MY MESSAGE & PLEA TO FLOMARCHING

26 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Nope, you're not the only one.  Laptop version showing "event hasn't started yet" even though scheduled for 9am CT. (It was buffering earlier.)  Still working on app but there's zero audio.  Unbelievable 

Guess I should have gone to church but I took a cut. 😇 

Got a response from customer service. There was some sort of issue so they're having to use a backup of the backup. Show will start in full at 12:30 ET instead of 10, and be hi cam only, but they ASSURED me I wouldn't miss any performances, we'll see.

• Thanks 1

I want to thank FLO Marching for their efforts. For the most part I have not had issues and I think the video and sound have been fantastic when you consider the challenges and all the bells and whistles drum corps have in the pit these days. Last, in particular, my video and audio was extremely good. 

I know you folks are going to get much criticism, but I thank you for doing this. Not an easy task, but what a great way to see these shows when you simply cannot travel to all of them. The quality has been pretty darn good. The variety of stadium, acoustics, connections for broadcast, location of pit and so much more can really have an effect on recording quality but I have been most pleased. Yes, the multi-cam video needs some work. Otherwise keep it up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, last night's stream was "good", but that has NOT been the case for MOST of the shows.  You list the challenges of streaming drum corps shows, BUT that is the service they are charging for.

Have you watched the BOA streams on Box 5 Media?  Same challenges, but much better results.

Edited by oldbandguy

Do we need to start a Director's thread for Flo? Include all the impact moments for ALL the shows.

We need to make sure we give some love to those Corps performing on Flo who may not make it to Semis. 

On 7/23/2022 at 1:25 AM, DCIat14 said:

We pay good money for this while ESPN has decided cornhole and are throwing are worth streaming.  Oy vey!!

Because they get advertising fees and drum corps doesn’t 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:12 AM, MikeZ said:

If you backed out of the stream and reloaded, the sound instantly came back. I missed about 15-30 seconds of audio. I have learned that a soon as any issue occurs (sync problem, lost audio, prolonged buffering) reloading the stream fixes the problem 90% of the time. Its not ideal, but most of the time it corrects the problem quickly and with little hassle.

Z

Yeah I’ve done it too. I’m just tired of having to do it 

6 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I want to thank FLO Marching for their efforts. For the most part I have not had issues and I think the video and sound have been fantastic when you consider the challenges and all the bells and whistles drum corps have in the pit these days. Last, in particular, my video and audio was extremely good. 

I know you folks are going to get much criticism, but I thank you for doing this. Not an easy task, but what a great way to see these shows when you simply cannot travel to all of them. The quality has been pretty darn good. The variety of stadium, acoustics, connections for broadcast, location of pit and so much more can really have an effect on recording quality but I have been most pleased. Yes, the multi-cam video needs some work. Otherwise keep it up. 

I thought the multi cam was much better last night, at least for a while. Relatively quick zooms and then cutting back to high. Though as the night progressed, the zoom guy started lingering longer than optimum again. Hoping for continued improvement. Other than the replays, I’ve had good results so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, jwillis35 said:

<respectfully snipped>

Having just watched an "alternatively-sourced" multicam view of Troopers' show from Annapolis, your bolded assessment above is apparently still "in process".  Definitely getting some mid-80s video "linger forever on tight shots even when there's nothing going on" vibes...

• Like 1

I'm just going to leave this here: 

Frankly, we are lucky enough to have any type of streaming at all. No, zip, zero, none, nothing, will ever compare to seeing a drum corps show live and honestly we need to stop expecting Flo to live up to that. 

Secondly, the marching arts is kind of a niche activity. It is not as big as baseball, football, basketball, etc etc etc. You can't expect FloSports to put tons of money into marching arts streaming when it's a niche market and they're only going to get so much money out of it. 

• Like 1

Last time i emailed suggestions, the response was that corps visual folks tell them what to focus on.  Do i really believe BD wants the multicam on the drumline the entire time the corps is dancing and then goes into that rotating front?   I doubt it.   Or when the multicam is on the drumline when the rifles are featured right in front of them???  Or when they capture the trombonist doing nothing while the flugelhorn is soloing?  

i get that i have to pay a lot of money for people that don’t really know what they are capturing, but don’t lie to me and tell me that the decisions for what they show are based on directions from the corps!