Staff Merry-go-round

20 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Sounds like they are going after someone currently in WGI.  As mentioned by kdaddy, Mike Jackson (founder of and composer for Broken City, formerly SCV, Bloo, BK) seems to be the lead based on rumors.  John Mapes is the other name I’ve heard (Pulse Percussion, formerly Blue Stars, BDB).  Both highly regarded as arrangers and instructional leads with strong WGI connections which could help with recruiting.  They’ll have the connections to build a top notch staff.

I love mike Jackson’s writing, I hope it works out 

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I love mike Jackson’s writing, I hope it works out 

I hope so too . His writing at BK though from 2013 to 2019 never had BK finish higher than 6th . His last 2 years there at BK  , the finished 8th and 7th in Percussion . Not sure Jackson and Shah are an upgrade over Travis and others at Crown , but time will tell .

The teaching staff was not the problem at Crown.  Hannum's charts are just not what DCI judges are looking for these days.  My guess is that the incoming percussion writer(s) want to bring "their team" with them.  Like it or not that sometimes means the previous team is let go.  Sucks because not only were Travis and his team very good teachers,  they are also great guys who were well liked by everyone (staff and members alike).   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i agree. not sure his design vibe fits Crowns approach, but who knows?

It certainly doesn’t. Crown’s design is very much in your face with an obnoxious amount of cheese while Mike’s compositions are very subtle and create a soundscape. Hannum’s battery arrangements matched the overall design very well, loud, loud and louder.  Hopefully bringing Mike Jackson on is a sign that they will tone things down in general 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

It certainly doesn’t. Crown’s design is very much in your face with an obnoxious amount of cheese while Mike’s compositions are very subtle and create a soundscape. Hannum’s battery arrangements matched the overall design very well, loud, loud and louder.  Hopefully bringing Mike Jackson on is a sign that they will tone things down in general 

Maybe its just the musician in me talking but I like a lot of musical contrast in a show. But that will need to involve the horn line picking and choosing moments too. Sometimes Crown reminds me of the drum corps version of Dream Theater. I had high hopes for Crown's show this past season but then they didn't really evolve and it got stagnant by midsummer. I would love for them to take me on a musical journey of highs and lows and different musical styles. If that is the route they choose to go, they'd better be committed to making sure the show design process fits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

. Hannum’s battery arrangements matched the overall design very well, loud, loud and louder. 

Huh?

Wow I have never seen a worse characterization of Thom Hannum's writing.  His books are extremely musical, very sensitive to the rest of the ensemble and are full of large changes in dynamics.   In fact it could almost be called deferential to the full ensemble.   Playing "loud, loud and louder"?   Utterly.  Completely. Wrong.  Have you ever actually listened to anything he's written?  

(There are definitely problems with Hannum's writing in today's DCI / WGI environment but playing at FFF for an entire show is not it) 

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, karuna said:

The teaching staff was not the problem at Crown.  Hannum's charts are just not what DCI judges are looking for these days.  My guess is that the incoming percussion writer(s) want to bring "their team" with them.  Like it or not that sometimes means the previous team is let go.  Sucks because not only were Travis and his team very good teachers,  they are also great guys who were well liked by everyone (staff and members alike).   

this in many ways

• Like 2

I don't know anything about corps personnel changes, but one should consider the team that put together the King of Great Britain's ascension to the throne, for GE visual....What a production!...peace

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

oh, that's just something, Hannum???? He's just isn't the flavor du jour - he's a brilliant and EXTREMELY skilled musical arranger

Edited by George Dixon

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

I don't know anything about corps personnel changes, but one should consider the team that put together the King of Great Britain's ascension to the throne, for GE visual....What a production!...peace

they've been refining it for a millennium and this particular one has been under planning since 1965 - it's taken very seriously.

• Like 3