The Cadets 2023

7 hours ago, craiga said:

So, as a life long Boston supporter, I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I offer a couple observations as an outsider.

First,  you guys are giving both the SCV alums and the Madison alums a run for the money in terms of dissent.  Whether you like BAC or not, we have never believed in doing the laundry in public.

Second, for those who have mentioned hearing nothing from the new Cadets director Brian Murphy...you won't.  He is not some kind of ego who will post either here or on a blog and make everything about himself.   I have known the man for 25 years.  He is a Cadet alum, very accomplished in the activity as a designer and judge, and he will return the Cadets to greatness given time. I don't have the impression that he is involved with the financial piece, but if the Cadets BOD find him enough money, I predict a return to greatness.

One final point....as supporters of two 80+ year old drum corps, I am sure that we can agree that our respective corps need to do whatever it takes to survive in the 21st century.

Think of how amazing it would be for these two corps to be able to celebrate their 100th anniversaries in another 15 years or so!

I COMPLETELY agree and share your sentiments exactly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Great then people shouldn't be clutching their pearls over Cadets. Right?

My guess, few people are really all that bothered by the Cadets reaching to SCV marchers as soon as they heard that the SCV Mgt there abruptly and unexpectedly stopped the already in progress 2023 SCV audition process, and these marchers were left in the lurch. So yes, I dont have any concerns with what the Cadets did here at all.  I believe most people dont either, including SCV Mgt themselves, as reportedly they immediately sent out emails to the TOP 6 Corps  to see if they might have spots still open for them.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Lance said:

not even a little bit.  if self-appointed morality officers of dcp want to invent a problem with "optics" about this, let them knock themselves out.

i think decent people care about whether or not marching members who got screwed over by scv after already committing a bunch of time and money (talk about "timing" and "optics") were offended by the cadets' gesture.  anybody else's input is irrelevant.  

for the record, i pointed it out based on how i saw many people react to it. to me it was whatever. now optically, given the Cadets drama this fall with the horrific sacking of a legend and then the dismissal/resignation of the latest director, well yeah it didn't look good. but it is what it is.

just like 6 years ago everyone knew Cadets were losing a lot of staff to Boston the week before finals. it's how the world works. doesn't mean it looks good, it's just how it works. 2 years ago i was heavily recruited to go to another company before the recruiter had even resigned. I decided not to go, and it turned out better for me than i could have imagined.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This is an area where culture has changed over time.  BITD, when drum corps was modeled after the military, corps loyalty was as fervent as national loyalty.  Today, it is like picking teams at recess.  Each season, like each school day, you pick teams all over again.

corps always tried to get people to come to them from other corps. it's been happening for as long as people have complained about change

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Know of a Senior corps that went inactive just before start of the season. Couple of them were invited to march with a competitor that same season.

Different from this as people from both corps knew each other personally but just sounds bit familiar 

after 72, 83 or 97?

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

corps always tried to get people to come to them from other corps. it's been happening for as long as people have complained about change

I am not disputing that.  Only pointing out that today, when everyone is a free agent every September, other corps offering spots to refugees is not the controversy it might have been BITD.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

after 72, 83 or 97?

Only around for the middle one… 

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I am not disputing that.  Only pointing out that today, when everyone is a free agent every September, other corps offering spots to refugees is not the controversy it might have been BITD.

Going back to pre-DCI, when St Lucy's folded after the 69 season some of them went to the BS Golden Knights, including their amazing soloist Manny Salort (listen to his opening solo in the 69 opener El Conquistador). That helped BS have a great 1970 season, their last top season. I'm not sure if Manny made it to the season (due to personal issues, if I recall), but he was just one of the St Lucy's members who moved over. 

Happened all the time. The Little Falls Cadets folded after the 68 season, and their girl guard moved en masse to Garfield for the 69 season to become the first females in the Cadets. 

I marched 3 corps myself from 64-72, and most of the Cadets in my era had come from somewhere else outside of Garfield. It was pretty common back then. One reason the Garfield Plebes broke away from the Cadets and formed the Epochs was because relatively few of them made it to the big corps, as most members came from small corps all over NJ and NY.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Going back to pre-DCI, when St Lucy's folded after the 69 season some of them went to the BS Golden Knights, including their amazing soloist Manny Salort (listen to his opening solo in the 69 opener El Conquistador). That helped BS have a great 1970 season, their last top season. I'm not sure if Manny made it to the season (due to personal issues, if I recall), but he was just one of the St Lucy's members who moved over. 

Happened all the time. The Little Falls Cadets folded after the 68 season, and their girl guard moved en masse to Garfield for the 69 season to become the first females in the Cadets. 

I marched 3 corps myself from 64-72, and most of the Cadets in my era had come from somewhere else outside of Garfield. It was pretty common back then. One reason the Garfield Plebes broke away from the Cadets and formed the Epochs was because relatively few of them made it to the big corps, as most members came from small corps all over NJ and NY.

The variation that happed to us was XX has folded; there is a bus load  of 30 members heading here.  Turned out to be two mellophones, one drummer & one guard (she lasted two rehearsals).  

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

possible, but again, if the corps wasn't coming out...why be upset?