2020 Rules Proposals

5 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Not every musical group should be or needs to be all-inclusive by using every instrument.

I can't agree more. If.....IF there were an actual viable reason for doing it that I could see tied into the overall survival of the activity, I might consider it. But DCI is just not the platform for all "all instruments" activity IMHO. I'm not going to pass judgement on it until 1. It actually happens and 2. I see the product on the field and how corps use said instrumentation. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I do have one corps director on my Facebook page.  That thing is on fire 🔥 with this stuff so I’m guessing he knows how I feel. 

Thank you, Terri, for reminding me to take a look at other forums.  Wow.

DCI on Facebook.  I was not expecting to see THAT overwhelming a majority opposed to woodwinds.  Also notable amid that furor, still so many people supporting the amp limits that their message is being heard loud and clear.

And on reddit, populated mostly by those of DCI-eligible age, the discussion underneath the memes reveals a distinct opposition to woodwinds.  In 2020.

As I have said before, wait long enough and someday the entire fan base will be generations raised on corps-style marching band, more amenable to the idea of woodwinds in DCI.  But it appears 2020 is too early yet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can't agree more. If.....IF there were an actual viable reason for doing it that I could see tied into the overall survival of the activity, I might consider it. But DCI is just not the platform for all "all instruments" activity IMHO. I'm not going to pass judgement on it until 1. It actually happens and 2. I see the product on the field and how corps use said instrumentation. 

See, this is such a rational approach to this issue.  Wait to see if it happens and what the product might look like.

That's called Giving the Benefit of the Doubt.

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I've said here for ten years that I have no problems with adding woodwinds as long as they're not allowed to be amplified, and I stand by that.

So bring on the bagpipes.

& lets amplify them while we're at it!  Actually could drown-out the thunderous goo.

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

See, this is such a rational approach to this issue.  Wait to see if it happens and what the product might look like.

That's called Giving the Benefit of the Doubt.

I know what the product will look/sound like.  I have seen what these designers do in the 40 other circuits they work in during the DCI off-season.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

& lets amplify them while we're at it!  Actually could drown-out the thunderous goo.

Back at UA, I used to do that to the cats who roomed next door to my room. I had a set of old Polk 4.5's and when they would get a little out of control, I would face them right at the wall and full blast some bagpipes until they stopped. I presume that it might actually have killed one of them. 

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I know what the product will look/sound like.  I have seen what these designers do in the 40 other circuits they work in during the DCI off-season

You have an advantage then and I can respect that. Still, others will listen with different ears and see with different eyes. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Back at UA, I used to do that to the cats who roomed next door to my room. I had a set of old Polk 4.5's and when they would get a little out of control, I would face them right at the wall and full blast some bagpipes until they stopped. I presume that it might actually have killed one of them. 

If certain posters can complain to DCP mods about the use of "mafia" as being offensive, we Irish/Scots and umpteen countries (like Greece, Italy, Israel) who have their own versions of bagpipes might find your slight as offensive as well. Unless the mods have one set of rules for one poster or two and a different set of rules for all the rest of us.