Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

32 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

The last time they really had a design misfire, IMO, was 2006. No one else can say that, not by a long shot.

I would say 2005 with the Yowza show was BDs last design misfire. 

2006 Godfather Part Blue was a cool show.

My thoughts on BD vs BAC after seeing both in person last night.

Boston may be the best drumcorps on planet Earth from minutes 8-10 of their show. They are firing on all cylinders at that point. Everything around that chunk of time ( minutes 0-8, and the ending) never reaches the heights of the "closer" for lack of a better term. Although they are spectacular at all times, the pacing feels a little strange for lots of the show. The brass (which are mind glowingly good) go large chunks without playing. Transitions from section to section are good, but not as smooth/seamless as BD.

These are all nitpicks, but when you are talking about the top 1-2 percent the little things absolutely matter. I thought BAC was clearly closer to Bluecoats than BD last night. Could that change in a week? Possibly. It would be awesome to see a new champion in year 50. Unfortunately, the kids in BAC are performing the snot out of what they have, but I do not think their show will allow them to catch Devils.

Ultimately, I was the big winner last night, as I got to see both shows up close an personal. Can't wait to do it again tonight.

Z

Edited by MikeZ
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chief Guns said:

I would say 2005 with the Yowza show was BDs last design misfire. 

2006 Godfather Part Blue was a cool show.

I can see that. I just didn't think the 2006 design was enough to challenge for the title. I should have said the last time they didn't produce a championship caliber design. It's really amazing what they have done. I keep thinking they are going to meet their maker like Cavies, Vanguard and Cadets have done (with the big drops) but who knows.

5 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. This is the "don't reinvent drum corps" aspects of their show that some may miss because at times we ( as a community ) can be critical of Blue Devils for what some people may refer to as clutter...usually with body movement and how they transition from scene to scene. But if you dig deeper you notice we get the big hits of sound, we get the ballad (Moon River), we get the great jazz riff or two (like near the end of Carnival of Venice), we get the up-tempo jazz, fusion, rock style music (Cowboy Bebop), and we get the great solos. BD does not avoid the standard language of drum corps they just integrate those things in a modern way visually. 

There is a lot more to the Blue Devils visual program than what most think. I hear the phrase "park and bark" or "not enough traditional marching" used in the pretense that somehow these things make their visual book easier. But this would be a poorly analyzed way to view BD and visual. 

Having said that I love Boston's show top to bottom. I would still love to see them challenge BD, and a Silver or Bronze medal for Boston would be amazing and well deserved. They are AWSOME in every sense. In my opinion what they may need in order to challenge Blue Devils is two things: 1) an extension to the scene where the trombones are doing the head-choppers (it's such a good song and the ending is fabulous but perhaps make the build to it even more intense, or a short extension at the end that really takes the audience over the edge), and 2) they need to grab the audience even more with the last big build before they do the silent ending. It would be great if they could have the audience on their feet before the last section. 

Some great observations. Especially in terms of BD visual program. It’s difficult to impossible with the new restrictions, but if any skeptics can find their way to a rehearsal and stand on the sideline during run throughs, I think they would have a different understanding of BD’s vis content. Once the show is complete and detailed, there is practically nothing that isn’t programmed, thought through or intentional. This is where you find the disconnect between what you see on a narrowly limited video feed, and what ends up on the recap. 

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Boston history may have just been made.

so - I was just on Flo, but was expecting a either a razor thin BD win OR a Boston win OR both Boston & Bloo just ahead of BD. I don't get the scoring. Only area that I personally "agree with" is visual - BD moves and "dances" so well, and Boston took guard. Music IMO is where the judges seem to be awarding clean and a lot of not playing on the move.  It's a head scratcher (to me). But really, GE seems to be used as some sort of judge's slush fund - what exactly ARE they rewarding here? (and yes, I know what the paper says) - I just don't see BD design and effect 0.75 up on Boston, and even further ahead of Bloo. 

• Thanks 1