5. Madison

6. Phantom

7. Blue Coats

8. Boston

9. Cavies

10. Blue Knights

11. Spirit

12. Troopers

I would love to see that placement except I think Blue Stars would take the place of Troopers (maybe)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But first, two explanations:

(I) For Blue Devils, the seven years from 2007 through 2013 represent their longest run ever placing at first or second. (They had six such years from 1979 to 1984.) So they are overdue for a (small) slip. Accordingly I'll put them in third--and I'll probably love their show. I just re-watched their previous third-place show, from 2006, and man, was that ever a good one.

(II) 2013 marks eleven years without a tie in (World Class) Finals, since Boston Crusaders and Phantom Regiment tied for fifth in 2002. This is the longest such period since DCI was founded, I believe; the previous stretch seems to have been the nine tieless years between 1977, when Freelancers and Seneca Optimists tied for eighth, and 1987, when Star of Indiana and Velvet Knights tied for seventh. (I think there have been ten Finals ties in DCI's history.) Accordingly I'll put a tie in third, a position which has never had one before. (I haven't checked the history of Prelims or Semis ties for final position [e.g., for 13th place or lower in Semis] or ties in Open Class. There would have been a World Class Semifinals tie last year between Academy and Vanguard Cadets, but the latter was penalized half a point for practicing in the wrong place.)

That's right: I say one of those streaks ends this year--and to cover my bases, I'm predicting both, and in the same place.

1. Carolina Crown

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Blue Devils (tie)

3. Bluecoats (tie)

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Madison Scouts

8. Phantom Regiment

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Troopers

11. Blue Stars

12. Blue Knights

13. Spirit of Atlanta

14. Crossmen

15. Oregon Crusaders

16. Mandarins

17. Colts

18. Academy

19. Pacific Crest

20. Cascades [21st]

21. Jersey Surf [23rd]

22. Pioneer [26th]

1. Genesis [20th]

2. Blue Devils B [22nd]

3. Music City [24th]

4. Vanguard Cadets [25th]

5. Spartans [27th]

6. Legends [29th]

7. Gold [28th]

8. 7th Regiment [30th]

9. Raiders [31st]

10. Colt Cadets [32nd]

11. Thunder [33rd]

12. Stentors [34th]

13. Coastal Surge [35th]

14. Racine Scouts [36th]

15. Blue Saints [37th]

(16.) Columbians

(17.) Impulse

(18.) Incognito

(19.) Eruption

(20.) City Sound

(21.) Guardians

(22.) Golden Empire

(23.) Watchmen

(24.) Blue Devils C

(25.) Spirit of Newark

Numbers in square brackets represent positions when World Class and Open Class are combined. The final ten Open Class corps listed with ranks in parentheses aren't expected to appear at O.C. championships, so they're ordered by predicted last score, adjusted by date (as on hostrauser's regular weekly summaries, presuming he does that again)--if they even all appear in Open Class competition at all: for the new groups, it depends on audition turnout and DCI approval, and some may be appearing only in exhibition, as Coastal Surge did last year. I hope I didn't forget anyone, or, contrarily, include a corps who's actually intending to appear in SoundSport rather than Open Class. Finally, based on a recent re-viewing of Tampa Bay Thunder's DCA Prelims performance last year, I would have predicted that group to make Open Class Finals. It's a shame to hear they won't be touring.

As always, I predict that I will be wrong!

Edited by N.E. Brigand

"

Scouts in 13th? As much as I love my Troopers/Spirit/Crossmen, I really can't see Madison that low.

Edit: Crown, Cadets, and Bloo I'll take.[/quote

I think that if there was a good chance of Scouts moving up from the 9th or 10th zone it was going to happen in 2013.

Would be interesting to see Madison in 5th again though...

This may be the show that can do it for them. Not saying it will, but so far the indications are that it definitely has the potential!

• Like 1

My vote goes to the Boston Crusaders for the most improved Corps during the course of the 2013 summer season. They finished 6th out of 6 Corps on June 22nd ( behind Spirit, and more than a couple of points behind Cavaliers ) and were ranked 14th the first week on DCP Rankings. They trailed Cavs, Madison, BK, for much of the season. But they wound up 8th, just a mere tenth behind the Cavaliers at Finals for 7th. They really came on strong to finish their season well and breaking into the 90's.

As for the most improved Corps year over end ( 2013 from 2012 ), that honor seems to go to The Troopers, imo. In an age when its difficult to move up more than 2 placement positions from one year to the next, The Troopers went from 18th in 2013 to 13th in 2012, and came within less than 2 tenths of shocking the Blue Stars in the Semi's and edging them for that coveted Finalist spot. Their Semi's performance was " on ", and almost became the shocker of Championship week, imo.

Have to agree that Boston did improve a tremendous amount as well.

I think it could be one of the most interesting years in drum corps. Every year the 10-17 spots get more exciting, and the newest World Class and top Open Class corps have really improved over the last few years. My guesses for 2014

1. Blue Devils

2. Tie Cadets and Santa Clara Vanguard

4. Carolina Crown

5. Cavaliers

6. Boston Crusaders

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Madison Scouts

9. Bluecoats

10. Blue Knights

11. Blue Stars

12. Spirit Of Atlanta

Semis

13. Colts

14 Pacific Crest

15. Crossmen

16. Academy

17. Blue Devils B

18. Troopers

19. Vanguard Cadets

20. Oregon Crusaders

21. Mandarins

22. Jersey Surf

23. Genesis

24. Spartans

25. Cascades

Crown in 4th?? And my God are you serious about the bluecoats being in 9th????? You clearly haven't heard their source music for this year!

I think it could be one of the most interesting years in drum corps.

Crown in 4th?? And my God are you serious about the bluecoats being in 9th????? You clearly haven't heard their source music for this year!

Crown's average position over the past ten years is 4.5, so it could be argued that 4th is the safe bet.

On the other hand, Bluecoats' average position over the past ten years is 5.3, so 9th is indeed a riskier guess.

Crown's average position over the past ten years is 4.5, so it could be argued that 4th is the safe bet.

On the other hand, Bluecoats' average position over the past ten years is 5.3, so 9th is indeed a riskier guess.

Of course choosing a 10 year average is an "interesting" choice considering Crown's 10 year trend...

DPtXaWN.png

• Like 1