Pulling the plug

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not, but it's cool either way.      

Far from being sarcastic.  Very impressed with what they have been doing on and off the field since the end of 17.  

Edited by TOC

For me this activity is about the people. As long as my people are in these circles, I am not pulling the plug. And considering that "my people" includes some folks ranging from pre-DCI performers all the way through incoming current marching members, I don't see that changing. 

• Like 5

Many people who post on this site are seniors, who would be dropping out of Indy soon anyway. I too am a senior, but have always adapted to the new trends in show designs, and in general, like them. I'll continue going to finals as long as possible. Younger fans are taking our places every year, and that's a good thing. 

• Like 5

I have not been to finals since 2008. That was when finals was in Bloomington while the "oil can" was still under construction. Phantom winning that year still goes down as the most exciting finals for me in all the years I attended and prior.  I haven't been all that impressed with Indy as a vacation destination though.  Years prior when the finals moved around to different places in the country, I would go for a vacation.

That said, I try to attend at least 3 or 4 shows in-person every year. I've had flomarching from their beginning as well. When I lived in the Northeast, I would usually attend Allentown, perhaps a Boston show or two depending on the year, and a Cadet show in New Jersey or Philly area...Now that I live in the south, I go to Atlanta regional (and/or other small local), MTSU, and occasionally Crown's show.

To answer the OP's question. I don't think I will ever "pull the plug".  I get way too much enjoyment from drumcorps to stop attending even with all the changes that occurred since my days of marching corps. I think though, in order for me to make the trip to finals itself again, my beloved corps BAC would need to be in real contention for a DCI title. I'd like to feel that in-person and definitely would make the trip to Indy to experience that.

• Like 4

Every pursuit has its bad moments and less-likable aspects, but I still can't think of a replacement for the awe-inspiring sight and sound of drum corps, so continue to count me in.

Travel and budget wise from Oregon, I can only attend every 3rd or so championship, and I'm struggling to piece together a 1,500mi CA roadtrip now that OR and WA have been dropped. Aside from The Academy (AZ) and Blue Knights (CO) attending (thank you!), the 2023 CA shows will only feature CA corps.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 2:17 PM, Jeff Ream said:

BD is all 3 corps, the performance ensemble ms, Diablo winds and bingo. That’s not all just the dci champs 

That's a good point that we don't always remember.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ll try to watch online again to double check. But personally you can have the most talented people in the world performing but that doesn’t mean it will be entertaining to me. 
And full corps with stuff, followed by full corps with stuff, followed by… gets 🥱 to me. We are close to cookie cutter stage imo

Oh I don’t know.  The differences in the top 6 alone was as far away from cookie cutter as you could be.  Was there anyone remotely like Bluecoats?  Boston? BD? All very different and all very entertaining.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Oh I don’t know.  The differences in the top 6 alone was as far away from cookie cutter as you could be.  Was there anyone remotely like Bluecoats?  Boston? BD? All very different and all very entertaining.

I’ll see what I think in 2023. Thing is my favorite part of DCA is seeing the smaller Class A corps. Love to play “ok not a full corps and some sections are unbalanced, let’s see what they do with it”. 😀

DCI abandoning the tour premiere in Detroit and now with SCV gone…less than excited about this coming season.