Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Love that Cavies took 1st in percussion. Hats off to the percussion judge for calling it as it is and not as expected. 

thats a fun recap

20 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Find it interesting with all the BD dominance talks and talks of record breaking that the spreads beneath them are about a half a point closer than they were last year at this time and they lost a lot more subcaptions.  9 this year versus 4 last year.  

Are they still dominant and probably gonna go undefeated?  Absolutely.  Consistently 1-3 in all captions is gonna do that when everyone below them in the rest of the top 4 has subs as low as 5th - 8th.  But maybe a few more cracks this year than last year.  They’re amazing at what they do as always.  BAC got REALLY close last year and is closing in again like they did Atlanta week 2022.  I’m feeling a little competitive tension at the top.  

I think it’s just amazing at just how good these top corps are. I, subjectively, think BD is definitely better than last year. And yet, Boston, Bluecoats and Crown are still giving them a run. Percussion, half of DCI seems to be trying to win the Sanford this year. Just crazy talent all over and yet, guess who is still leading the pack? BD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

You're probably thinking 83-84. Bridgemen were top 6 in 81 and 7th or 8th in 82.

8th. Bayone didn't win in 83 placing 11th overall and 2nd i believe. Phantom was 6th in 2020

Just rewatched Scouts 75 and Spirit 80. What a record scratch after tonight. Before I get labeled a dinosaur (maybe I am)… 

I don’t pine for G bugles
I don’t care what MM’s wear
i don’t hate pits
Even amplification has good purposes in the activity. 

But I am a tad nostalgic for the days when music was a 45 point caption. Above all other captions. And music ruled the roost. 

I’m a little saddened that DRUM and BUGLE corps has evolved into a hyper-amplified visually driven circus. 

That has nothing to do with number of valves, bore of the bugle, uniforms, etc. 

Not expecting an answer to the rhetorical “how did we get here”? Just saddened that it’s clear we’ll never see it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GraysonHarris said:

The line was incredible. Taught by Tom Float AND Paul Rennick. He was teaching at Sky Ryders early in the 94 season and they folded, so he took several of his students (all UNT kids) and went to VK. They had 7 tenors in that line.  There are YouTube videos of that line out there. 

I knew about Rennick at VK just didn't know about Float

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

But I am a tad nostalgic for the days when music was a 45 point caption. Above all other captions. And music ruled the roost. 

In this case The Cadets would like their 2015 Trophy. 🙂 I kid of course. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Hoping Dan, as one of his last achievements for DCI before he officially retires this year, to please fix DCI.org. 

look he stopped the G7....he's only capable of so many miracles

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Find it interesting with all the BD dominance talks and talks of record breaking that the spreads beneath them are about a half a point closer than they were last year at this time and they lost a lot more subcaptions.  9 this year versus 4 last year.  

Are they still dominant and probably gonna go undefeated?  Absolutely.  Consistently 1-3 in all captions is gonna do that when everyone below them in the rest of the top 4 has subs as low as 5th - 8th.  But maybe a few more cracks this year than last year.  They’re amazing at what they do as always.  BAC got REALLY close last year and is closing in again like they did Atlanta week 2022.  I’m feeling a little competitive tension at the top.  

Crusaders have a chance to make it interesting as far as running up on BD. Everyone else is out of luck in that regard. Bluecoats success in the last few years is in no small part due to their percussion scores, and that's lagging quite a bit this year. Ditto  Crown with their brass numbers, and the fact their drumline just ain't it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAYGO said:

And Cadets .300 behind despite performing almost 45 minutes earlier.  The battle for 5th is for real...

performance slot means a lot less....judges can go back and adjust numbers if need be

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2