2022 Season Predictions

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

The DCI winter meetings in preparations for the 2022 Tour have shifted to virtual due to the new variant, travel issues, etc.  Here's a quote:

Originally planned to take place as an in-person event in Indianapolis, meeting organizers made the decision just prior to the New Year to shift the sessions to a “virtual” format in response to the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic and also its vast impact on air travel.

https://dci.org/news/annual-dci-winter-business-meetings-pivot-to-online-format?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email

so no rules proposals?

I’ll say this, and I sincerely hope I’m wrong. With schools across the country starting to go back to virtual learning because of the COVID 19 omicron variant, I’m now less confident that corps will be able to secure housing in some parts of the country. 

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Nothing mentioned in the DCI article posted on their website.  But it would be strange for zero proposals. 

Are rules proposals ever other year - somehow I seem to recall seeing this somewhere?  Last rules meeting was 2020 BC (before covid) - recall the woodwinds proposal that was not approved?  As there haven’t  been any competitions since then maybe DCI is waiting until 2023 to make any new changes, although membership size was announced last fall. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crownisking said:

I’ll say this, and I sincerely hope I’m wrong. With schools across the country starting to go back to virtual learning because of the COVID 19 omicron variant, I’m now less confident that corps will be able to secure housing in some parts of the country. 

It seems that the Omicron variant is extremely  contagious but not as severe, in general, for the triply vaccinated , at least, (though the hospitalizations are peeking because of the law of large numbers, etc.). In South Africa, it seems to have burnt out quickly.  I think Covid is the new normal, though I hate that term.  We all need to learn to live with it and to do our best to mitigate it’s effects. How does this effects drum corps? I have no idea. I only hope we can have a semi-normal season next year. But honestly, we’re in a dystopian era of drum corps.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Are rules proposals ever other year - somehow I seem to recall seeing this somewhere?  Last rules meeting was 2020 BC (before covid) - recall the woodwinds proposal that was not approved?  As there haven’t  been any competitions since then maybe DCI is waiting until 2023 to make any new changes, although membership size was announced last fall. 

DCI changes rules whenever and however they feel like it now.  Thanks for providing one such example as a reminder.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:39 AM, mjoakes said:

I predict that throughout the 2022 tour I will remain always baffled over how DCI presents its "Schedule & Tickets" pages on the web.

thats pretty much anything relating to their website since it was originally launched

• Like 1