4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The Illinois shows are 😬.  I’d consider going up for the Mason show if Jim was game.  I know people make fun of Allegiant but it was a very positive experience for us.  I’d fly into the greater Cincinnati airport from Punta Gorda anytime. 

I am pretty sure Hope and I will be going to Mason. It’s the best early show that is a manageable distance from us by a country mile (pun intended). But that’s it until Finals week. We used to go to several shows, but this is what the tour offers us now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I get it.

The peak of my drum corps fan travels in the late 80's, within 2 years I went to shows in:

Goshen, IN

Mishawaka, IN

Ft Wayne, IN

Bloomington, IN

Marion, OH

Dayton, OH

I passed on Michigan City, IN, Portland, IN, Toledo, OH, etc.

For me at the time, all of the above ranged in drive-time from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Day trips. 

I went to a few shows further out in Illinois and then KC finals too on overnights.

I'm glad to have experienced it before it was gone.

2023 will be finals week only. 

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There must be some number or shows that are the minimum for the DCI tour to exist.  What is the minimum number needed to attract members?  

Evidently, it is zero.  DCI has decided that the Seattle Cascades do not need any shows within 750 miles of home.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Evidently, it is zero.  DCI has decided that the Seattle Cascades do not need any shows within 750 miles of home.

From what I understand only 2 corps signed up for the 3 Pac NW shows so it was agreed to not scheduled those shows. (No one from Ca. or out west wanted to do that trip. 

3 hours ago, fsthnds said:

From what I understand only 2 corps signed up for the 3 Pac NW shows so it was agreed to not scheduled those shows. (No one from Ca. or out west wanted to do that trip. 

Might be hard to turn a profit, even if you win all three.  Plus, the NW might not be a strong talent area for the top corps.

13 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Inflation costs and costs due to implementation of safety standards and higher expectations of tour life (I'm not posting this as a debate as to whether the safety standards are needed or not needed, it is simple fact it costs money), running a corps on tour costs more than it ever used to. Those are the simple facts. As I stated earlier, I am glad to see more logical touring schedules for corps without a lot of backtracking. This clearly would cut down on shows in general. 

A shorter touring schedule allows for more shows to have more corps. A heftier lineup will lead to more ticket sales. I believe DCI is banking on fans traveling a little bit further and attending shows than they used to. And honestly, I think it will work. 

The only way to get back to a tour we are used to is to ensure the current shows sell out and that would allow DCI to slowly add more shows in the future. At least that would be the smart approach. 

The other thing I can say is donate, donate, donate to corps. I hate to say it, but it's about the money. Trust me if I could've won that $2 billion lottery, I would've been shelling out big time to corps. I love this activity more than I can speak about. I'll play the game and support whatever touring model comes out so long as my attendance helps ensure it continues. And I think that is the bigger picture here. We want this activity around, we have to keep attending. 

weeknight shows with 2 hours or more driving is going to be an issue for fans. it's pretty much caused me to be Allentown only for over a decade now. More fans doesn't increase the payout the performing corps get per show unless it's DCI run. 

Edited by Jeff Ream

18 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am pretty sure Hope and I will be going to Mason. It’s the best early show that is a manageable distance from us by a country mile (pun intended). But that’s it until Finals week. We used to go to several shows, but this is what the tour offers us now. 

I noticed it’s July 4th week.  That could actually work for us.  It’s hot in Cincinnati  but it’s inferno here so going up north in summer is always a good idea. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

No corps want to travel that long road up to Seattle, or down to Orlando. Don't blame them a bit. With soaring costs, the future of touring has to be efficient and sensible.

Usually BD and SCV split every other year to do a PNW tour. Last year only the BK and Troopers along with the local open class corps competed. It's sad but one has to make choices because of high expenses. Santa Clara is not doing a S. Cal early tour waiting a week until Fresno and Stanford show as their 1st and 2nd.