Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I watched the One World Show too.  It was great but not ONCE did anyone mention the unemployment rate or those affected by it.  The single mother waitress out of work with two kids to feed.  The real workers of America who don't have the luxury of telecommuting from their mid-town Manhattan apartment.  Guess we aren't - all - in this together. 

I don’t believe that was the point of the program.  It was part of WHO, bringing more awareness to the health aspect more than the economic aspect and yes, there can be a program that speaks specifically to a single aspect.  Not every component of the crisis needs to always be tied to another.  This was meant to honor those people on the front lines, working on saving people.  This was for nurses, doctors, researchers, and hospital workers working to their breaking point and many of them also dying.  So yeah we ARE in this together just some of us who are inconvenienced by having to stay home may not be.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, E3D said:

interesting really. 

I remember back about a year ago a certain member had a political figure for their avatar. That went on for a long time. The only time it stopped was when someone else put a different apposing political figure as their avatar. Which leads me to believe or the sneaking suspicion of sided tolerance.

Apologies your tread wen toff the tracks. 

That doesn’t mean the mods themselves are biased.  They respond to complaints.  If one side appears to get favorable treatment it might be because they complain more.  

You and another poster brushed up to the edge of the line in the last page, and they did not take those down.  I’m glad they didn’t, because you both made your points respectfully and positively, and set an example of forming an opinion objectively rather than based on political sides.  I found that encouraging in this encouragement thread.  

Here's some quarantine fun first shared about five days ago:

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I just wanted to give a big "Thank You" to you bunch of morons that got the "If the DCI Model Gets Cut Back..." thread closed.  #Salute  :spitting:

Here's some encouragement in these perilous times:

Kicker is that’s Doug Kenney who was one of the writers.... aka Brother Stork...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kicker is that’s Doug Kearney(sp?) who was one of the writers.... aka Brother Stork...

And co-founder of National Lampoon

And co-writer of Bored of the Rings, which 17 year old me found hilarious.  I still think of some of the lines when I watch the movie.  

His other contribution to Delta House was to hijack the band and lead them down the alley. 

Sadly, he died when he fell off a cliff in Hawaii.  I’m not sure anyone knows for sure whether it was an accident, substance-related, or suicide.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

And co-author of Bored of the Rings.

(About which more here.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Last summer I booked four seats in Business class on Lufthansa for our three-week trip to Italy in June.  They haven't cancelled our flights yet, and I haven't either.  I'm waiting for them to cancel to increase my chances of getting my money back.  I don't want a voucher, or airline credit, as who knows when it will safe for international travel again.

I need encouragement, but a hug would be better.

Smart move on your part. 

48 minutes ago, skevinp said:

And co-writer of Bored of the Rings, which 17 year old me found hilarious.  I still think of some of the lines when I watch the movie.  

His other contribution to Delta House was to hijack the band and lead them down the alley. 

Sadly, he died when he fell off a cliff in Hawaii.  I’m not sure anyone knows for sure whether it was an accident, substance-related, or suicide.  

Thanks for the memory jog. Discovered NL in college thanks to my room mate late 1977. Never missed an issue until it went under. Lol read an issue on an 8 hour bus ride back to college. No one sat next to me....

Had an issue with all covers up to that time. 40 years and still remember the write up for the infamous “if you don’t buy this magazine, we’ll shoot this dog” cover. Write up was “you did, we didn’t, quit worrying about it” 🙀

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2