2018 Tour Premiere

8 hours ago, Lance said:

i'm digging the bluecoats show

it's like a best of 90s BD show

love bird and bela

and they're wearing a slightly less glitzy version of the guard costumes from gangster chronicle / 96

It’s funny you say that because when I went to a ST ensemble- I thot this show had a total BD vibe with a Bloo twist. I thought some are going to dig this and others are going to hate it straight out of the gate.

“I just hope they can stay warm before they run out of witches to keep that fire going.

best quote of the day! I was on the subway and almost spit out my dunks ice coffee laughing when I read it! 

• Haha 1

Saw some of Crown.

Now, they have been improving for a while and have become quite successful as of late... But it certainly seems that the philosophy to 'improve by featuring front and center' is at work on that drum line.

Good for them!  The batterie is featured like a hood ornament on a finely tuned European motor vehicle.

We all remember when the Crown battery was sort of the wacky uncle that invites himself to every family event.  Now they are the host of the party.  Thunderously enjoyable.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

“I just hope they can stay warm before they run out of witches to keep that fire going.

best quote of the day! I was on the subway and almost spit out my dunks ice coffee laughing when I read it! 

That's exactly the reaction I was going for.  :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Caught a video of Bloo...  Will have to search around for Crown and Cavies when I get a chance.

Initial thoughts:

Someone mentioned that Bloo has a somewhat low or lower ceiling.  I don't know about lower without comparison, but it certainly isn't low.  They are fairly polished right now, but there is enormous room for expansion there.  More than they had in the last 3 years... they just have to use it.  The show is quite obviously incomplete, which is unlike them... maybe it's a strategy?

Secondly, the 90's called and they want their music back... I LOVE it!  Even with all the pretentious, aggressive hits, it sounds like some old school drumcorps jazz shows.

Speaking of which... Who are the... Blue Devils?  Oh! They play jazz too!?  That's cute... Bless their dear hearts.

I like the uniforms much better than last year.

Lastly, they seem to have their closer in the opening and the opener at the close.  They could stand to use a typical integrated reprise at the end to close the deal.

Lookin' good.  They are definitely in a different strategy with their preparation and completeness. But they seem to be intentional about it and in control... not outside of the curve.  We'll see if it pays off.

:bluedevil:

• Like 3

I thought Blue Stars should have been over Phantom.  I like Bluecoats' Jazz Club vibe and the soloist is great, but I feel bad for their guard.  They literally have nothing to do during much of the show...Rifles? Sabres? Flags?  I thought Crown should have been over them. I like the BEAST theme.  I am a homer, but I thought Boston's show was great and they looked well prepared with a package that is higher level than last year.  Not sure about Cavies being over them...saw a lot of visual dirt out there and the design to me doesn't seem as coherent a package as BAC.

My opinion on the shows.

Blue Stars: I like the concept, fairly well executed, curious to see where they end up.

Phantom : I really like this show. Still some dirt, but I feel good about where they'll end up. Claire Wilcox is really good. Thought the percussion was a little better than score indicated, imo

Boston : I didn't love the treatment of Salvation is Created, but apart from that I liked the show. Liked the visual risks they were taking compared to PR and Blue Stars.

Cavaliers : not quite sure what to think of this show. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I loved the bone feature. 

Bluecoats : I don't get it... what're the chairs for? Why is everybody wearing golf shirts? Well executed, but I think this show will be one that a lot of people hate.

Crown: A little underwhelming, expecting that to improve however. Props to battery for winning. Needs a bit more time, and it'll be really good.