Roughin' It at Rutgers

That recap hurt my head. These shows MUST be judged differently than the regular season shows.

Watch how much different the scores are tonight and tomorrow night than the TOC show....

Yeah they are. IMO, Concord is better than the Cadets in every single area this year. Brass, Percussion, Guard, Visual, Effect, all of it.

I'll go even further out on the limb: the Bluecoats are better than the Cadets this year, too. Cadets' show design isn't as good as either Blue corps. The Blue Devils are already outperforming The Cadets, and by Finals the corps from Canton might be, too.

People talk about peaking early, I'd say it's not BD that's peaked already, but The Cadets.

More entertaining doesn't equate to technically better show.

I refuse to pay attention to scores from TOC shows now.

Also, unless BD did some crazy voodoo magic to that muddy sounding fanfare at the beginning, I'm not understanding this brass score.

The scores from TOC shows compared to regular shows have been relatively different. Just watch what happens tonight and tomorrow night.

Yeah they are. IMO, Concord is better than the Cadets in every single area this year. Brass, Percussion, Guard, Visual, Effect, all of it.

I'll go even further out on the limb: the Bluecoats are better than the Cadets this year, too. Cadets' show design isn't as good as either Blue corps. The Blue Devils are already outperforming The Cadets, and by Finals the corps from Canton might be, too.

People talk about peaking early, I'd say it's not BD that's peaked already, but The Cadets.

Coats can still pass The Cadets (we keep waiting on that, right? all season, right?), but right now...show me this "The Cadets peaked already" thing... Sure, anybody looks like they've peaked against this BD corps, but it's been an accordion all year between Cadets and Coats -- sometimes they're within a point (including right now), sometimes they're 1-2 points apart.

Well, what I don't want is for the first show of the season to determine placement in Indy. I like the unpredictable and changing scores.

everyone loves competition BUT the question would be is, do we want that to happen if not deserved? I hear many say wouldnt it be nice to see some others at the top ( like last year ) SURE! but it's not the fault of say BD or Cadets for being as good as they are.

Unpredictable is just fine as long as its in fact what it actually is.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

everyone loves competition BUT the question would be is, do we want that to happen if not deserved? I hear many say wouldnt it be nice to see some others at the top ( like last year ) SURE! but it's not the fault of say BD or Cadets for being as good as they are.

Unpredictable is just fine as long as its in fact what it actually is.

Who is the judge of what's deserved?

It is all subjective. You can talk yourself in a circle till your head explodes. I gave up ( as best I can) stressing about scoring

Edited by HockeyDad

So, the most important person is the person who selects the judges panel for 8/9. That's the general conclusion I reach from reading through this thread.

traffic logistics were getting pounded on Facebook. it seems maybe things werent planned well

There are only so many ways to get into the campus, and there was a highly-atended soccer game or something big going on at the soccer stadium immediately adjacent to the football stadium.

I parked a mile away (I think literally a mile) on the campus and walked to the stadium. No problems getting in or out for me. :smile:

There are only so many ways to get into the campus, and there was a highly-atended soccer game or something big going on at the soccer stadium immediately adjacent to the football stadium.

I parked a mile away (I think literally a mile) on the campus and walked to the stadium. No problems getting in or out for me. :smile:

We turned off of River Road and headed around through the Busch Campus area, figuring that it might be easier to approach the stadium from the behind, so to speak. After mistakenly pulling into the soccer stadium parking lot, we made a right and followed the road around toward the stadium. It took a while because the traffic was pretty congested due to the multiple events, but we puled into the parking lot/field and were directed to an area pretty close to the back side of the stadium. Just a short walk, maybe a couple of hundred yards, to the gate. This was around 6:30 - 6:45 or so.

Real easy getting out too, we turned right out of the lot and found ourselves on Route 18 (a big local highway, kind of like Route 22, Route 46 or Route 17 up north, with connections to the Turnpike and Route 1) in a matter of minutes. Overall not as bad as I expected it to be.

Who is the judge of what's deserved?

It is all subjective. You can talk yourself in a circle till your head explodes. I gave up ( as best I can) stressing about scoring

well , it depends what you want to look at. We are a judged activity, not a popular fan favorite choice, not the people choice awards. We can like what we want but thats as far as it goes So I guess to answer your question IF one looks at numbers, placements etc etc then although subjective the judge of what is deserved would be the people judging ( officially judging ) not the judgement of public opinion. we may not like it but it is what our activity is , has been and could be always will be.

Coats can still pass The Cadets (we keep waiting on that, right? all season, right?), but right now...show me this "The Cadets peaked already" thing... Sure, anybody looks like they've peaked against this BD corps, but it's been an accordion all year between Cadets and Coats -- sometimes they're within a point (including right now), sometimes they're 1-2 points apart.

Hmmm, I think Bluecoats have settled in on their changes which are very effective and Cadets need another day or two to sharpen all the changes from this week which were very beneficial IMO. Score wise, Cadets have more content and perform very well so I'm not as baffled at Cadets a few tenths over Bluecoats as I am BD 2/3 pointing Cadets/Bluecoats. Yes they're amazing but so are these other 2.

Edited by theCHEZman

We turned off of River Road and headed around through the Busch Campus area, figuring that it might be easier to approach the stadium from the behind, so to speak. After mistakenly pulling into the soccer stadium parking lot, we made a right and followed the road around toward the stadium. It took a while because the traffic was pretty congested due to the multiple events, but we puled into the parking lot/field and were directed to an area pretty close to the back side of the stadium. Just a short walk, maybe a couple of hundred yards, to the gate. This was around 6:30 - 6:45 or so.

Real easy getting out too, we turned right out of the lot and found ourselves on Route 18 (a big local highway, kind of like Route 22, Route 46 or Route 17 up north, with connections to the Turnpike and Route 1) in a matter of minutes. Overall not as bad as I expected it to be.

I first got in the Rt 18 exit lane at Campus Rd with the million other people, but I saw it going nowhere, so I popped back on 18 to the Busch exit about a mile down the road. No line at all. Drove back south through the Busch campus until I could see the stadium lights, past the Busch Campus Center. Saw a couple of campus apartments and a nearly empty lot across the street from one, so I pulled, parked and walked the rest of the way, passing the soccer stadium by the traffic circle. I was on Bartholomew. Exited back the same way with no lines at all. VERY easy, with about a 20-minute fast walk to the stadium.