If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

These “draconian measures” (overdramatic much?) are in place by recommendation of infectious disease experts. If they were doing more harm than good, they would not be in place. 

I have to call BS on that one.

We do not really know where the line is between good and harm, nor do we know for sure which tactics are working to what extent.  And that applies to the infectious disease experts too.  If you need an example, look no further than the nose on your face (and the mask covering it, thanks to a very recent 180-degree reversal of guidance from the experts).

We have to take a lot of it on faith.  And we have.  We (we the people, at least) have come together with 99+% efficiency to execute extreme, voluntary social distancing and other tactics for 15 days another 15 days until end of April to stop the spread.  These tactics come at a cost.  And I am not talking about mere economics.  Fitness routines have been disrupted.  Supply chains of health-related goods are strained.  If you like your doctor, you are socially distancing from your doctor.  Dentists too.  There are bans on elective surgeries, some of which are only really "elective" in a short-term scheduling sense. 

People will die from extending these circumstances longer and longer.  The only difference is that no one is counting those deaths.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

That is our system.  It is the best system there is.  But one thing it will suck at is pandemics.

And it is run by human beings... who just suck at preparing for the future...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2020 at 6:39 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

A minor quirk: you'll be expected to wear a mask every time you're in a crowded place.

EVbOnsxXQAARyEM?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 3

Assuming there’s a 2021 season... with corps having to fight to just stay operational, could this possibly result in a reduction of the prop/set-piece arms race that’s been building over the last few years? Maybe some leaner, meaner drum corps productions for a change?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Assuming there’s a 2021 season... with corps having to fight to just stay operational, could this possibly result in a reduction of the prop/set-piece arms race that’s been building over the last few years? Maybe some leaner, meaner drum corps productions for a change?

Hmmm were not some Corps getting “sweetheart deals” on equipment from some manufacturers? If I read right some corps were getting new equipment every year and then selling after the season. If the economy is bad for awhile this could affect those deals. Possibly some corps would not get new equipment and could not sell at end of season. That would cut into income.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

54 minutes ago, year1buick said:

One can hope. 

Mod hat here....

Please double check what you want to post, and if it appears to be political...change it. As has been stated quite often, politics is not permitted on DCP.

I have removed a couple of posts that clearly crossed the line.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agreed with the tone down. Apparently we have people here where the economy is hurting them and some here who were hit personally by sickness and death. So people would look at what hits them the most... we all have to remember not everyone is the same

People currently concerned about the impact on the economy are not just concerned about their own money but are concerned about the long term impact on all of society, including sickness and death that may result from damage to health care, safety, infrastructure, mental health, insurance, housing, and so forth.  

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, skevinp said:

People currently concerned about the impact on the economy are not just concerned about their own money but are concerned about the long term impact on all of society, including sickness and death that may result from damage to health care, safety, infrastructure, mental health, insurance, housing, and so forth.  

Totally get it. I was an Econ major,  emphasis on macro economics and monetary policy. Still, it’s hard for me to see that as the priority right now. Sorry. 
But I also have a MDiv. Can we please stop these t!t for tat arguments, at least for a little while? Please?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1