI. The relationship of bands and MFA is nothing like the relationship of corps and DCI. 

Just out of curiosity... what is the MFA/band relationship like? 

Not trying to be snarky here... I honestly don't know.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Because it was bigger than reporters thought is more likely than your shaking trees and chicken little metaphors. 

The last time this reporter put out a DCI story, it was deeply sourced.  If it had been a tabloid-type report, then your condescension might be warranted. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

22 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

More like the reporter continued to put her ducks in order, then got detoured by the disgusting Rome-based criminal enterprise story that broke in PA, and is now back on this.

To use a line lots of people hate, it may be not be “either/or, but both/and. It has been suggested that the August story did not materialize because people would not go on record. Every reporter has had that happen but it does not mean the story is false though it could mean there is all smoke no fire. The ducks in order theory also has merit, which may be dotting the “i’s” and crossing the “t’s.” However lots of reporters have said this when the truth is, they are searching for ducks to put in order. 

My guess, if the story involves an individual or individuals who are still involved in the activity after the GH debacle, the corps involved will be in trouble and DCI could be in trouble. If the person or persons are no longer involved or dead, it will be a different situation. 

If the story involves bad hiring since 2018, not following new procedures, and the like, there could be trouble. If it happened prior to 2018, it will still be a problem and a PR nightmare,  but not as severe.

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

Because it was bigger than reporters thought is more likely than your shaking trees and chicken little metaphors. 

The last time this reporter put out a DCI story, it was deeply sourced.  If it had been a tabloid-type report, then your condescension might be warranted. 

I do not think reporters are “shaking trees” either, but DCI is not a large enough organization for skilled reporters not to be able to handle this kind of a story, especially in comparison to the religious groups, athletic organizations, scouting, and the like that have faced similar situations, nor does it have the wealth of elite colleges and prep schools. I think the big problem with an organization like DCI is the rumor mill which often seems to be either 100% right or 100% wrong. Add to this “experts” who have no idea of what they’re talking about, including a few who no longer post on this site and not by their own choice. These issues are most likely what reporters face when investigating drum corps.