Staff merri-go-round

Didn't "her guard" score lower than the staff she replaced? It's not about your feelings/Hop's feelings about her. It's the results that speak volumes. I watched the same rifle kid drop 5 times in the 3 days at the same spots in the show doing simple tosses. Either the training was wrong or the wrong person was in that position on the field with no adjustment from prelims to finals. Results, results, results mean scores.

Not defending placement or performance as the only thing I am good for to a guard is stopwatches. I just hate to see a friend get trashed because of who she loves.

• Like 1

I would argue that he probably wants to turn the day to day operations of the Cadets over to someone else but probably hasn't been able to find the right person.

He had the right person in his office waiting. He waited so long, the person got an even better gig running the most successful drum corps organization of the last 45 years.

• Like 7

If the rumor mills are true (and, my feeling is that the mills are grinding at about 80% on point), then I will be a sad guy. As much as I get that GH is a complex, complicated and often difficult guy, I want the very best for him and The Cadets...whether they are together or apart. The very best.

• Like 2

Didn't "her guard" score lower than the staff she replaced? It's not about your feelings/Hop's feelings about her. It's the results that speak volumes. I watched the same rifle kid drop 5 times in the 3 days at the same spots in the show doing simple tosses. Either the training was wrong or the wrong person was in that position on the field with no adjustment from prelims to finals. Results, results, results mean scores.

Kristy didn't design the program, and her ability to clean is dependent on the talent level of the guard. Cadets aren't the "destination guard" that they used to be, and haven't been for quite some time. It takes *years* to rebuild a program, and I think she is well on her way to rebuilding the guard as the over all corps transforms into a modern ensemble.

• Like 1

He had the right person in his office waiting. He waited so long, the person got an even better gig running the most successful drum corps organization of the last 45 years.

I've worked around big time college athletics for a very long time, with some of the most mercurial head coaches in the game. When someone says, Even if we wanted to get rid of the guy, there isn't anyone qualified in the organization to replace him...big sign of serious trouble. Very alluring, but very unwise to build an organization around one gigantic personality, imho. It always seems to lead to a predictable disaster. Far more examples of bad outcomes than successful ones. You cannot allow a successful organization to depend solely on one person. Steve Jobs learned that lesson the hard way, and when he came back to Apple he finally took the advice of smart(er) people around him and let them shine.

No one castes a longer shadow in the NFL than Dan Reeves. He was, by all intents and purposes, the entire Denver Broncos organization, a Hall of Fame coach who literally wrote the book on what we now know as the modern NFL offense.

But Dan was a wonderful person, and an empowering leader, and people walked over hot coals for him. When Reeves retired, a reporter asked him how the Broncos could ever replace him. He smiled, and said, "stick your hand into a bucket of water, and pull it out, see how fast the water fills up the hole? That's how fast the Broncos will replace me."

Reeves never needed the Broncos to bend under his will. As a result, it always did, willingly. Dude understood leadership. Look at the Broncos today.

• Like 2

I've worked around big time college athletics for a very long time, with some of the most mercurial head coaches in the game. When someone says, Even if we wanted to get rid of the guy, there isn't anyone qualified in the organization to replace him...big sign of serious trouble. Very alluring, but very unwise to build an organization around one gigantic personality, imho. It always seems to lead to a predictable disaster. Far more examples of bad outcomes than successful ones. You cannot allow a successful organization to depend solely on one person. Steve Jobs learned that lesson the hard way, and when he came back to Apple he finally took the advice of smart(er) people around him and let them shine.

No one castes a longer shadow in the NFL than Dan Reeves. He was, by all intents and purposes, the entire Denver Broncos organization, a Hall of Fame coach who literally wrote the book on what we now know as the modern NFL offense.

But Dan was a wonderful person, and an empowering leader, and people walked over hot coals for him. When Reeves retired, a reporter asked him how the Broncos could ever replace him. He smiled, and said, "stick your hand into a bucket of water, and pull it out, see how fast the water fills up the hole? That's how fast the Broncos will replace me."

Reeves never needed the Broncos to bend under his will. As a result, it always did, willingly. Dude understood leadership. Look at the Broncos today.

. A kind and benevolent leader.
  • Like 1

Changing the drill and show story up to 2 weeks before finals WILL affect the guard.

Even if the location has changed a cg member, at the Cadets level, should be able to execute standard spins/tosses with a high regularity it would seem.

Even if the location has changed a cg member, at the Cadets level, should be able to execute standard spins/tosses with a high regularity it would seem.

I've heard of at least one section of work that was changed 12 times. With that much re-learning of choreography going on, muscle memory doesn't have time to truly set, so there is much more potential for unexpected error when the movement has not yet become automatic.

• Like 1

Kristy didn't design the program, and her ability to clean is dependent on the talent level of the guard. Cadets aren't the "destination guard" that they used to be, and haven't been for quite some time. It takes *years* to rebuild a program, and I think she is well on her way to rebuilding the guard as the over all corps transforms into a modern ensemble.

Its getting the right person in place and I have worked with all involved. #### , There's few people in the activity that I havent worked with.. I guess if you have been around since dirt that's what happens,lol. Anyway, I was concerned about this from the beginning, personality, ( which there have been issues at C2, and other places Kristy has been ) Doing a HS guard, even a WC one is not the same as a top DCI guard.Now all that aside it takes much more to be able to get a DCI guard into that top 5 status that Cadets need. There is talent there for sure , top 5 , no. Joe who I think is a big talent needs a leash sometimes. He over writes everything.

One can be a ##### for sure when cleaning ( look at the old days with April ) BUT the key to all this is having the membership KNOW that you are on their side. I have worked enough with all parties to know that is NOT the message one gets.

I almost never chime in on specifics or never people but my own position has changed within the activity and I have made some rounds specifically chiming in on things like this as well as design so I feel I might have a little more freedom with my own opinion. Which of course is just an opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING