Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

The punishment for not taking care of this stuff before it goes public is that the corps now has to 

• Demonstrate that it can comply with the DCI Code of Conduct in all areas of its operation.
  • Engage an independent third-party consultant to review Spirit of Atlanta’s organizational and training processes, clarify its accountability structure, and create and implement policies and procedures that ensure Spirit of Atlanta’s code of conduct and other policies align with or exceed the requirements of the DCI Code of Conduct.
  • Create a senior leadership position whose principal focus is to ensure that staff, volunteers and performers are provided with a positive working environment and have appropriate training and resources to ensure the health and welfare of all involved.

This should be the bare minimum for any corps, not the punishment that happens when they screw up. If the punishment for not taking care of this stuff is that nothing happens except maybe someone will be looking over your shoulder making sure you take care of it next time then what incentive is there for corps to be proactive about it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So DCI has put SoA on ‘probation’.  
From a practical standpoint what does this mean?  

Here is what it means. 

Three hours ago, both Spirit and DCI were watching this develop on social media, and still determined to do/say nothing and let it blow over.  Then came the corroboration, screenshots, etc.

Two hours ago, they knew they had to do something.

One hour ago, the coordinated announcements about the double secret probation (how apropos to borrow from Animal House).  Note how the press releases are carefully constructed so that some might believe the probation was enacted months ago, rather than 8:00 tonight.

Sorry - you asked specifically what "probation" means.  "Probation" means zero consequences... but screw up again and you are on your own.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

As I said in another thread when I forgot to name a corps it’s getting to be too hard to remember them all.

maybe it’s better to have a list of those not ####### things up

Perhaps. But a guy who has the pulse on the heartbeat on everything DCI you should have made mention all the “guilty parties”. No? Just asking.

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sorry - you asked specifically what "probation" means.  "Probation" means zero consequences... but screw up again and you are on your own.

It’s all about the money. There are livelihoods at stake. DCI doesn’t get money if corps are put on probation. No money lost at the gate with Pioneer not in the game, but Cadets, Phantom, Crossmen and Spirt, well that’s another story. DCI needs to purchase a bigger rug. 

Edited by Poppycock

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So what training does a music educator have in this regard?

Part of the issue is the way some drum corps use the words educator and teacher. I read bios of instructional staff and I have no question about the talent of the instructors or the vast drum corps experience many have, but are they actually teachers or educators? Did they have any education courses in college? Do they work in school settings when drum corps is on hiatus? Qualified teachers should know about reporting, know the importance and responsibilities of supervision, and would take complaints seriously. It may be too much to expect that every instructor in drum corps has the minimum of a bachelors in music with the credits to be a certified teacher, but some of the issues the young woman from Spirit mentions would most likely be handled differently by actual teachers with credentials. Not doing so could mean not just their drum corps job, but their year round teaching positions as well. I know a few years back a young person almost drowned at a day camp. The person who was supposed to be supervising the pool lost her job when it was determined she was negligent. She also lost her teaching job at a public school when it was deemed she violated her contract. Properly trained teachers would understand this, and would realize that if they were negligent in summer jobs, depending on what their contracts state, could lose their off season teaching positions. 

I might also add that directors of drum corps need to better understand the importance of supervision. I’m sure when corps look to hire a director knowing how to manage a budget and fundraise are key areas to consider, but can the person manage and supervise staff and volunteers? 

• Like 2