Who makes top 12?

6 hours ago, Algernon said:

don't assume the returning 11 all finish in the top 12...

Colts recruiting efforts for 2023 are not good. 5 snares? Ouch

Troopers haven't strung together 2 successful seasons in a row in a long time

Crossmen and Blue Knights are both poised for a return. 

Ouch about Colts, but Troopers had record turn out and posted a camp video. Let's hype them a little based on the fact that they actually released something and it seems pretty great. That being said, I think that Blue Knights are poised for a jump, and maybe even Pacific Crest!

31 minutes ago, Lance said:

I want to see Pacific Crest make top 12.  

It would be nice to see the electric vibe of a first time Finalist again.  The juice for Academy's Corpse Bride show was off the hook!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I say get the players that are most qualified for the line and then teach them how to be better. 

that's not how this works anymore.  How many times do you see ads for "WE NEED A STAR (insert skillset)".  Snare, Rifle, Dancer, Lead Trumpet...  pick your poison.   The higher talent level you have, the less time teaching the basics you need to do, and the more time you spend teaching the show. 

1 minute ago, C.Holland said:

that's not how this works anymore.  How many times do you see ads for "WE NEED A STAR (insert skillset)".  Snare, Rifle, Dancer, Lead Trumpet...  pick your poison.   The higher talent level you have, the less time teaching the basics you need to do, and the more time you spend teaching the show. 

This isn't new either.  North Star wrote shows for Jerry Noonan.  Spirit had sop parts from 1978-1985 that weren't "taught", they just had Hunter Moss.  The last time I really saw a mass teaching experience was BD in '14 when the entire trumpet line had to learn to triple tongue.

Last year I heard no buzz coming from Colts in the Preseason and they came out strong. Their percussion was beating lots of higher ranked corps early on.  the Colts also have a very solid foundation for the corps with a good business plan. From what i have seen they take care of the kids. Sometimes that extra  little bit of support pushes the kids to go above and beyond.  Troopers had a great rush last year and they rode a wave into finals.  I just am not sure how good the business plan behind the troopers is right now and if things fall apart in logistics it effects the performance of the corps. I would like to see Academy back again. Music City could surprise some folks too. I think Madison has gotten their act together on the business side I just haven't seen anything innovative from them recently to give them that spark to make everyone take notice..    

3 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Music City could surprise some folks too. 

You make a good point about Music City. In 2021 my flight home from Indy got a bit messed up which meant I spent more time than I expected at the airport. I did get to talk to lots of folks including a snare drummer from Music City and a percussion staffer. They spoke of 2022 as a year they were planning on solidifying what they accomplished in 2021 with 2023 as the year they would surge. They made significant progress in 2022. It could happen in 2023.

• Like 2