The Cadets 2023

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Only around for the middle one… 

stupidity happened after all 3. granted i only heard about after 72, cause i was 3

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Going back to pre-DCI, when St Lucy's folded after the 69 season some of them went to the BS Golden Knights, including their amazing soloist Manny Salort (listen to his opening solo in the 69 opener El Conquistador). That helped BS have a great 1970 season, their last top season. I'm not sure if Manny made it to the season (due to personal issues, if I recall), but he was just one of the St Lucy's members who moved over. 

Happened all the time. The Little Falls Cadets folded after the 68 season, and their girl guard moved en masse to Garfield for the 69 season to become the first females in the Cadets. 

I marched 3 corps myself from 64-72, and most of the Cadets in my era had come from somewhere else outside of Garfield. It was pretty common back then. One reason the Garfield Plebes broke away from the Cadets and formed the Epochs was because relatively few of them made it to the big corps, as most members came from small corps all over NJ and NY.

Didn't Manny march with the Skyliners also?  

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

Going back to pre-DCI, when St Lucy's folded after the 69 season some of them went to the BS Golden Knights, including their amazing soloist Manny Salort (listen to his opening solo in the 69 opener El Conquistador). That helped BS have a great 1970 season, their last top season. I'm not sure if Manny made it to the season (due to personal issues, if I recall), but he was just one of the St Lucy's members who moved over. 

Happened all the time. The Little Falls Cadets folded after the 68 season, and their girl guard moved en masse to Garfield for the 69 season to become the first females in the Cadets. 

I marched 3 corps myself from 64-72, and most of the Cadets in my era had come from somewhere else outside of Garfield. It was pretty common back then. One reason the Garfield Plebes broke away from the Cadets and formed the Epochs was because relatively few of them made it to the big corps, as most members came from small corps all over NJ and NY.

We have a thousand this corps folded and we got their members stories from the old days. Just like the we have 150 people on the roster stories.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

In your neighborhood, "BITD" would be 1959 or earlier.

In 1959, the Penn-Jersey circuit was cleaved in half permanently over a protested member transfer.  Someone from St. Rocco's of Newark transferred to Sac without a release.  The circuit ruled that he could, as long as he waited until a certain date to march in a contest.  But then St. Rocco's granted a release after all, so on that basis Sac marched him a few days before the previously agreed-upon date... and all hell broke loose.  Pretty soon, not only was Sac thrown out of the circuit, but 5 or 6 other corps who subsequently participated in an event with Sac were out of the circuit too.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 3:05 PM, 2000Cadet said:

What difference does timing make? If they HADN'T reached out to them, then someone would have made a big freaking deal about THAT. Would you have wanted them to wait until April to reach out? May? June?  Give me a break dude. 

wow people here a cranky - for the timing I FELT the tone was poor. A little too opportunistic, a little too quick. JMO.  It's jusy MY OPINION. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:43 PM, Jeff Ream said:

corps always tried to get people to come to them from other corps. it's been happening for as long as people have complained about change

I agree. Members are free to transfer from corps to corps each year.

The issue I have is the continuous poorly timed announcements by Cadets management (i.e. Brian Murphy's announcement 15 minutes after the SCV going inactive post) and not their recruiting pitch to SCV members. Any good PR person would have told the Cadets to wait a few hours/day before making their Director announcement. Also all their press releases that come out on a Friday or Saturday. night after 11 pm EST when very few people will even see them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

In your neighborhood, "BITD" would be 1959 or earlier.

In 1959, the Penn-Jersey circuit was cleaved in half permanently over a protested member transfer.  Someone from St. Rocco's of Newark transferred to Sac without a release.  The circuit ruled that he could, as long as he waited until a certain date to march in a contest.  But then St. Rocco's granted a release after all, so on that basis Sac marched him a few days before the previously agreed-upon date... and all hell broke loose.  Pretty soon, not only was Sac thrown out of the circuit, but 5 or 6 other corps who subsequently participated in an event with Sac were out of the circuit too.

I know circuits had various release processes back then, some stricter than others. That does not surprise me at all. 

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe due to the distinction between a corps folding, and merely taking a year off.

so those kids may want to march this year. what's the issue?

my corps competed in 97. didn't in 98 due to a myriad of reasons. many people went elsewhere. Corps came back in 99, and some came back. others didnt march anywhere. some stayed where they were once they saw the clown show in charge.

• Like 1