Pasadena, CA - Saturday, June 29, 2019

1 minute ago, MikeZ said:

I'm about as big a Vanguard fan as there is. My daughter is named after Gail Royer. I wear the 92 Vanguard tour shirt to finals every year.

That said....Vanguard does not march and play. At all. If bodies are moving on the field battery/pit/soloist/small ensembles are playing. It was bad last year, it's worse this year. They sound unbelievable. They should. They are standing still.

My enjoyment of the show is ruined, because I spend the whole time checking to see if anyone is moving and playing. I try to ignore it, but I'm a visual guy. That's what I do...I clean feet.

Z

Missing Pete Webber.

We are so much alike. I want them to win every year, but right now, I don’t want them to win this year. I want Crown too. Because winners influence the direction of the activity and Crown has musical drill that is both interesting and demanding, and their horn line does it while playing. But, I think Vanguard will probably win this year, because it doesn’t matter what I want, it matters what the judges want. 

I don’t even think they necessarily won’t deserve to win if they do, because their horn line, drum line guard are all capable of winning their captions, and deservedly so, but visually I just can’t get behind this show. They needed a fast and furious closer with excitement and a lot of movement. The closer is beautiful but this show seems to have two tempos: a calm walk, and slow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

And I'd still say Crown wins it. This year they are firing all cylinders with one of the most musically challenging books since Relentless.

You got to balance difficulty with performance.  You may be right that Crown's book is more difficult (I'm not smart enough to know), but I haven't seen anyone that has come close to executing their show as well as SCV so far this season. That might change by the end of the year, but I think SCV is at the top right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

yeah pc, i'm a phantom phan, too

That was a great touch. Beautiful encore by PC

• Like 4

For those of us who live for seeing a great drill there is still the Blue Stars to make us happy.  At least for now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, flammaster said:

That is the whole idea of DRUM CORPS.  Now go look it up and listen.  It is a contest not a toe tapper.

Yes I’m quite aware. 

The SCV music inaccessible on a relative scale.  It’s largely non-melodic. Hard to find a continuous theme that’s not percussive. I like it. It will develop. I’m talking accessibility for people who aren’t dedicated to posting in Drum Corps Forums 🤭

• Like 1

I think I've seen everyone from Boston now.  Can't see what they are doing this year!

Just now, fanman said:

Yes I’m quite aware. 

The SCV music inaccessible on a relative scale.  It’s largely non-melodic. Hard to find a continuous theme that’s not percussive. I like it. It will develop. I’m talking accessibility for people who aren’t dedicated to posting in Drum Corps Forums 🤭

Non-melodic? Are we watching the same thing?

• Like 2